General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

anyone familiar with SQUARE TRADE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:39 PM

anyone familiar with SQUARE TRADE?

I am narrowing down my question from a previous post to target this
SQUARE TRADE thing.
for some reason I am not hearing a lot about it, and am not finding anyone that knows about it. I am trying to see how they help with transaction process, not just dispute resolution. They seem to be a big ebay seller credibility thing too but I cant find much more on it.

THanks
Old 08-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think what you need is an escrow service, not dispute resolution. I would not engage in a major $ purchase thinking Squaretrade is somehow going to make things right if things go awry. As I see it, they are more of a way for negative feedbacks to be withdrawn mutually and of course for a fee.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:15 PM

thats exactly what I make of it. the latest I hear from the seller is that he will make the first move- moving the vehicle to the shipping company location.
then SquareTrade (or somebody) will contact me to verify things up to this point and request my payment which will be held, then the car is OK'ed to ship out and when I receive it, I inspect 3 days and then he gets his money if I am satisfied. he says he has used squaretrade for this kind of transaction twice already.

are you familiar with squaretrade mishmosh? is this one of their services?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:34 PM

I have used Square Trade for two ebay transactions that I had problems with. Not impressed with their "dispute resolution" services at all. Also, for your purposes, I do NOT believe they are an escrow service which holds the payment until the buyer has had his inspection and is happy with the item. I would definite deem Squaretrade of NO value if the seller wasn't a "Seal" member and if this transaction is outside ebay. If the deal turns sour, the seller can ignore SquareTrade's mediation and then what? You are screwed!

Personally, I would get a bonafide escrow service and it is reasonable for both sides to split the escrow fees. EBAY even recommends an escrow service for all purchases above $500 (they recommend escrow.com). If your seller is trying to sell you Squaretrade as a security blanket, I would seriously consider them to be naive or just plain SHADY.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/escrow.html

Sil SE, I know you think you may have found a good deal but I would seriously urge caution here.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

they use a mediator to try to resolve the problem. you have to pay for the mediator though and sometimes problem still arent solved.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:12 PM

thanks guys, after this evening and looking up more info (and thanks to your comment) I find squaretrade isnt what he thinks it is. I also did stumble upon escrow.com too. Ill suggest it to him and if he doesnt want to do it i wont pursue the car. actually im thinking about coming back to maxima land.

another thing is- i got the carfax report today and he says he bought the car last year but nothing shows since 1997 new registration/title ...seem weird?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:31 AM

Yeah. carfax should report a change of hands. Is the title in his name? If it isn't, he may not have the right to sell it. If he doesn't even have title papers, that's even worse...