General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What Is Poorma's Cai?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 11:32 AM

I WAS WONDERING WHAT THIS WAS...IS THIS THE CAI THAT YOU MAKE AT HOME? IF SO HOW IS THIS DONE? PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST WHOEVER KNOWS ABOUT THIS....THANX
Old 03-26-2001, 02:52 PM
Ramius83

It is basically just taking PVC piping and making a CAI identical to that of Place Racing's CAI. You can do it many other ways too. This is basically for all you po' folks out there....just kidding. It is basically for people that have a lot of time and very little money. If you have the money, just get the real one. Alothough the Poorman's CAI isn't a "show-off" piece, it does work quite well, just make sure everything is secure and everything is cleaned up well before turning on the Max or your engine will be eating plastic (not good). Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2001, 05:03 PM
Jimbo

Umm, not really

I guess what you describe could be considered a poor man's CAI, but not Dave B's Poorman's CAI. I think that is what 1Phat Max is inquiring about. The fact that it costs very little to make is only an added bonus. This mod is just starting to catch on. From what I have heard, read, seen, and felt, it works better than the PR CAI. The name, Poorman's CAI, is kind of misleading, because even "rich" people are starting to use it. It is not gaining popularity because people with "very little money" can do it, it is gaining popularity because it seems to work very well.

Use the search function to find out more.

Following taken from one of Dave B's posts:

"The Poorman's cai is extremely easy to make since it uses the stock airbox and intake tract. Underneath the intake pipe that runs to the top of the radiator, there is a 2.5" elbow that goes from the intake pipe to a large resonator box under the battery. You simply pop this 2.5" elbow out and pop in a piece of 2.5" shopvac hose. Take the hose and run it underneath the car. I also bypassed the upper resonator (between the MAF and throttle body) and added a K&N panel. The great thing about the stock airbox is that it has a great ram-air setup already. Bypassing the resonators, adding a slightly better filter, and running more intake piping makes for a quiet and good flowing setup, IMO. The setup looks COMPLETELY stock whne you pop the hood. Bypassing the resonators gives the intake a subdued growl which something it doesn't have stock. The lower intake pipe flat out works because I've found road sand in the filter. It would take a pretty strong vacumn to pull a piece of sand approximately 3 feet through a 2.5" hose. Finally, the stock airbox becomes pressurized at speed which will give even more power, but won't be seen on a dyno unless you've got a huge fan blowing on the car."

Originally posted by Ramius83
It is basically just taking PVC piping and making a CAI identical to that of Place Racing's CAI. You can do it many other ways too. This is basically for all you po' folks out there....just kidding. It is basically for people that have a lot of time and very little money. If you have the money, just get the real one. Alothough the Poorman's CAI isn't a "show-off" piece, it does work quite well, just make sure everything is secure and everything is cleaned up well before turning on the Max or your engine will be eating plastic (not good). Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2001, 05:11 PM

Re: Umm, not really

Originally posted by Jimbo
I guess what you describe could be considered a poor man's CAI, but not Dave B's Poorman's CAI. I think that is what 1Phat Max is inquiring about. The fact that it costs very little to make is only an added bonus. This mod is just starting to catch on. From what I have heard, read, seen, and felt, it works better than the PR CAI. The name, Poorman's CAI, is kind of misleading, because even "rich" people are starting to use it. It is not gaining popularity because people with "very little money" can do it, it is gaining popularity because it seems to work very well.

Use the search function to find out more.

Following taken from one of Dave B's posts:

"The Poorman's cai is extremely easy to make since it uses the stock airbox and intake tract. Underneath the intake pipe that runs to the top of the radiator, there is a 2.5" elbow that goes from the intake pipe to a large resonator box under the battery. You simply pop this 2.5" elbow out and pop in a piece of 2.5" shopvac hose. Take the hose and run it underneath the car. I also bypassed the upper resonator (between the MAF and throttle body) and added a K&N panel. The great thing about the stock airbox is that it has a great ram-air setup already. Bypassing the resonators, adding a slightly better filter, and running more intake piping makes for a quiet and good flowing setup, IMO. The setup looks COMPLETELY stock whne you pop the hood. Bypassing the resonators gives the intake a subdued growl which something it doesn't have stock. The lower intake pipe flat out works because I've found road sand in the filter. It would take a pretty strong vacumn to pull a piece of sand approximately 3 feet through a 2.5" hose. Finally, the stock airbox becomes pressurized at speed which will give even more power, but won't be seen on a dyno unless you've got a huge fan blowing on the car."

