General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can you get a ticket for tint when the car is parked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM

Can you get a ticket for tint when the car is parked?

Can you get a ticket for illegal window tint when your car is parked? I am in Illinois now, and it has never happened to me.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM

I'm guessing you can because you have to be driving the car to park somewhere hence you still drive with tints and get a ticket....NEVER HAPPENED TO ME....just logically thinking....
Old 06-16-2004, 06:47 PM
UCF Lexus

Its have to be a real pizzed off cop
Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM

illegal tint is still illegal weather you are driving or parking
Old 06-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Always sunny in philly

Yeah, but it'll probably be a cop that had a real rough day, or if your car stinks of ricer.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Hooooooonda.....

NO YOU CAN'T. A person can get a permit to have tint on the car. An old buddy of mine had 20% all around, including windshield, but he also had a doctor's permit or something. He had problems with his eyes, something about glare, that allowed him to have tint. He always carried the permit in his wallet and it always got him out of trouble.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:09 PM
I need a truck

No, because people some people have bad eye sight or bad skin that don't mesh well with the sun ... blah blah blah ... medical reasons. You can have a MD write a prescription for tints.

You can get pulled over for tint, but that's a different issue
Old 06-16-2004, 09:14 PM

my friend had a cop wait outside his school waiting for him to come out and gave him a ticket in the parking lot for the tints...he just gave him the ticket and left...now thats beat
Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

I don't see how you can get a ticket if it's parked. It's kinda like DWI, if a cop pulls into his 7-eleven and notice someone totally drunk getting into their car, unless that drivers puts the car into gear and proceeds to drive I dont see how the driver can get charged with DWI. The cop didn't see him pull into the 7-eleven, the driver could be getting into his car to sleep off the alcohol.

Just because it has a registered tags and illegal tints, how does the cop know it's not a show car that's being towed from city to city. Just because it's on public road doesn't mean it couldn't have been towed there. With registered tags it's allowed to be on public roads.

So to answer the original post I would say no you can't get a ticket for illegal tints if the car is parked.

PS: too bad my email notification isn't working because I would like to hear more on this subject

MIKE
Old 06-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

Wouldnt where the car is registered matter as well, If your car is registered in a state that allows darker tint wouldnt you be able to drive through a different state and be fine with the registration info?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

actually you can get a DUI for sleeping it off in your car... if you have the keys and are in your car they'll find a way to screw you over trust me
Old 06-17-2004, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by CandiMan
I don't see how you can get a ticket if it's parked. It's kinda like DWI, if a cop pulls into his 7-eleven and notice someone totally drunk getting into their car, unless that drivers puts the car into gear and proceeds to drive I dont see how the driver can get charged with DWI......

Last time I checked....when u get into the driver's seat and your drunk, you are DWI.....They don't like to take the risk of you going somewhere while your drunk so they arrest you before even starting the car.....THAT'S HOW STUPID THE LAWS ARE.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

First, the DUI example is irrelavent to this situation. The offense is the person who is drunk driving the car, not the car.

I am sure you can get a ticket for tinted front windows if the car is parked. I live in illinois and got two tickets for 20% tint on the front windows before I finally took it off. The chances of a cop writing a ticket for illegal tint on a parked car is probably very small, but I bet any judge would stand behind it.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:44 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
First, the DUI example is irrelavent to this situation. The offense is the person who is drunk driving the car, not the car.

I am sure you can get a ticket for tinted front windows if the car is parked. I live in illinois and got two tickets for 20% tint on the front windows before I finally took it off. The chances of a cop writing a ticket for illegal tint on a parked car is probably very small, but I bet any judge would stand behind it.
Ok maybe the DWI was a bit over the top. Let me ask you this, when you got the two tickets for your 20% were you driving or was the car parked? My guess you were driving? I still dont see how you can get a ticket if it's park, but it comes down to two people. The cop writing the ticket and the judge enforcing it. If both of them want to be a pain I guess they can. The more I think about it the more I think how possible and cheesy it could happen. But that's definately one ticket I would try to fight, with my arguement being at the time the ticket was wrote the car was not being driven on public roads.

MIKE
Old 06-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by CandiMan
Ok maybe the DWI was a bit over the top. Let me ask you this, when you got the two tickets for your 20% were you driving or was the car parked? My guess you were driving? I still dont see how you can get a ticket if it's park, but it comes down to two people. The cop writing the ticket and the judge enforcing it. If both of them want to be a pain I guess they can. The more I think about it the more I think how possible and cheesy it could happen. But that's definately one ticket I would try to fight, with my arguement being at the time the ticket was wrote the car was not being driven on public roads.

