General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I think I've been shifting wrong all this time

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 11:07 AM

since last June when I first started driving a stick. I dont mean during every day driving, but during racing. What I did, was I would slam the clutch pedal all the way down, let up on the gas, shift the gear, pull the clutch out and step on the gas again. After reading Dave B's thread about "almost powershifting" I think I've been doing it wrong all along. The method I used took entirely too much time and I wound up missing alot of gears at the track as well. Now, I have changed my method, this time I press the clutch down only as far as it needs to go to shift the gears without grinding (which is NOT all the way down). I keep my foot on the gas but I let up a little bit. Seems that this method of performance shifting is MUCH faster then my old method as the car doesnt jerk all over the place anymore.

I've been practicing the downshift as well. Now, to downshift, I floor the gas, and while keeping my foot on the gas i then push in the clutch so the engine will rev up, and when its about where I think the RPMs will be, I dump the clutch and the car takes off. This also seems like it works much better then before.
Old 04-06-2001, 11:33 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Doesn't this also put extra wear and tear on the clutch? I'm sure you don't care, but doesn't it do that.
Old 04-06-2001, 11:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Nick-
My clutch is still in great shape (65000 miles) and has never slipped on me. I think much of the reason it's held up so well is because I don't "slip" it any longer than 1 second when I'm at the track. As for the syncros, they're still perfectly fine, but we all know hard shifting will eventually kill them.

Eric-
Missing gears is almost entirely related to the way you hold the shifter. Try this if you haven't already. The 1-2 shift is the normal pistol grip. On the 2-3, put your open palm behind the shift **** and push up. You will never miss another 2-3 shift because it pops right in. On the 3-4, point your thumd down and wrap your hand around the shifter. Yes, the position is weird, but this will force you to pull the shifter sraight down instead of pulling it towards you and getting hung up between 2 and 4 gears. I haven't missed a shift ever since adopting this style. Shifting this way will also help your syncros because it doesn't feel like your forcing the shift.

Dave
Old 04-06-2001, 12:58 PM

Just the reverse I would think

Originally posted by NickStam
Doesn't this also put extra wear and tear on the clutch? I'm sure you don't care, but doesn't it do that.
First, as a side note, you don't even need your clutch to shift into any gear other than to first from a start. At the right RPM, the gears "align". You can easily slide the shifter out of one gear and into another without doing any damage to your car, and never touching the clutch.

The method describe, I would believe, puts less friction on the clutch, thus allowing the clutch to last longer. It's just the manual version of Don's MobileTek VB upgrade.
Old 04-06-2001, 02:14 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Just the reverse I would think

I heard that before, do you know at rpm you can shift without the clutch. I doubt I will try it, but it's good to know anyway.
Old 04-06-2001, 03:43 PM

Re: Just the reverse I would think

Originally posted by Frezny

First, as a side note, you don't even need your clutch to shift into any gear other than to first from a start.
Of course, Nissan has a bad habit of installing extraneous things like a clutch and a starter motor. You can also start your car by putting it in 1st without using the clutch and then having a buddy push your car from behind. Taking these unnecessary components out will lessen the weight of the vehicle and you'll accelerate faster, without the clutch of course.

The Maxima is no BMW but sometimes I question why so many people don't seem to treat it like a fine machine nonetheless. Instead they take a 20K car and abuse the **** out of it. I kinda doubt you'd do so if you had to go out and earn the money to pay for the vehicle.

Riding the clutch and shifting into 3rd with the foot to the floor at 100 are nasty habits IMHO.
Old 04-06-2001, 10:23 PM

Re: Re: Just the reverse I would think

Dave you are the man. I just tried that shifting technique you said, and hell if you do it, it must be a good technique (you are the fastest 4th gen right?) You should have posted that in the celica forum when those guys were complaining about tight 6spd gate misshifts.

I am wondering if it is easier to drive a Maxima than a rev happy 4 banger since if I want to keep my car moving fast I gotta keep it between 6K to 8.4K rpm. mmmmmm I gotta test drive my friend's new AE 5 spd soon! torque is good!
Old 04-07-2001, 11:16 AM
marc sanford

Regards to (speed shifting)

Yes it's correct,you don't have to use the clutch
other than rev. and first gear.Keep a eye on the rpm
and shift accordingly rpm peek,don't hold the shifter too tight and presto,wow shifts on accel and can also be down
shift with out the cluch with pratice and the correct rpm.
Try hard not to grind the gears,you can with light pressure on the shifter feel the waste gate matching allowing you to shift.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 04-07-2001, 05:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Just the reverse I would think

Originally posted by kit99bar
Dave you are the man. I just tried that shifting technique you said, and hell if you do it, it must be a good technique (you are the fastest 4th gen right?) You should have posted that in the celica forum when those guys were complaining about tight 6spd gate misshifts.

I am wondering if it is easier to drive a Maxima than a rev happy 4 banger since if I want to keep my car moving fast I gotta keep it between 6K to 8.4K rpm. mmmmmm I gotta test drive my friend's new AE 5 spd soon! torque is good!
Kit99Bar:
I wish I was the fastest 4th gen There was one NA 4th gen Max that ran a 14.3 on drag radials, but the car was sold. Currently, I don't know who's 4th gen 5 speed is the qucikest. I'm pretty sure my 14.73 is one of the quicker one's, but not the quickest. I'm probably the quickest with the fewest mods, though.

I think there is a problem with the GT-S shiftgate. It is driver error, BUT there are WAY too many guys misshifting the GT-Ss. I think the technique I described would easily work for the GT-S, but I'd bet they still get hung up between 4 and 6 instead of the dreaded 4-2 misshift.

Everyone else-
Shift with the clutch. Let's not be stupid. We're not driving cars with built racecar unsycronized trannies.

Dave
Old 04-07-2001, 08:15 PM

Yeah, get those shifts under a second. I hate when the fricken car jerks. But I dont have a 5 spd.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:12 PM

Re: Re: Just the reverse I would think

Originally posted by NickStam
I heard that before, do you know at rpm you can shift without the clutch. I doubt I will try it, but it's good to know anyway.

I don't know the exact RPMs for this, but the science behind it makes sense.

the point where you can shift without the clutch is the exact point where the the engine is pulling the car less than the actual car is. I don't know if that makes sense, but at a certain RPM, you will feel the shift in momentum away from the engine and towards the car, this is where you can shift without disengaging the clutch.

needless to say, I'm not good enough to do this myself, cuz i hate that awful "grinding" sound
Old 04-09-2001, 06:46 AM

clutchless shifting

I used to do it all the time in my old hondas 10025 K plus miles and they worked perfectly. I would try pulling it out of each gear at around 3500. Now dont' try this WOT, but through normal acceleration. You don't have to pull hard either, just gentley pull out of gear and try to slid into the next gear. If your RPM's drop off too fast, just tap the accelerator to get the RPM's back up and put a little pressure on the stick, it will just pop right into gear with the slightest of ease. It's fun when you're not looking to drive fast, like on a lazy summer day.

Riding the clutch and shifting into 3rd with the foot to the floor at 100 are nasty habits IMHO.
What do you think you do when you press the clutch all the way to the floor? You engage the clutch for a longer period of time. Using Dave B's method, you minimize clutch engagement and utilized the "natural" gearing shift points. If you miss shift, howerver, you will damage your gears and ride the clutch longer than intended.