it is also known as an OSCAI... i have one and it is really great... and its not the $$ thats involved as was stated... cause i went out to buy the K&N panel which is like $55 plus the piping which was another $8 and the coupler which was $8 and i bought aluminum shears to cut the pipe... which were $14... so basically i did it cause it works as a CAI and it doesnt have the loud nose u hear when u remove the stock airbox... also it does look stock which i like... i was going to buy the PR CAI but when i saw this i decided not to and i used that $$ for other mods...
Old 03-26-2001, 05:37 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Ramius83
one word or advice...BAD! PVC is BAD!
Old 03-26-2001, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

one word or advice...BAD! PVC is BAD!

i used aluminum hosing for mine... i found it in home depot in the ducts aisle... it works great... I dont know if the OSCAI is better than the PR CAI... i think the PR CAI might get a little bit more HP than the OSCAI but its not documented... but i can tell u and so can many others that the OSCAI (poormans CAI) IS better than the poop chargers (hehe poop) and other types of intakes like it cause they suck hot engine air while the OSCAI and the PR CAI take cold fresh air in
Old 03-26-2001, 06:48 PM

ANY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS?

does anybody has specific (detailed write up) on how to do this? with pics if any ones got it? i plan to try this if i could get some specific instructions.. thanx to all who has replied to my q.....
Old 03-26-2001, 07:09 PM
Got Bent?

Re: ANY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS?

Originally posted by 1Phat Max
does anybody has specific (detailed write up) on how to do this? with pics if any ones got it? i plan to try this if i could get some specific instructions.. thanx to all who has replied to my q.....
Do a search for OSCAI on the 5th gen forum....also try:

http://www.his.com/~wc/maxima/svcai.htm

it's for the 2k maxima, but the same stuff applies for the 4th gen. The only difference being that the hole in the scoop is 2" in diameter rather than 3" like on the 5th gen.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:44 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You can check out my homepage for a pic of the Poorman's CAI. The Poorman's CAI is a little different than the OSCAI because the Poorman's CAI runs the lower intake pipe under the nose of the bumper and it faces the oncoming air. The OSCAI just faces the intake pipe down at the splash shield which doesn't make sense. Why? Because at speed, the air underneath the car actually draw air out of the pipe. You need to face forward. I use to have an HKS intake which was very nice, but pretty loud. I was getting sick of loud and needed to try something else out. I have shown in dyno runs that the Poorman's makes as much power as the HKS "pop" setup. At speed, the Poorman's CAI should flow even better. My car also is running .2 quicker than last season which is due to better tires, driving, etc. BUT I'm still getting 94mph trap speeds like before which means I'm still making the same power.

Dave ......it's all about the numbers
Old 03-26-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
You can check out my homepage for a pic of the Poorman's CAI. The Poorman's CAI is a little different than the OSCAI because the Poorman's CAI runs the lower intake pipe under the nose of the bumper and it faces the oncoming air. The OSCAI just faces the intake pipe down at the splash shield which doesn't make sense. Why? Because at speed, the air underneath the car actually draw air out of the pipe. You need to face forward. I use to have an HKS intake which was very nice, but pretty loud. I was getting sick of loud and needed to try something else out. I have shown in dyno runs that the Poorman's makes as much power as the HKS "pop" setup. At speed, the Poorman's CAI should flow even better. My car also is running .2 quicker than last season which is due to better tires, driving, etc. BUT I'm still getting 94mph trap speeds like before which means I'm still making the same power.

Dave ......it's all about the numbers

ye i cut a whole in my splash guard and brought the pipe under the radiator and up through the front air dam so it is facing forward... i put mesh over the front so nothing large can get in there like leaves or something that can clog it up