General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Vent + help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 07:44 AM

I got a f'in ticket for blue sidemarker lights (aftermarket in the fender). They're not even that blue, just have a slight tint (pic below). I even have amber turn signals. I've already replaced the lights back to legal(er) and it looks like sh*t. My question is where can I get superwhite lights for everything in the front? I've seen em on some cars and they're a really, really bright white. Do you know where I can get em? I'm already tired of the off-white (yellowish) bulbs in there now. Thanks
Old 04-03-2001, 11:27 AM

Anyone?

I know someone knows the lights I'm talking about.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:17 PM

i think u can get superwhite lights from places like hi/lo auto parts or autozone. im not sure where u live, but my brother got some superwhites for his max and they weren't expensive at all from one of these stores....i believe his headlights weren't more than $15....as for quality and all i don't have a clue. i've had hyperwhites (with that slight blue tint) and have hyperwhites all over the front (headlights, bumper lights, sidemarkers just like yours etc.) and haven't had a problem in dallas, tx area with them. with so many other problems this country has u'd think cops wouldn't care about **** like this. hope this helps.

sachin
Old 04-03-2001, 12:21 PM

Man, those look sweet. I don't think that they are that blue at all. Cops just look for things to bust us on. I mean...are slightly blue tinted bulbs going to really cause an accident? I wouldn't think so.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:35 PM

Sachin

I live in Dallas!! I got the ticket in Allen! If you noticed the date on the pic, it's almost 1 1/2 years ago. I never had a problem either until the other day. Now my car's all goofy lookin'. Well, it used to look nice
Old 04-03-2001, 12:47 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Sachin

Polarg's are 'super white'. But is it legal in Texas to have white bulbs?
Old 04-03-2001, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

White is legal but blue is not? In NJ, those fender lights have to be amber, like a turn signal (which is essentially what it is). I think they look great but I hesitate to cut my perfectly good fender plus I'd have to instal amber bulbs to cover my ***.

Jim
Old 04-03-2001, 01:13 PM

Texas law

SUBCHAPTER D. GENERAL PROVISIONS REGARDING LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS

§ 547.305. Restrictions on Use of Lights
(a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

§ 547.324. Turn Signal Lamps Required
(c) Turn signal lamps:
(1) shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle; and
(2) may be included as a part of another lamp on the vehicle.
(d) A turn signal lamp shall emit:
(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or
(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

§ 547.332. Other Lamps Permitted
A motor vehicle may be equipped with:
(1) not more than two side cowl or fender lamps that emit an amber or white light without glare;

I've done a litte research. I believe that this will cover my ***.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just to wonder....... I live in Dallas as well, but I thought all light tickets were just repair tickets. Meaning that all you have to do is fix what's wrong. Almost everyone I see with sidemarkers has white bulbs, but I always run amber in any blinking turn signals. Best of luck, and let us know what happens.
-hype