General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP PLEASE ! brake noise: roaring/grinding

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:30 AM
VIP Maxima

HELP PLEASE ! brake noise: roaring/grinding

Installed 200 miles ago:

BRAND NEW Raybestos Quitestop brake pads (all around)
BRAND NEW Brembo Slotted& Cross Drilled rotors. (all around)
Balanced All 4 tires
back tires moved to front, front tires moved to back

Problem:
Its been 200 miles since i did all these and lately I am HEARING and FEELING(in brake pedal) this grinding/roaring noise. it happens the most when i slightly press on the brakes at slow speeds around 25 mph. i can feel the vibration and hear the grinding noise very well. at around 5-10 mph, in quite streets, when i brake, i also hear this noise that sounds very similar to the noise u would hear if u layed a piece of paper on a rotating brake rotor. kinda like hssssssssssss.

Today i took the car to the mechanic expecting to hear some bs. they took the driver side front and back wheels off and inspected the setup. the mechanic told me that my pads OR rotors are "defective" (both are brand new). i asked him how rotors could be defective and he said "the CUTS are not good". he also pointed out this little fingerpring size spot on the rotor and said "this is a burnt spot, the rotor is burnt here". he told me to go back to the place that i got rotors and pads from and tell them about these problems because they did the installation perfectly fine. now this mechanic is type of guy that loves to send u out with a buncha bs if he wants to (i know this for a fact).

so what do u guys think is happening here and what should i do? obviously pads and rotors are brand new and i have gotten both from .org members here. and obviously i dont think they are defective. what do u guys think???

thanks in advance...

EDIT: i also hear more road noise caused by tires but i think thats because i rotated tires and the back tires are now up front and they have more tread. i bought them new about 20k miles ago and they had been rolling on the back since the day i bought them.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Administrator

sounds like your rear calipers maybe siezed up.. get the calipers checked
Old 09-02-2004, 10:41 AM
VIP Maxima

bump back to the top

Old 09-03-2004, 08:17 PM
VIP Maxima

whatever happend to helping out a brotha

Old 09-03-2004, 08:55 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

sprint gave you good info. I'd check that out first.

If it's grinding sounds, and you do'nt see any scarring or scraping on the rotors, then it is most likely the calipers seized up.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:24 PM
STFU n00b!

pics. send us pics of the rotors. we can't tell you crap if we can't see the problem.

sounds to me like it may just be one of the many noises that slotted or drilled rotors make.

also sounds like they may have bent the dust shield behind the rotor into it, so it's rubbing on the rotor. you'll hear it only at low speeds, as the road noise and other stuff make it fade out at higher speeds.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:57 AM
VIP Maxima

matt, i think u are right. i am hearing more road noise and i do hear/feel the grinding noise in the pedal, specially when i am coming to a stop. this problem started happening ever since i got my new set up. i think the dust shield has been bend and now is touchin the rotor. sorry no digi cams

btw, what do u guys mean by seized up calipers?

Old 09-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bleed the brakes. As mentioned, one of your calipers may be sticking/seized. If that's the case, you can replace caliper seals yourself with a Nissan kit or just go to autozone and get reman for something like $45 each. Check it before a bad caliper destoys the rotor/pad. It may be hard to tell at this point, but a wheel with excessive brake dust compared to the others is a tell-tale sign.

If it's the dust shield, just bend them back off the rotor (usually a metallic scraping noise).
Old 09-04-2004, 06:56 AM
STFU n00b!

the other place they sieze is the slider pins on the calipers.. they can get a bit of moisture in them and will rust together and stop. I found one of those yesterday on my rear caliper.. what a PITA. weird thing is I wasn't getting any uneven pad wear or excess dust... I just happened to decide to paint the calipers and noticed it while I was painting.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:50 PM
VIP Maxima

UPDATE
guys i am experiencing new problems.

during hard acceleration, this wierd smell comes off of the pads and when i try to brake hard from a fast speed (such as 60 or so), the brakes grip just fine but when they get really hot, they have absolutly no gripping power. I know that when brakes are hot, they wont grip as good but today I did one 60-0 hard braking and then i let go of the brake while the car was in D, then i tried to brake again and NOPE ! the grip was 20x worse, the car was barely losing speed.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry I was too lazy to look back at your brake set up, but you should not be experienceing fade that much! Take it to a professional ASAP.