General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installed the new Hayden tranny cooler #404

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed it today with the help of Wayne aka SMX. Thanks man. Its great! Transmission feels different in a good way. Also on the highway my excelleration feels different I cant explain it, now it actually feels like I am getting better grip with the transmission or something. I also put some new transmission fluid in to add, but I am going to get it fully flushed pretty soon. But its great no leaks and everything is fine. Thanks again Wayne it was a tight fit but worked out well. For all the 4th gen. owners itd be way easier for you to do it so Id say go at it. I had to modify some stuff to compensate for the hoses and the tight fit of the Tranny cooler. But for you all I think it would be a very clean and very easy fit. It originally says it takes 30 minutes to install, mine had to be modified so it took longer. But Id say its a great investment for alittle money thatll save you lots in the end.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:13 PM

What's "excelleration"?
Old 04-07-2001, 05:30 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I think he meant...

acceleration.....

Originally posted by LoveSick
What's "excelleration"?
Old 04-07-2001, 06:54 PM

my bad

I was caught up in the moment that I forgot that word. I even looked at it after I was done typing, it looked funny to me. But I was like welli guess thats it and didnt think twice about it.
Old 04-07-2001, 07:30 PM

How much

Hey-
I want to do this to mine too. How much does it cost, including all the extra lines, the fluid...etc. What kind of fluid would everyone reccomend? Mine is shifting OK. But the 2-3 at full throttle kind of slips a bit and then snaps into gear. I am concerned about that, but I don't run it that high full throttle to see the 2-3 shift much.

I guess I am looking for a total price.

SHUMAX
Old 04-07-2001, 09:36 PM

Re: How much

Originally posted by shumax
Hey-
I want to do this to mine too. How much does it cost, including all the extra lines, the fluid...etc. What kind of fluid would everyone reccomend? Mine is shifting OK. But the 2-3 at full throttle kind of slips a bit and then snaps into gear. I am concerned about that, but I don't run it that high full throttle to see the 2-3 shift much.

I guess I am looking for a total price.

SHUMAX
The 404 & Hoses run about 50 after tax from Pepboys.. the ATF, depends on what you want. If you just drain and refill, it should be like 3-4 quarts, which can range from like 1.50 per to 5 per to 8 per? Forgot how much redline costs.

Im not sure how many quarts you need. My car needed like 6.5 (heh, vb + tranny cooler.. atf everywhere..)
Old 04-07-2001, 10:08 PM

if I would have drained al of it out I wouldve needed close to 9

Quarts in there. But I couldnt get the bolt undone so I am getting it totally flushed very soon. I just added the extra in with new ATF . Yup, it was 50 at pepboys(49.00), comes with all the equipment and hardware, even a hose. I talked to SMX and he said that he needed to buy an extra hose because since his is a 4th gen. He needed longer hoses and he replaced some too. I replaced one of mine and left the other one on. Since I had a shorter length to go and the hose they provided for me was more than long enough, I cut it and used the other piece to make a new hose out of. My car is an 88 so its different from you alls in away. For you all 95-99's itll be way easier for you all to do being that you all have way more room in the front of the car than I do on my 88 so installing should only take about 30 minutes for you all. Its an easy job. Go for it .
Old 04-07-2001, 10:26 PM
MAXDriver

Congrats on your new tranny cooler.
I installed mine last week end. I noticed my tranny shifts a *tiny* bit faster. I thought it was just my imagination running wild 'til I see your post now. The great part is when you stop the car and put your hand on the tranny cooler to feel the tubes. HOT.
Then the tranny cooler must be working hard to cool the fluid.

Originally posted by max88q
Installed it today with the help of Wayne aka SMX. Thanks man. Its great! Transmission feels different in a good way. Also on the highway my excelleration feels different I cant explain it, now it actually feels like I am getting better grip with the transmission or something. I also put some new transmission fluid in to add, but I am going to get it fully flushed pretty soon. But its great no leaks and everything is fine. Thanks again Wayne it was a tight fit but worked out well. For all the 4th gen. owners itd be way easier for you to do it so Id say go at it. I had to modify some stuff to compensate for the hoses and the tight fit of the Tranny cooler. But for you all I think it would be a very clean and very easy fit. It originally says it takes 30 minutes to install, mine had to be modified so it took longer. But Id say its a great investment for alittle money thatll save you lots in the end.

Old 04-08-2001, 06:52 AM

yeah its cool to feel the tubes

and notice that its HOT, so it must be working a great deal to cool the fluid down. I woke up today just to look at it. Its pretty cool having it. Its an easy job. For some reason I guess some may see it and they are like manI dont want to mess with anything dealing with the transmission I might mess something up. Its not hard. Just mount the tranny cooler going vertical or horizontal. You may want to connect the hoses on first then install so you wont be messing with small space to put them on. Then find which hose is your return and which one is the feed to the radiator. After doing that connect a hose to the return line (fluid going back to the transmission) to the cooler. Then, connect the other hose going from the cooler to the Transmission. This way the coolest fluid gets to the transmission. Mount the Cooler in front of the radiator to get 100% air flow and cooling. There are other places to mount it but would restrict the amount of air flow and cooling done. Then after checking for leaks, Turn the car on and leave in park, now check the fluid level. You will need to add about an extra 2 Quarts to compensate for the extra travel and space. After that turn the car back on and leave in park again and check the fluid level it should be full. Dont over fill there is a such thing as too much ATF. After youve filled the transmission up since you lost some fluid and ran the car with less than it had and added some. While the car is on, press the brake down and run through the gears at a stand still to make sure that all the gears are fine and all is working. Id say leave the car in each gear for about 10 seconds. Then that should complete the process and you are ready to drive. Youll notice a bit of difference in shifting and in mine I have notice that on highway speeds the transmission feels like its getting more of a bite or something. But that will complete the Whole Hayden 404 tranny cooler install. See its not hard at all. It also comes with instructions so they should help you also, if needed. Good luck! And have fun!
Old 04-08-2001, 12:53 PM

pictures?

Do you have any pictures of the cooler or the install. Does the cooler come with instructions for the instal?

Thanks,
SHUMAX
Old 04-08-2001, 03:53 PM

I dont have any pics to put up on the net

But it does come with great instructions and all the hardware necessary for the Job. I installed mine vertically being that a bar in the middle of my car restricted me from putting it in the Horizontal way. You 4th.gen guys have alot more room and it will fit in there horizontally. Its not hard trust me.
Old 04-08-2001, 05:37 PM

ok

I am going to get one...soon. You said it was the 404. Is that the model number? Is that what I should ask for, specifically; Hayden Tranny cooler #404?

Does anyone know of a site that shows how-to pics of this install?

Thanks!

SHUMAX
Old 04-08-2001, 07:11 PM

Re: ok

Originally posted by shumax
I am going to get one...soon. You said it was the 404. Is that the model number? Is that what I should ask for, specifically; Hayden Tranny cooler #404?

Does anyone know of a site that shows how-to pics of this install?

Thanks!

SHUMAX
yEAH just ask for the Tranny cooler number 404 it should say on the side 404 in black letters.