General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Accident tonight :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Accident tonight :(

I was proceeding to make a left turn when a bunch of girls in an old Plymouth decided to turn a bit to sharp denting my Z3 Fender, and scraping my bumper, and breaking and scraping both my corner light, and sidemarker. I called the cops, and he filled out a minor incident report and I was given her information. No one was cited, althought they were a bit of tiremarks from where she had hit me, the damage to me looks atleast $1000-$1200 I don't think the girl will pay so I might have to go thru her insurance, but I don't want her to contact my insurance. What should I do . My poor Max, why do I have such bad luck ?
Old 08-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Always sunny in philly

well, either way the best thing to do is go through insurance. That will ensure a claim in your favor (if they conclude it was her fault and not yours) and get your max back to tip top shape. Just remember to get your own estimates and never go by what their adjuster believes is a fair amount.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nismotic
well, either way the best thing to do is go through insurance. That will ensure a claim in your favor (if they conclude it was her fault and not yours) and get your max back to tip top shape. Just remember to get your own estimates and never go by what their adjuster believes is a fair amount.

Well tomorrow I will get estimates see if they are willing to pay wihtout getting insurance involved if they fail to do so then yes I will contact her insurance company, and yes it was her fault she admitted to the police officer "I guess I turned to sharp".
Old 08-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I keep reading about everyone saying to get estimates by yourself. When I had an accident I tried that and as soon as the shops found out I had all state they said NO. No one wanted to give me an estimate cause I have all state, same with state farm.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Always sunny in philly

not sure whats up w/that dave, but i was scheduled to get an estimate by the other guy's insurance (allstate) and they gave me a crappy estimate. I said screw that, and took it to a couple different places that suited me. When you get estimates from other places, you submit them to the adjuster...

but then again, it all depends on which carrier you have. i have progressive.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:10 AM

Harris,

First of all, very sorry to hear about the accident. At least everybody's OK and it was relatively minor. I just wanted to share my experience to make sure you knew how things can work. I had an accident many years ago inside my apartment complex. The guy cut the turn too sharply and hit my front and side. The cops wouldn't come because it was on private property and there were no injuries, but I took pics to show that the other guy clearly was in my "lane". The other guy even admitted that he hydroplaned a little (it was raining pretty good), which in FL is an automatic ticket and blame if the cops come, and admitted fault. However, when I called the person's insurance, his story changed. And then, just by luck, I decided to call my insurance, and sure enough, he had put a claim in on mine. My insurance guy didn't even care to hear my side of the story. I told my insurance person that I had pics and a witness (my brother was driving the car behind me) and that I would be happy to give them whatever they needed to prove that it was the other guy's fault. Instead, the insurance guys decided to settle it without telling me and they each paid a percentage, so neither of them would have to battle it out. I didn't find out until a year and a half later, when I went to switch insurance carriers, and I got a huge quote because technically my insurance paid out some money.

Sorry this was so long, but just wanted to warn you to keep on top of insurance people, because they definitely are not required to keep your interests in mind. Hopefully, the girl will come through and pay you directly and you can avoid the hassle of the insurance people.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:32 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

With State Farm they don't mind you getting your own quotes, we always take our cars to the same place for body fixins
Old 08-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Come see me Harris