General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

my tranny died wtf!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 04:49 PM

ok my car is 4 years old i had it for 1 year and 4 months the other owner was a old guy. i have no 4th gear at all 80mph is the fastest my car can go. yes i abuse my car race all the time, hard driver but wtf 1 year and it goes what kind of **** is this. my car takes forever like over 5 sec to find 2nd and 3rd gear. i cant even drive my car it so miserable. this happens today im like wtf ? my tranny been acting up all week but now its dead. so what do i do? get it rebuild or goto a junk yard.? im 17 years old with no income and dead broke. on brighter news i went to court for my ticket "speed contest" the judge was so cool only paid 145 bux hahahah hella happy about that. any news or how much my damn tranny would be pleeease gimmie info
Old 04-02-2001, 05:55 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

The tranny on my 3rd gen cost.....

$1500+install..proabably a genral price for most FWD import automatics. Try going to Aamco, they offer financing plans on their transmissions I think, looks like its time to get yourself a job.....

Originally posted by max1ma97se
ok my car is 4 years old i had it for 1 year and 4 months the other owner was a old guy. i have no 4th gear at all 80mph is the fastest my car can go. yes i abuse my car race all the time, hard driver but wtf 1 year and it goes what kind of **** is this. my car takes forever like over 5 sec to find 2nd and 3rd gear. i cant even drive my car it so miserable. this happens today im like wtf ? my tranny been acting up all week but now its dead. so what do i do? get it rebuild or goto a junk yard.? im 17 years old with no income and dead broke. on brighter news i went to court for my ticket "speed contest" the judge was so cool only paid 145 bux hahahah hella happy about that. any news or how much my damn tranny would be pleeease gimmie info
Old 04-02-2001, 05:55 PM

Well.....I'm pretty sure YOU killed your auto. How do you "abuse" it? Hey...I'm only 21...but your 17 and probably pretty foolish. Your lucky enough to have a NICE car....did you do burn outs? Neutral drops? Are you racing all the time and downshifting the car? If you answer yes to anyone of those its YOUR fault. I don't care what kind of car you have....BMW included....autos are NOT meant to be driven that way and will die.

BTW: The 4th gen autos seem pretty strong. The 5th are too but kill themselves(bad TCM and Solienoids kill it). I've only seen a handful(if that) of auto repairs on the 4th gen guys here and those include some hard drivers/racers. Jim W killed his after 75k ish....but he was at the track when it happened....doing burnouts
Old 04-02-2001, 05:56 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Stop speeding and spend that saved money towards a new tranny. If you beat the crap outta the car, what do you expect.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry to hear of your dilemna; shouldagotta5speed
Old 04-02-2001, 07:11 PM

help!! I did this like 5 times this year I kept doing 1100 or so netural drop. When back my car out I switch to D then I wait like .5 sec adn lightly touch the gas and sometimes rpm will go up to 1100 then the tanny slaps into D. all the other 1-2 3-4 shift is fine except the D delay
Old 04-02-2001, 07:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hmmmmm.....you admit that you abuse your car and you expect it to hold up? Too funny. I consider a tranny lasting a year behind your lead foot did pretty good. Don't think that since you've only had the car 1 year and 4 months that it should hold up to abuse. NO CAR CAN HANDLE CONSTANT ABUSE. You give me 4 minutes and I can destroy any make of car automatic tranny. All you've got to do is do a few neutral drops, stall the hell out of the torque converter, bang it into 1st a few times from a 40mph roll. I can also burn up a new clutch in a matter of minutes. Have I done this? Know, but I understand the internals of a tranny and what they can take and cannot take.

I hate to be so blunt, but it sounds like you don't know anything about cars and you've got little respect for them. If you're broke, you shouldn't be racing and beating on your car. If you're broke, you shouldn't own a car you can't afford. Maybe you should be without a car for a while and save up some money, fix it, then respect it.

I doubt you'll find any simpathy from anyone in this forum when you post stupidity.

Dave
Old 04-02-2001, 07:37 PM

i never did a neutral drop in my life. i power brake on occassion when i race and i did 2 burnouts but overall i just asking for advice what to do rebuild or go to a junk yard ? can i take it to aamco or something and get a estimate? i dont appreciate being called stupid when i know quite a bit about cars but i just didnt know tranny died so easily. i live and learn, i come here looking for advice on a problem not to be called a idoit just because im young.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:11 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I don't mean to insult you or anything, but...

it was your attitude about the situation that caused the whole "insult" thing....when you said "WTF?" it kinda made it look like you didn't expect this to happen...if you knew you were doing things like this to the car, its kinda hard to believe you wouldn't expect something like this to happen.
99.9% of the guys/gals here work hard as hell to get stuff done on their cars and make repairs just to keep it running and when you take that type of attitude it kinda gets to 'em and thats what sets things off.
You really don't have any options other than get a used or rebuilt tranny, simple as that you're looking at over $1k in spednings so like I said before, its time to get yourself a job! search the internet for used trannys and talk to the guys at your local repair shops and Aamco, if you don't want these guys on here to see you as "young and stupid" show 'em different and go out on your own and get this thing fixed! .....whew, I'm done! oh great I'm starting to sound like my freaking dad

i never did a neutral drop in my life. i power brake on occassion when i race and i did 2 burnouts but overall i just asking for advice what to do rebuild or go to a junk yard ? can i take it to aamco or something and get a estimate? i dont appreciate being called stupid when i know quite a bit about cars but i just didnt know tranny died so easily. i live and learn, i come here looking for advice on a problem not to be called a idoit just because im young.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:40 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so sad...

