General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can you get a ticket for tint when the car is parked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:12 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by deezo
You can't be ticketed for tints if the car is not being driven. There's no law against a parked car having illegal tints.
Even if the car is being driven, you have to commit a moving violation before they can even comment about your tints. Kind of like what the seatbelt law used to be.
I was at a red light. Light turned green and I started to move forward. Cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for my tint. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PM PhxBlue. He can answer it.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:04 AM

OK, a lot of you have been giving your opinion on this one. Unfortunately, the use of logic that everyone has employed, while fun and interesting as a brain exercise, is not a prerequisite for law, as many others have unfortunately found out!

So, the correct short answer to the original question of whether you can get a ticket when the car is parked is "It depends". By that, I mean it depends on the state or perhaps local laws governing tinting. To find out the real answer for my state, I went online and searched the state statutes. What I found is that, in Florida, it is considered a non-moving violation, and thus, those of you that tried using the 'as long as the car's not moving, it's not a moving violation' wouldn't work here.

Now, my next question is, what percentage is being discussed when we numbers like 20% and 30%? Is that the percentage of light transmitted or is that the percentage of solar reflectance from the inside of the window? As you can see below, we can have no more than 25% reflectance and no less than 28% transmittance here in Florida. I'm assuming that the standard percentage used by installers is the light transmittance, but just curious.

Florida state statute 316.2953
"A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318."
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
You can't be ticketed for tints if the car is not being driven. There's no law against a parked car having illegal tints.
Even if the car is being driven, you have to commit a moving violation before they can even comment about your tints. Kind of like what the seatbelt law used to be.
At least here in florida, illegal tint is a secondary violation. Technically you have to be pulled over for something else and they'll just tack on the ticket for the tints. Of course, if the cop REALLY wants to get you for tints he can.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big D
Why? When you look at the tint from the inside of the car it's just barely darker than looking out a stock window. Also I gues you can get a ticket for tint all around AND then go to court and prove it's legal to waive the ticket.
If you truly believe that 20% tint on a front windshield does not cut down enough vision to cause a serious safety problem, especially at night, then there’s nothing I can say to change your mind. But IMHO you’re wrong, and are “blindly” rationalizing support of a mod you personally like.

My fear is someone will end up in the morgue before they get to court.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:00 PM

My friend had a small American flag hanging off of his rearview mirror and we went into Dunkin Donuts to get some drinks... well when we get out my friend starts his car and proceeds to back up. It is at this moment that a cop stops him and gives him a ticket for obstruction of view. The cop was a real d*ck about it to, he actually said "I'll throw your asses in jail" because my friend kept trying to ask him what this was all about... the cop took my friends license for a good 15 minutes while he sat in his car and wouldn't tell us anything as to what it was about.

I have nothing against cops, but some of them truely do abuse their power.

My whole point is that the cop waited for my friend to move the car before stopping him. Because he couldn't do anything as long as we didn't move.

So I'm thinking that you can have dark tints while parked, like suppose you just temporarily tinted it for the purpose of photography? Why shouldn't you be able to do that?

But the law is screwed up so I'm probably wrong.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No law private lane. Only on public lane

No can’t as long car not public. Lane. And not being driven you can have front window as you like
Old 02-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Adam19777
No can’t as long car not public. Lane. And not being driven you can have front window as you like
Awesome job at bumping an almost 19 year old thread. I'm sure the OP was still looking for a response and thankful that you came along to provide your invaluable input.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:53 AM

I'm also impressed at the easy to understand sentax used here.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RickSmith
I'm also impressed at the easy to understand sentax used here.
Related to Yoda, he must be.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:23 PM

I’ll bite …

Maybe you might have gotten a ticket for tint back in’04 but not anymore on account there aren’t any cops left.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:48 PM

Good lord what a bump lol. But yes tint depends on the area, here you can have rear window tint as dark as you want but you can't have any front window tint at all. I have 5 window 2.5% limo tint on one of my summer cars because idgaf and I just want to keep the old interior from sun damage and not have sun in my face on the highway, ive gotten pulled over for tint 4 times on public roadways and the last time I got pulled by RCMP they said next time they'll impound my car lol. Private property they can't do anything as said but once you're on public roadways you'll get nailed, i've parked my car at work and had cops park beside it for 2-3 hours hoping to see me leave and nail for tint
Old 03-01-2023, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by fc95se
Can you get a ticket for illegal window tint when your car is parked? I am in Illinois now, and it has never happened to me.
depends on the state law in your state, every state has a tint limit, California you can't tint your window at all. So each state varies. you have look it up online what the legal limit
Old 08-21-2023, 11:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Awesome job at bumping an almost 19 year old thread. I'm sure the OP was still looking for a response and thankful that you came along to provide your invaluable input.
Just registered an account to the forum just to say thanks for bumping a 19 year old thread lol, I was searching online for ops question, and this thread was one of the first google results. Hilarious Don't even know what Maxima.org is, guess I'll take a gander and look around.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by paulcarter15
Just registered an account to the forum just to say thanks for bumping a 19 year old thread lol, I was searching online for ops question, and this thread was one of the first google results. Hilarious Don't even know what Maxima.org is, guess I'll take a gander and look around.
to the Org, Paul. Buy a Maxima, join the conversation.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Related to Yoda, he must be.
very possible, or he's gone to the dark side......
Old 05-20-2024, 12:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by fc95se
Can you get a ticket for illegal window tint when your car is parked? I am in Illinois now, and it has never happened to me.
Its have to be a real pizzed off cop

Last edited by ChristineDaniel; 05-20-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It did not happen to me, but I heard some news reporting this.