General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

compressing rear calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 02:47 PM

compressing rear calipers

I realize that I'm supposed to just turn the thing. I'm turning and turning and turning and turning and turning and .............................................

Man this takes a long time. Is this other people's experiences?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Yeah man. Just keep turning until it won't
Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Ford Only.

Make sure the bleeder valve is wide open and push as hard as you can while you turn, it can be a pain. If it doesnt budge, you could have a seized caliper.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

donald - bleeder valve open? I've never done that before. If you do, be sure to bleed the brakes properly afterwards

I think you mean open the master cylinder cap to releive some pressure

make sure you're turning it clockwise and it should be retracting
Old 06-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
donald - bleeder valve open? I've never done that before. If you do, be sure to bleed the brakes properly afterwards

nope, I usually open it and it compresses easier. I usually always rebleed the system whenever messing with the brakes.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

u have to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise, and make sure your ebrake isnt up and make sure your car isnt in first gear. If u turn it wrong way it will open out. I believe clockwise is the right way.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 PM

Thanks guys. I got it done. I talked to an ex-Infiniti tech today and he told me that you are supposed to lift the rubber boot that's on the caliper. I didn't do that. That could be part of the reason why it was so difficult. I hope I didn't rip em.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»

No, there's never pressure against the cap on the master cylinder resevoir. It's there to keep brake fluid from absorbing moisture from the atmosphere. Typically, Dot 3 has a moisture absorbtion rate of 2% of it's volume a year, I believe. Even when you press down on the brake, the seals on the master and slave piston lay between the vent and replenishing ports on the master cylinder, which allows circulation between the fluid of the resevoir and the master without displacing any considerable amount, and therefore forcing pressure, into the resevoir itself.

Also, opening the bleeder doesn't nescessarily mean you'll get air in the lines. In fact, there's a method of bleeding referred to as gravity bleeding where the bleeder is left open to allow air to rise out of it's own force. It's when you open the bleeder, press down on the pedal, and then retract the pedal, creating a vacumn while the bleeder is open that you get air in the lines. It doesn't force it's way in. Air, being less dense, naturally will rise.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
u have to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise, and make sure your ebrake isnt up and make sure your car isnt in first gear. If u turn it wrong way it will open out. I believe clockwise is the right way.

Whats first gear have to do with anything?