General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Y-Pipe Install - Help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Guys,
Because of the how bad the bolts were rusted on I decided to let a local shop do the install.
When I got the car back, I noticed that it is much louder (and I have stock exhaust) the sound is coming from the engine area. There are a few issues.

1. Making right hand turns it sounds like the pipe is hitting something (I think it might be to close to one of the cross members underneath). I can hear the noise right behind my radio.
2. When I accelerate and I'm over 2500 RPMs there is a loud "clicking noise". It's hard to describe, but it's also coming from the area around the radio.

FYI - It's a Warpspeed Stainless Steel pipe. Has anyone else had similar issues? I did notice that the stock pipe has a support bracket that the Warpspeed pipe does not.
Maybe the gaskets are the wrong size? Or something else.

Please Please Help!!!
Old 04-08-2001, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also have this noise that sounds like the pipe is hitting against something. I only get this sound sometimes. This happens when I'm at a stop and then press on the gas to accelerate. Then, I would hear this clanking noise. I don't have the clicking noise you described. However, I do noticed that sometimes I get this sound like something is leaking. I'm not sure about that. The shop that I got my pipe installed said this y-pipe was poorly designed. Again, I don't know about that.
Old 04-08-2001, 04:31 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

if i were you guys i would call or email dallas or dan...they will be very helpful to you in troubleshooting these problems...i have the SS Y as well and have yet to have any rubbing or noise issues...
Old 04-08-2001, 07:18 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

HERES YOUR FIX!!!

I installed the VQ pipe on my 97 gxe auto and had a slight rubbing sound. When I looked at everything again, I noticed that the isolation mount at the cat was rubbing on the right side on the underside. To fix this, I installed a couple of washers under the right side rubber piece, and a couple more under the left nut. This centered everything out and presto...no more sound. It's really easy and only takes about 10 minutes to do. The only other thing you can do is cut off the foward right post, that is what rubs, of the isolation mount, it just holds a screw (1 of 2) that holds part of the heat shield. But this is up to you, I would just put the washers in. I can send some if ya all live close by, I have about a million at work. The only problem with the Y-Pipe is that the flex section is not very flexible (it's brand new!!) so it pulls the pipe to the right. I'm going to take the washers out in a couple weeks and see if the flex line conformed to the new shape. If you installed it yourself, you could see there's not much else they could do with the limited space. Hope this helps. More ?'s, I'll reply when I can. mtrai760@aol.com
Old 04-08-2001, 07:45 PM
Administrator

i have the problem also..i am going to try the above solution
Old 04-08-2001, 07:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

notice

Guys here's something to notice/think about as part of your solution.

You may not be aware how much your engine MOVES when you accelerate or put the car in reverse. Try this. Get down on the ground beside your car. Have a friend, with the e-brake and brake securely on, move the car into reverse and engage clutch/give a little throttle. Notice how the tension on the y-pipe changes. This can definitely cause noises because the pipe moves and changes the stresses on different parts of the mounts under the car.

As Mtrai said, one good place to check is the isolation mount. But some people forget this thing is moving and flexing depending on torque, etc. So something it's not touching when the car is OFF may be hitting when put in gear, etc.

/aac
Old 04-08-2001, 08:02 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I'm pretty sure it's the foward right side of the isolation mount that everyone's having trouble with. I had a terrible grinding noise, and when I raised the car, I noticed the paint scraped off and it was touching. acitrano's right, the engine moves a lot, just pull on the throttle cable and watch. I can't fix electronics worth a damn, but I'm a helicopter mechanic and can monkey almost anything into place. I don't have a digital camera, but I can try to borrow one and take some pic's if anyone needs further assistance. Just my $.02. Good luck all.