General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th & 5th Gen CD Changer Question Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 02:29 PM

I saw this auction on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=572923990

Here are the details:

--------------------------------
Title of item: Nissan 6 CD Changer NEW by Sherwood
Seller: bass_sales
Starts: Mar-23-01 13:28:44 PST
Ends: Mar-30-01 13:28:44 PST
Price: Starts at $125.00
Quantity: 25

You are bidding on brand new SHERWOOD changers that come with cables, screws and mounting brackets. In other words, ready to install. These changers are compatible with MAXIMA, ALTIMA, SENTRA, and PATHFINDER, from 1995-1999.

These pieces are fully warrantied for 90 days.
U.S. buyers pay fixed shipping of $20 each. Shipping discounts can be made if purchasing a quantity. Any others pay actual shipping with U.P.S. or Federal Express. We accept credit cards, Paypal, and ship C.O.D. (payment to be made with cashier's check or money order on C.O.D. shipments).
----------------------------

I've done a lot of browsing through this site and the consensus is that the only CD changers that work (without modulation) with the Nissan OEM stereo systems, including Bose, are USA-Spec and Clarion (CV737) changers.

This being the case, I decided to contact the seller.

Here's a summary of my communication with the seller:
---------------

Sent 3/24:

Does this changer work with Nissans equipped with Bose Audio systems? My Maxima has Bose audio in it. Can you provide additional specs on the changer? Also, if this unit does not work in my car, what is your return policy? Any information is appreciated.

-------------------
Reply sent 3/28:

THIS IS A BLOW OUT ON THESE CHANGERS AND YES IT WILL WORK WITH A BOSE SYSTEM. AS LONG AS YOUR RADIO HAS THE CONNECTION FOR A CHANGER IT WILL WORK. AS FAR AS SPECS IT IS A SMALL CHANGER ABOUT 250(W) x 67(H) X 160 (D)
mm. THE WEIGHGT IS ABOUT 2.1 kg. ANY OTHER SPECS YOUR LOOKING FOR, JUST ASK. I KNOW THAT THESE ARE ALPINE SYTLE CHANGERS AND WORK PRETTY GOOD.

THE RETURN WARRANTY IS DEFECTIVE ONLY. I HAVE GIVEN THE MODELS THAT IT FITS AND MY BOSS WANTS TO BLOW THEM OUT. I PUT THEM ON HERE FIRST FOR 175 BUT NOW I JUST WANT TO GET RID OF THEM. I SO MUCH MERCHANDISE IT JUST A SALE.
--------------------

Follow up reply sent 3/28:

One last question, I did some research and found that
the only changers that work in Nissan cars are Clarion
and USA Spec. Does Sherwood make CD changers for any
other cars?
----------------

Seller's reply 3/28:

I don't know where you heard that, but I was for a while in the aftermarket business. As long as you have the right cable almost any changer will work with any radio. The deal is that I had 800 changers for chrysler, nissan, toyota, and honda. I sold all the honda and the chryslers. They worked perfect and out of 200 honda changers I got back about 20. I have put one of these changers in a Nissan before and it worked fine. One of our
warehouse guys has a Pathfinder. USA spec is from what I have heard in the market, junk. Why because I'm in the O.E.M. business and we have been offered thousands. But there are a few other brands that make changers
that fit O.E.M. radios. Seirously. But thanks for asking.
--------------------------

Follow-up on 3/28:

Do these changers work in 2000-01 Nissan Maximas?
-----------------------

Seller's reply 3/29:

I don't know if I put it on the auction, but these cd changers work with the plugs and radios and not years. The nissan radio changed in 95 (the plug changed) and that was up to 99 when the changers were made.

But the honda changers we put an adapter on those and they worked for 99 & up which the plug did change. So it wasn't the radio that the changer had the problem with it was the plug. I personal don't know if the changed the plug in 2000, but if not then I'm pretty sure that it will work. That is for a 2000 Maxima. Thanks

-------------------------------

What do you all think about the response from the seller? I'm very skeptical. I have searched all over the place, including this web site, to find any indication that Sherwood made a CD changer for Nissan cars.

One thing I'd like to know is whether the same CD changer can be used between 4th and 5th Gen, including those models with Bose audio, e.g. USA-SPEC and Clarion CV737. If so, how does one explain the Sherwood changer?
Old 03-29-2001, 03:25 PM

If you are in doubt, then don't get it. Remember the seller said you only can return it if it is detected?

If it doesn't work, then you might have a hard time get rid of it....