General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is Nissan capable of selling a car for over list?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 05:01 PM

Is Nissan capable of selling a car for over list?

The list of cars that sell at premium over list is now longer than my 36" arms. My friend just shopped for a STi and pulling all the stops driving a hard bargain, he probably got the best deal in the tri-State area. List price when everyone else is doing $500-$700 over. haha of course we all know there is no such thing as the best deal, once in a lifetime deal, etc.

But with Nissan's artificially-inflated list prices, could they ever sell something for over sticker? Ok, besides a 350 cabrio. The reviews on the Z as it gets older are so unkind. Can Nissan kick the interior up a notch? But depreciation on 350's is very Maxima-esque.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Frank, just go buy a BMW.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 PM

amen, I thought he would have had a Hyundia by now.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:41 PM
brotherhood of tq

dont knock the turbo v6 tiburon... but go buy anything but a nissan... i've had two and both gave me huge headaches. leave now while u can! run away from this company and their shoddy cars.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

List price for an STi? They are going for below list here... I personally think paying over list is nuts. I remember when the PT Cruiser was going for several thousand above list. Now they are hard to get out the door!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:41 PM

I find it hard to believe to buy a STi for below the list price. They are in huge demand, consequenstially, they are poor resale value. I saw a year old STI already decpricated to nearly 60% of the value. That stings. I rather have a mercedes or BMW as far as residual value is concern
Old 05-28-2004, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2000 911 Turbo. Hands down.
or the M5 of the same year...
Old 05-28-2004, 07:43 AM
Still kickin'

Originally Posted by Mishmosh
I remember when the PT Cruiser was going for several thousand above list. Now they are hard to get out the door!
My dad considered on of those when they first came out, but he came to his senses and got a new '00 se max for less than the PT.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

Your statement doesn't make any sense. If they are in huge demand, new versions will sell for over list. Okay fine. But if that is true, used or slightly used versions will hold their resale value. Ie.. when the Miata came out, used versions actually sold for more than new because people didn't have to wait for delivery on a new one.

If an used STI depreciated 60% in just one year, why would anyone pay over list for a new one??

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I find it hard to believe to buy a STi for below the list price. They are in huge demand, consequenstially, they are poor resale value. I saw a year old STI already decpricated to nearly 60% of the value. That stings. I rather have a mercedes or BMW as far as residual value is concern
Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 AM

Are we forgetting our Econ 101 here? The only way to inflate prices is to work one side of the supply/demand equation. Most companies will build as many vehicles as they believe they can sell, and hope that the car is desirable enough to command somewhere near list. Most cases of cars selling over list are niche vehicles that just happen to grab the publics fancy, so their limited supply works for them (think Prowler, early Thunderbirds, etc.).

Most Nissan dealers would be tickled to sell their cars for list, but there are 300 more of them down the street, and 300 more down the street from that guy, in short - too much supply (or not enough demand). Remember - market value is what a WILLING buyer will pay a WILLING seller. Just my .02!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:49 AM

STi's and EVO's do not sell well here in Cleveland, OH. I do not see very many of them around. One area dealer has recently posted a brand new EVO on ebay! Brand new with 10 miles on the ODO!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Mishmosh
STi's and EVO's do not sell well here in Cleveland, OH. I do not see very many of them around. One area dealer has recently posted a brand new EVO on ebay! Brand new with 10 miles on the ODO!!!
One would think these cars would be hot whereever they are sold. But it's true...WRXs are rare and I've only seen 3 EVOs. Spitzger Mitsu is offering $4k off the EVO; I didn't know the STi was in the same predicament.
Then again, my friend paid sticker for his 2k3 WRX.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
I didn't know the STi was in the same predicament.
Then again, my friend paid sticker for his 2k3 WRX.
The STi situation is not as bad as the EVO (not sure why). One dealer even went so far as to post on lersoc.com (lake erie region subaru club) some months ago that their dealership would sell STi's for $1k below list, no questions asked. Doubt that's the case now, heading into the summer season.