Your poor car Anyway, you should have got a tranny cooler. Now I'm wondering if a rebuild is the better bang for the buck or a used tranny is better? What costs more? If you decided on a Level 10 tranny, how much would that cost and will it stand abuse better. If anyone has the replies to these questions, an answer is welcome. Thanks.

EZ
Old 04-02-2001, 08:54 PM

Re: I don't mean to insult you or anything, but...

the reason i said wtf is just today BAM no 4th gear im crusin along at 40mph at 4k in 3rd not going ne where that was unexpected. i knew i was hurtin my tranny by my driving ways cuase when i first got my car it was soooo fast now it slow for the mods i have. yea well im gonnna call places like level 10 ill go to aamco too, i have spring break so i guess me and my friends gonna rip the tranny out put in a new one did it on a honda time to do it on a nissan. thx for help. o yea i WAS stupid when i first got my car but now after ripping suspension exhast, parts of engine i have much more respect for cars hell im ready to put in the tranny and a supercharger(need money 4 this) in my own garage
Old 04-02-2001, 09:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Just a suggetion.....

before you go all talking about Level 10 and this and that, you might wanna get the original tranny working first unless you just magically got $3k sitting around you didn't tell us about!? I think the $1500 thing Level 10 does is an install of "high impact" clutches and bands.(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that doesn't include $700 for the TC and another $700 for the VB....if you don't have ANY loot to begin with save Level 10 for a MUCH, MUCH later date! Supercharger..hmmm....slow down there bud, might wanna get some money to get the car running first!

the reason i said wtf is just today BAM no 4th gear im crusin along at 40mph at 4k in 3rd not going ne where that was unexpected. i knew i was hurtin my tranny by my driving ways cuase when i first got my car it was soooo fast now it slow for the mods i have. yea well im gonnna call places like level 10 ill go to aamco too, i have spring break so i guess me and my friends gonna rip the tranny out put in a new one did it on a honda time to do it on a nissan. thx for help. o yea i WAS stupid when i first got my car but now after ripping suspension exhast, parts of engine i have much more respect for cars hell im ready to put in the tranny and a supercharger(need money 4 this) in my own garage
Old 04-02-2001, 11:46 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

so sad...heeh, maybe juss go with a rebuild at a reputable shop....up to you man, When you buy a used tranny you dunno if its been abused by someone like you already! hehe..juss kiddin. Anyways, if you still have 3rd gear it shouldnt be a prob. 3rd gear redline is at 120mph. basically gear ratio 1:1 and its very very streetable, even on the freeways, I been driving on 2 gears for about 4 months now!
Old 04-03-2001, 08:36 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sorry I was so blunt, but you sounded like you were surprised it happened. My car has 65000 miles and I know that my clutch has to go out soon due to all the drag racing I do and hard shifts. My syncros will probably be on their way out too (even though the clutch and syncros still feel perfect). I won;t be susrprised when they die and it's just a way of life when you race.

Now let me offer you some help. The "gears" should be fine in your car. The clutch bands and sprangs are mostly likely burnt and broken. What you need is a rebuild by a reputable shop. Get a upgraded rebuild kit for the tranny ($150). While you're at it, have a shift kit put in ($50). Get the Pro-torque torque converter ($400). Add a trany cooler. I know it sounds like a lot, and it will be, but since your tranny is gonna be out of the car, you might as well build it up because it will be much cheaper. Figure $800 for labor (shift kit, torque converter, removal/install). Overall, you should be at $1400-1500 out the door. With this setup, you'll have nearly bullet roof tranny that can take you're kind of driving style. You might as well throw down $1400 and get it done right instead of spending $900 and getting it put back to stock.

Dave
Old 04-03-2001, 10:51 AM

you must really abused the crap out of that 4th gen. you say you never neutral dropped it? thats good but you did say you brake torque it? how many rpms did you rev it up to before you released the gas? anything above 2 k you are asking for trouble. burn outs don't hurt your car much unless you do neutral drop burn out. i street race almost every weekend with my 140 k auto 3rd gen and my tranny is still strong. i don't neutral drop it but i do brake torque it, nothing above 2 k rpms. well, i also do have a tranny cooler, redline tranny fluid, and frequently get a tranny flush with my tune ups. but i can never really predict the futrure, my tranny can go out at any time now. if it does, hello manuel 4th or 5th gen...hehehe
Old 04-03-2001, 12:31 PM

Did you ever change yer atf? do you have any left in there?
Old 04-03-2001, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by OgreDave
Did you ever change yer atf? do you have any left in there?
yea i just change it like 2 months ago when i did a tune up, redline d4 atf and i put in a new filter and had the pan cleaned new gasket and all. and to top it off i havent raced maximus for 2 months having withdrawl syndromes. i power brake at 1.5k that all this sux cant drive my baby to school ne more. gonna go to aamco and some other places and get a estimate those fools want to much im going to junk yard rip out my tranny and put a new one in my self i hate paying people to have the privledge of workin on my car.