General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan Maxima is the #2 winner of "Total Quality" from Strategic Vision

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Nissan Maxima is the #2 winner of "Total Quality" from Strategic Vision

Strategic Vision

2004 Model Winners

Mid-Size Car Segment

1 Acura TSX 888
2 Nissan Maxima 881
3 Volkswagen Passat 877

Others above segment average:
Hyundai XG 350 875
Volvo S40 874
Buick Regal 868
Honda Accord Sedan 866
Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 864

Segment Average: 858

Other vehicles in this segment:
Nissan Altima
Mazda6
Mercury Sable
Toyota Camry
Chevrolet Impala
Dodge Intrepid
Ford Taurus
Buick Century

* Convertibles and station wagons excluded

Source: 2004 Vehicle Experience Study™
Strategic Vision, Inc.
Even though the TSX is a nice car, the Maxima should of been #1
Old 05-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Old Maxima Legend

agreed ! im not a fan of the TSX at all !
Old 05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

i am a fan of the tl that is the only honda/acura product i like but the tsx does not deserve to be #1
Old 05-27-2004, 05:44 PM
brotherhood of tq

i wonder who got to vote?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In build quality I think the TSX has the Maxima beat. Granted the Maxima will show tailights to the TSX all day, but that is not the issue here. I also feel that BMW (any series) should be rated high in Total Quality. The Buick Regal got a pretty high score, thats surprising.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:37 PM

I wonder what they really evaluated based on in terms of quality. Is it the build? Fit and finish? The feel? Additionally who are those suryvers? Owners?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:22 AM
What's next!?..

The buick and pontiac are above average??! I'm shocked.

How was this rating done?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 AM
is invisible

Biased! Honda/Acura paid for that study!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:10 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
In build quality I think the TSX has the Maxima beat. Granted the Maxima will show tailights to the TSX all day, but that is not the issue here. I also feel that BMW (any series) should be rated high in Total Quality. The Buick Regal got a pretty high score, thats surprising.

Exactly. The issue is quality, not performance.

Besides the fact that GM is getting better in quality, I'm not surprised Buick is up there, considering who the typical Buick owner is: Grandma isn't usually testing the performance of her Buick when she heads off to church on Sunday morning. With that kind of driving its highly unlikely any quality issues will arise.

For those who don't think the TSX should be up there, please explain why (why you maxima should be #1).
Old 05-29-2004, 07:52 PM

The TSX is a solid car. I've sat in one, and the quality is just in there!
What surprises me is there isn't a Toyota vehicle above the segment average. Even more surprising is how the Regal beat out the Accord
I wonder how this survey is done?
Old 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM
raj
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximadave
Even though the TSX is a nice car, the Maxima should of been #1
The Total Quality Index by Strategic Vision takes into account a lot of intangibles like brand image and how emotionally attached consumers are to the car. I am not entirely surprised that the Max did not get the top rating. I am actually quite pleasantly surprised that it is still rated so well despite moving away from the 4DSC concept!

Automobile ranked the Maxima SE 12th out of 13 "sport" sedans in October 2003. The winner was Acura TSX, followed by BMW 325i, followed by Infiniti G35. Other sedans in that comparo included Mercedes C320, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi EVO, Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Maxda 6s, and some others I cannot recall. The G35 blew everything into the weeds in terms of objective performance (matched the EVO in acceleration at 5.6s 0-60, and the BMW in handling, and topped everyone in braking). The Maxima SE had good acceleration numbers (0-60 in 6.1s, the same as the WRX got in that test), but lost out big time because the subjective evauation (partially substantiated by objective skidpad nymbers) of handling was poor. Even the Grand Prix (with an optional sports package) finished ahead of the Maxima. So, as a long time admirer of the Maxima, I am very pleased that it is still held in such high regard!

BTW, I replaced my 1998 Maxima SE with a 2003.5 G35 6MT about a year ago because I felt the G was truer to the 4DSC claim. [The Max is still in the family -- my son's ride.] In my opinion, Nissan started diluting the Maxima's sport sedan credentials from 2000 onwards.

I ran into a recent Strategic Vision study of the Total Quality Index of car brands. Infiniti is tied for the top with Mercedes (898) and Nissan (862) is slightly above industry average (858), in good company (Honda 861). So Nissan Motors has much to be proud about, and it is nice to see perceptions changing.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
BMW has dropped in quality big time; this is the first time in 20-25 yrs that BMW's quality is lower than the big 3 (US) average, according to JD Power.
As far as Buick they have come a long way Consumer Reports now recommends that Regal as a car worth buying. The one I had was so-so.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

It’s based on the term “Total Quality Management.” The definition I have resourced is below.

"Total Quality Management is a structured system for satisfying internal and external customers and suppliers by integrating the business environment, continuous improvement, and breakthroughs with development, improvement, and maintenance cycles while changing organizational culture.
One of the keys to implementing TQM can be found in this definition. It is the idea that TQM is a structured system. In describing TQM as a structured system, I mean that it is a strategy derived from internal and external customer and supplier wants and needs that have been determined through Daily Management, Hoshin, Hoshin Management, and Cross-Functional Management.
Pinpointing internal and external requirements allows us to continuously improve, develop, and maintain quality, cost, delivery, and morale. TQM is a system that integrates all of this activity and information."