Plain jane WRX's are sold for very near invoice pricing though. I personally got my '04 WRX wagon for $200 over invoice.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Are we forgetting our Econ 101 here? The only way to inflate prices is to work one side of the supply/demand equation. Most companies will build as many vehicles as they believe they can sell, and hope that the car is desirable enough to command somewhere near list. Most cases of cars selling over list are niche vehicles that just happen to grab the publics fancy, so their limited supply works for them (think Prowler, early Thunderbirds, etc.).

Most Nissan dealers would be tickled to sell their cars for list, but there are 300 more of them down the street, and 300 more down the street from that guy, in short - too much supply (or not enough demand). Remember - market value is what a WILLING buyer will pay a WILLING seller. Just my .02!
That's weird, where I took econ 301 it wasn't like that at all. But who knows, maybe Ben Franklin specialized in fuzzy economics!

The cars we are talking about are mass-produced, we're not talking hand made, one-of-a-kind, etc. Nissan and Subaru don't have any secret agenda where they're gonna manipulate elasticities of demand or shift supply curves.

A good point was brought up, maybe I can clarify. STi does have more depreciation $-wise than a Maxima SE. But Maxima has a steeper depreciation %-wise--not that many cars are worse. Maybe Cavalier and Sunfire, and some of the Kias.

See, I think the gist of your thoughts apply to equities, like the stock market. But with cars, there are a lot of factors. Take emotion and lack of information for starters. And about buying a BMW, assuming 3 yr. loan, 20% down, minimum payment is in the $820 range for a 175 hp 325. No thanks, maybe when I'm in my late 30's. Where I come from money don't grow on trees!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:55 PM

I'm sorry, but all I heard was...
Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
...buying a BMW...
Just kidding bud, I know where you're coming from. The Maxima is MUCH more economical in every single way than the BMW.

-Cyrus
Old 05-28-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
dont knock the turbo v6 tiburon...
Who said anything about a Tiburon... and since when are they turbo?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:43 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

It all depends on the market. For example; my dealership that I work for does not sell cars over sticker. I had to do a dealer trade out in Santa Monica and noticed their V6 Altimas and Z Roadsters were $1K over sticker. It all depends on the area you live in and the vehicle.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:18 AM

When the new altima came out, one of the dealerships in Charlotte had a $1000 "limited availability" premium marked on a sticker next to the window sticker. That was weird.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Come to Kansas City and you can get STi's below MSRP, WRXs at about $200 over invoice, and 04 Cobras for right around invoice. The Ford dealers here are overloaded with Cobras and they're not moving.

Dave
Old 05-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Way out West

I agree that it depends on where you are and what is selling at the moment. When the new Mustang hits showrooms, I would guess that the old style prices will plummet and the new ones will sell way above MSRP, just like what happened with the PT Cruiser thing like Mishmosh said.

I live in a rural area and the local Subaru dealer also is the local GM dealer. They have a pair of STi that have been sitting there for a couple of months and they are priced below MSRP (I only wish my wife would let me trade the QX4 for one). The same goes for an SSR, that I think is just a tad above MSRP. They have had a new GTO for a couple of weeks on the main display out front, too.

Being as it is a small economically depressed market here, if you really wanted any of the four cars I mentioned you could probably walk away with one of them for below MSRP, because they would be happy just to make a sale.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Old 05-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
dont knock the turbo v6 tiburon... but go buy anything but a nissan... i've had two and both gave me huge headaches. leave now while u can! run away from this company and their shoddy cars.
Turbo Tiburon? Where?

Why are you complaining? The cheaper the cars the better for the consumer.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:28 PM

when you can sell a toyota corolla for OVER list, then your the man...

I am the man
Old 06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
They sit at lots for a while around me my frind got one right when they came out for $1000 off.