MIKE

My bet is that the burden of proof would be on you to prove that the car is not being driven on public roads. Good luck convincing a judge that the car is towed from place to place. I see your point, but that is not going to cut it in front of a judge. It's interesting to have this debate and all, but when it comes to a judge who sits in traffic court all day listening to people try to use technicalities to get out of tickets it's not going to work. Once that ticket is written you screwed.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:17 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
My bet is that the burden of proof would be on you to prove that the car is not being driven on public roads. Good luck convincing a judge that the car is towed from place to place. I see your point, but that is not going to cut it in front of a judge. It's interesting to have this debate and all, but when it comes to a judge who sits in traffic court all day listening to people try to use technicalities to get out of tickets it's not going to work. Once that ticket is written you screwed.
Once the ticket is written in this situation you're saying your screwed. You're not saying in all situation once the ticket is written you're screwed. With that being said, never the less it's a interesting debate. The same burden you have to prove that the car is not being driven on the road is the same burden the cop has to prove the car is being driven on the road. How many parked cars you pass in the hood with broken tale lights, crack windshield, etc. are the cops writing tickets for all those cars? Probably not because it would be a cheesy ticket, just like this one. The car not being driven.

BTW I didn't mean the car was being towed from here to there like you're going to the grocery store, then the cleaners, etc. I meant the car could be parked there waiting to be towed.

MIKE
Old 06-17-2004, 08:27 AM

I thought they had to give you the tint ticket with something else?

This guy on the next block had dark black tint on his 04 Max and he didn't get a ticket for it until he parked in a no parking zone at night. He got the parking ticket and tint ticket at the same time. Now he took off the tint.

This other guy in my building with a 95 or 96 Max tinted his rear 20% and front 35% and he still hasn't gotten a ticket since he doesn't park in a no parking zone.

I need to get a note
Old 06-17-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

all u got to say is it came stock from factory. they cant prove you wrong. they cant give you a ticket unless your car is moving.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:58 AM

i don't think they can give u a ticket for tint unless ur driving it.......

if ur drunk and sitting in the drivers side with the keys, ur DUI.....
Old 06-17-2004, 10:03 AM

If you have a doctor's excuse to have the dark tints then just bring it up to the judge and you'll be free. I think they have the right to give you a ticket but i'm not saying it's fair or not.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by killcrap
all u got to say is it came stock from factory. they cant prove you wrong. they cant give you a ticket unless your car is moving.

Heh heh This might be the dumbest post of the day winner right here!

If someone took your advice, they'd be lying to a police officer and/or a judge, they can prove you wrong by making ONE phone call, and yes, they can give you a ticket when you are parked and away from your vehicle. Not all violations are "moving" violations

Do yourself a favor folks...don't take advice from this moron!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fc95se
Can you get a ticket for illegal window tint when your car is parked? I am in Illinois now, and it has never happened to me.
why dont you call your local police station??????????????
Old 06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by skandalouz
i don't think they can give u a ticket for tint unless ur driving it.......

if ur drunk and sitting in the drivers side with the keys, ur DUI.....

Actually, most, if not all law enforcement officers who are charged with motor vehicle control have the authority to write tickets for any non-conformity of any state or federal law/rule/regulation/ordanance (based on jurisdiction, of course) at any time. That means moving vehicle or not.

Now for us "rednecks" in Georgia, we can have any tint we want at the moment and beat it in court (until they re-write the law that was just overturned)!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Reported

if tinting is legal in your state the cop wouldnt be able to give u a ticket because he couldnt measure the percentage without the windows being open right? he could assume its darker than the legal limit but that person may have a medical reason for it.
i was looking out the front of my house last week and i saw a cop pull down my street. i live in a quiet neighborhood and i rarely see cops on my street. anyways he passes my car and then turns around and comes back. as he approaches my car he slows down and im thinking "i hope he isnt about to write me a ticket for the tint and the clear corners." he just looked at it and drove off.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:49 PM
STFU n00b!

If you look at the tint on the driver's side window, there should be a small sticker on the glass near the door lock. on that sticker, it states the percentage and the DOT regulation (law) that governs it. If the tint doesn't have that sticker, then it's illegal, period. doesn't matter what state you're in.

If the cop thinks your tint is too dark, then they have reason so suspect it. they can make you roll down a window and actually test it, but I have a feeling the cop was smart enough to be able to tell just by looking. the 35% on my front windows is noticeably lighter than the 20% on my rears. with a few years of experience, a cop can easily tell between 20 and 35%... he's allowed to write a ticket based on that, then YOU have the burden of proof to prove you're innocent (nice how that works, isn't it? I thought it was innocent until proven guilty?)

anyway, cops can and will write tickets for a ar when it's not moving. missing license plates, bad tires, cracked lights, clear tails, tint, any other issue that would cause you to visually fail an inspection, a cop is allowed to write you a ticket for whether you're moving or not.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
NO YOU CAN'T. A person can get a permit to have tint on the car. An old buddy of mine had 20% all around, including windshield, but he also had a doctor's permit or something. He had problems with his eyes, something about glare, that allowed him to have tint. He always carried the permit in his wallet and it always got him out of trouble.
thats cool I need to get one of these
Old 06-17-2004, 09:38 PM
VIP Maxima

the cop cant give u a ticket without testing the % with his device. so imma have to say NOPE !

Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Heh heh This might be the dumbest post of the day winner right here!

If someone took your advice, they'd be lying to a police officer and/or a judge, they can prove you wrong by making ONE phone call, and yes, they can give you a ticket when you are parked and away from your vehicle. Not all violations are "moving" violations

Do yourself a favor folks...don't take advice from this moron!
OUCH.

it was under my impression that the cop has to TEST the tint level using a device... else they can't really write up a ticket and you should be able to fight it in court.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:19 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Doctor's note didn't stop local cop from writing me tickets at least 3 times.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 PM

Doctors note, didnt think about that

hehehehe
If I saw a cop doing it I would laugh lol
Old 06-18-2004, 06:41 AM

With 20% on your front windshield, can’t they take you in for attempted suicide?
Old 06-18-2004, 07:25 AM

they can not ticket your car for tint when parked. they would not have the driver license info to write on the ticket, that means owner would be responsible for the ticket and you can always say you werent the driver and the driver tinted.
Only parking violation can be given when car is parked.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Magellan
With 20% on your front windshield, can’t they take you in for attempted suicide?
He must have driven only on sunny days...
Old 06-18-2004, 07:57 AM

your part right big d you can get a permit for tint, but if you dont display it or actually be there when your getting the ticket they can still write it but if you send proof in the mail they will throw it out. one day i was in manhattan and i parked at a meter that was not working. i happened to come back just as a cop pulled up and motioned that i was leaving. they still was gonna give me a parking ticket and we started to argue. well after that he decides to measure my tint and gives me a ticket for that too. i said im not driving the car and he said so what and put the tickets on the car. so the moral of this story is you can get a ticket and dont argue with cops cause you cant win.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:39 AM

cops in nyc are using ****** about these things. i'd just accept it, be couteous, and fight it out later.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:41 AM

Let's get one thing straight, the law in IL is that your can have ANY % in the rear, but NO tint in the front windows (except the top of the front windshield). They don't need to measure your front door windows since it's illegal to tint them anyways so you can't go to court and say the cop gave you a tint ticket without measuring the front windows since the front windows shouldn't be tinted anyways...

I'm guessing they can ticket you since:
09-76-220(b)* Vehicle equipped with Non-reflective, Smoked, or Tinted Glass or Film on windshield, sidewings, or side windows while parked or standing $25.00
*Compliance violations that may be issued to parked vehicles.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/Revenue...iolations.html at the very end

Since we're on the ticket subject, I got a $50 "No Parking at Anytime" ticket like 2 weeks ago when I should've gotten a $25 "Parking within 30' of a stop sign" ticket so I contested the ticket and I'll see what they say (I just told them that there were no signs there, but I didn't mention the parking near a stop sign thing )

It's still funny that everyone else who parks by the stop sign NEVER get a ticket... When I got my ticket, the guy who was actually parked in a no parking zone didn't get a ticket...
Old 06-18-2004, 10:08 AM

You can't be ticketed for tints if the car is not being driven. There's no law against a parked car having illegal tints.
Even if the car is being driven, you have to commit a moving violation before they can even comment about your tints. Kind of like what the seatbelt law used to be.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by C MAX
your part right big d you can get a permit for tint, but if you dont display it or actually be there when your getting the ticket they can still write it but if you send proof in the mail they will throw it out. one day i was in manhattan and i parked at a meter that was not working. i happened to come back just as a cop pulled up and motioned that i was leaving. they still was gonna give me a parking ticket and we started to argue. well after that he decides to measure my tint and gives me a ticket for that too. i said im not driving the car and he said so what and put the tickets on the car. so the moral of this story is you can get a ticket and dont argue with cops cause you cant win.
holy smokes. thats a horror story if i ever heard one. those cops must have had a horrible day.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:43 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by BluFlame
they can not ticket your car for tint when parked. they would not have the driver license info to write on the ticket, that means owner would be responsible for the ticket and you can always say you werent the driver and the driver tinted.
Only parking violation can be given when car is parked.

Ahhh, but you are responsible legally for your vehicle unless it's reported stolen...so there's this nice grey area where the police can do all kinds of things and get away with it (regarding tint laws)...

And in Georgia, the tag, licsence, and VIN are all intertwined (look up one and everything shows up), so yes, in theory they could write you a ticket on the vehicle and not give the person a ticket personally. Only now in GA the courts overturned the tint laws b/c they were "unconstitutional"
Old 06-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Magellan
Why? When you look at the tint from the inside of the car it's just barely darker than looking out a stock window. Also I gues you can get a ticket for tint all around AND then go to court and prove it's legal to waive the ticket.

Quick Reply: Can you get a ticket for tint when the car is parked?