General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Blown MAF :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

Blown MAF :(

well while cruising last night, car just got jumpity and died. It starts up perfectly but i cant rev past 2500 anymore, engine light came on, and the AFL on my SAFC shows 0.0. Its been really low recently but now its staying at 0.0. I tried driving wit filter off, same scenario...

I'm guessing blown MAF? gonna check code real quick. If it is blown MAF, where is cheapest place to get another one? and do i just need a new harness or what?

BTW, my filter is smaller than usual...wondering if that could cause this?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Sports Button FTW

ok, i got code 01 02. MAss air flow sensor. I checked and its plugged in....cant i just cut off the old sensor and put on a new one?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

www.car-parts.com, ~ 75 dollars
Old 06-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Sports Button FTW

so i just have to replace the plastic part right? i spoke to a knowledgeable friend and tahts what they told me. What would cause this to go bad?! i cant believe it just went bad out of nowhere. Anything i can do to prevent this BULLSH!T?!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Sports Button FTW

ok, a friend came by with a MAF and the problem continues. I resetted the ECU and when i start the 01 02 code comes up. yes i plugged teh harness in. Speaking of which, any chance the harness may just be bad? what should i do?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Kevlo for President

Re-ground the ground wire on the harness.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by kevlo911
Re-ground the ground wire on the harness.

i've tried two other MAF's, its definitely not the MAF. I am guessing its the harness cause the **** still doesnt work. I dont know how to ground the wire. I seen 3 wires, a red, yellow, and white. What should i do? Someone come help me . This car is going to nissan in the morning, i can feel it.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:50 PM
VIP Maxima

damn man, problems after problems after problems for u ever since u got taht SC

Old 06-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMaxSE
damn man, problems after problems after problems for u ever since u got taht SC
yea man, does anyone know what else to do?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
yea man, does anyone know what else to do?
I'll bet a donut the problem is with your SAFC. Whoever installed your SAFC really should have soldered the wires to make the connections instead of using the wire splices. You were already having problem with the tach signal, which could also be caused by a bad SAFC connection at the tach wire. Or maybe it is the SAFC itself that is giving you problems.

I suggest you have somebody remove your SAFC and reconnect the maf wires (they will have been cut). Then see if things are back to normal.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I'll bet a donut the problem is with your SAFC. Whoever installed your SAFC really should have soldered the wires to make the connections instead of using the wire splices. You were already having problem with the tach signal, which could also be caused by a bad SAFC connection at the tach wire. Or maybe it is the SAFC itself that is giving you problems.

I suggest you have somebody remove your SAFC and reconnect the maf wires (they will have been cut). Then see if things are back to normal.

all the wires for the SAFC installed were soldered. I guess it could be an SAFC issue, but what about the harness attached to the MAF? after disconnecting harness, i sometimes pull the sensor out by the wires instead of by the head. Car has a lot of miles and i had issues with rotten wires before (harness to ecu), so i guess maybe that harness is bad too? i just dont know how to tell where its bad and where to cut....i guess this type of problem is beyond me, and i just need to go to dealer....?

Funny thing is on saturday we have a meet in the north east and i bet there's a ton of people that can fix this problem, but i wont even make it there nor can i wait....
Old 06-02-2004, 06:53 PM

all the wires for the SAFC installed were soldered. I guess it could be an SAFC issue, but what about the harness attached to the MAF? after disconnecting harness, i sometimes pull the sensor out by the wires instead of by the head. Car has a lot of miles and i had issues with rotten wires before (harness to ecu), so i guess maybe that harness is bad too? i just dont know how to tell where its bad and where to cut....i guess this type of problem is beyond me, and i just need to go to dealer....?

Funny thing is on saturday we have a meet in the north east and i bet there's a ton of people that can fix this problem, but i wont even make it there nor can i wait....
Hmmm. Okay I guess I owe you a donut, and my apologies to whoever wired up your SAFC.

If you're pulling on the wires to disconnect the harness, then you probably stressed the connection.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Kevlo for President

i've tried two other MAF's, its definitely not the MAF. I am guessing its the harness cause the **** still doesnt work. I dont know how to ground the wire. I seen 3 wires, a red, yellow, and white. What should i do? Someone come help me . This car is going to nissan in the morning, i can feel it.

I am pretty sure hte white wire is hte ground. Tap into it as close as you can to the harness and run a wire to a good ground point.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Sports Button FTW

*****MAJOR UPDATE AND **** RAPAGE********

I finally gave up and took it to nissan. Luckily there were no customers so i didnt have to wait a year (i hate giving up a lot of money then having to wait). Anyway, my MAF and harness are in perfect shape. You guys wont believe what the friggin problem was.

Stephen Max, i owe u an apology, and a donut . The green wire on the ecu popped off somewhere and thats why SAFC was reading 0.0 AFL and thats why MAF acted as if it was bad. I paid 200 dollars to find this small silly a$$ problem and fix it. So mad, so friggin mad. I always have the dumbest problems. Once again, this issue is not SUPERCHARGER RELATED!!!! I have yet to have any supercharger related problems, just stupid problems with wiring or other BS....
Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 AM

*****MAJOR UPDATE AND **** RAPAGE********

I finally gave up and took it to nissan. Luckily there were no customers so i didnt have to wait a year (i hate giving up a lot of money then having to wait). Anyway, my MAF and harness are in perfect shape. You guys wont believe what the friggin problem was.

Stephen Max, i owe u an apology, and a donut . The green wire on the ecu popped off somewhere and thats why SAFC was reading 0.0 AFL and thats why MAF acted as if it was bad. I paid 200 dollars to find this small silly a$$ problem and fix it. So mad, so friggin mad. I always have the dumbest problems. Once again, this issue is not SUPERCHARGER RELATED!!!! I have yet to have any supercharger related problems, just stupid problems with wiring or other BS....

Ummmm. Krispy Kreme....

Glad you got the problem solved, Mecca. Too bad we all don't live closer to each other, I'm sure one of us could have found the problem pretty quick without resorting to the dealer.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:54 AM
Jedi Knight

Mecca...u always panic...stop being such a BIZNITCH!!!....lol....glad you got the issue resolve man...next time listen to advice from the org....I oughta kick you in the shins for wasting $200
Old 06-04-2004, 07:34 AM

Mecca, since you always have such dumb little problems with wire and such, you'd think by now you'd be calm when you posted this stuff. Yet you still freak out and act as though your Max has died forever. Come on bro, relax and trust that you'll be able to fix the problem
Now go out and race someone with that boost....

-Tony
Old 06-04-2004, 07:41 AM
I love lamp.

When in doubt...blame the SAFC! ....or in some cases, the CPS!

Mecca, you should get the wiring for the ECU/SAFC cleaned up a little. I remembered the picture you posted of it before....and that was freakin scary that I was having bad nightmares!

S