It's not just the quality of build of the car, but everything surrounding that. Basically TQI determines how well a company or division is following it's strategy.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:11 AM

I think if they did a survey of repeat buyers of the same line of automobile, maximas would win hands down. Almost every maxima owner I know is on their 2nd or 3rd maxima. The loyalty to this car over the past 15 years has been unsurpassed. It's too bad nissan threw a lot of that away even though we are a small segment.

and IMO the 5.5 gen was the last true 4DSC. Sure it's FWD but it hauls ***
Old 06-03-2004, 06:14 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Chinkzilla
I think if they did a survey of repeat buyers of the same line of automobile, maximas would win hands down. Almost every maxima owner I know is on their 2nd or 3rd maxima. The loyalty to this car over the past 15 years has been unsurpassed. It's too bad nissan threw a lot of that away even though we are a small segment.
As a Max owner and as member of the .org, you're probably be inclined to feel that way; but I know of plenty of Accord/Camry/Civic owners who are on their 3rd car in the same line as well.

There's more to 4DSC than just hauling ***.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:01 AM

Your right I read an article recently and it said the Maxima and the Z has the strongest model loyalty in the Nissan lineup and has been that way for years.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sagamax
i am a fan of the tl that is the only honda/acura product i like but the tsx does not deserve to be #1

i agree completely.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:38 PM

You want a 4 door sports car, how about the STI and the EVO?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

You guys all are viewing this a totally different way than what the award actually is. It has NOTHING to do with customer loyalty or even what the customer thinks of the product once they buy it. It has to do with a company meeting it's strategic vision/objective and how well they meet it.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:16 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 30585
i agree completely.

Because you own a Maxima?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:07 AM

what's with all the hostility?

We're on a maxima board, some fanboyism is allowed

Eric425: STI and EVO aren't really in the same class, we're talking mid-size sedan here, not 4 door compact that also does double duty as a WRC racer. Besides, if you knew what I meant by 4DSC, that's a trademarked label nissan gave maximas in the early 90's. I was commenting on how the 6th gen has strayed from the spirit of that name. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:41 PM

what's with all the hostility?

Eric425: STI and EVO aren't really in the same class, we're talking mid-size sedan here, not 4 door compact that also does double duty as a WRC racer. Besides, if you knew what I meant by 4DSC, that's a trademarked label nissan gave maximas in the early 90's. I was commenting on how the 6th gen has strayed from the spirit of that name. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Yeah, I know. You just sounded bummed that the 6th gen has strayed so far, like you were looking for a harder 4 door sports car and you were disappointed that Nissan didn't deliver with one for the 6th gens. The Sti and Evo are the truest, real 4 door sports cars out there and priced about the same as a 6th gen. I was just trying to help out. Nissan might have changed it up on the 04's, but there's lots of great, 4 doored power house cars in the 30K market nowadays, so cheer up. I'm sure you'll be able to find something to your liking. Hey, if you want a real nice 4 door beast, how about the audi rs6? Oh man, twin turbo V8....
Old 06-04-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
You guys all are viewing this a totally different way than what the award actually is. It has NOTHING to do with customer loyalty or even what the customer thinks of the product once they buy it. It has to do with a company meeting it's strategic vision/objective and how well they meet it.
You're absolutely right, the numbers mean absolutely nothing. I just spent 1700 miles with a 2k4 Pontiac Grand Prix. It got a high number on this rating. That's Pontiac's vision? Pretty poor vision, another car that though it has more steering feel than a Maxima, it's basically poor handling. Only way to turn on the map lights and the lights on the rear handles is by the driver's ****. Is this a 1968 concept or what? Fake dual exhausts too, has a y-pipe leading to 2 mufflers with 4 tips. Vision, huh?

One thing I will say for the Grand Prix, that bad-boy delivered 32 mpg, no joke, from Syracuse to Philly. Avg'd about 78 mph too. Leave it to the lock-up torque converter. Plus that thing is under 2000 rpm at 60 mph.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eric425
Yeah, I know. You just sounded bummed that the 6th gen has strayed so far, like you were looking for a harder 4 door sports car and you were disappointed that Nissan didn't deliver with one for the 6th gens. The Sti and Evo are the truest, real 4 door sports cars out there and priced about the same as a 6th gen. I was just trying to help out. Nissan might have changed it up on the 04's, but there's lots of great, 4 doored power house cars in the 30K market nowadays, so cheer up. I'm sure you'll be able to find something to your liking. Hey, if you want a real nice 4 door beast, how about the audi rs6? Oh man, twin turbo V8....
lol nah i'm not bummed. like i said 5.5 gen still qualifies imo, and i'm gonna be driving this car for quite a while. Nissan hasn't abandoned the concept completely, they've got cars in the infiniti line up that qualify as well as the new altima SE-R. It's just that the maxima no longer carries on the flame.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
You're absolutely right, the numbers mean absolutely nothing. I just spent 1700 miles with a 2k4 Pontiac Grand Prix. It got a high number on this rating. That's Pontiac's vision? Pretty poor vision, another car that though it has more steering feel than a Maxima, it's basically poor handling. Only way to turn on the map lights and the lights on the rear handles is by the driver's ****. Is this a 1968 concept or what? Fake dual exhausts too, has a y-pipe leading to 2 mufflers with 4 tips. Vision, huh?

One thing I will say for the Grand Prix, that bad-boy delivered 32 mpg, no joke, from Syracuse to Philly. Avg'd about 78 mph too. Leave it to the lock-up torque converter. Plus that thing is under 2000 rpm at 60 mph.
Exactly. Pontiac's strategic goal for that car for the particular year could have been to have the best MPG in it's class or obtain a VERY high MPG. The strategic goal can be specific or more widespread. So obtaining a high MPG is definitely a possible strategic goal for them. They were probably hoping it would stand out more to the consumer due to the gas prices and environmental issues to date.