General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

APC Wire Harness: How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 01:18 PM

Can someone tell me how the upgraded wire harness. Is it the wires that prevent if from burning or is it the actual design of the socket. Reason I am asking is because I think I have a defective socket and I'd like to replace it. Instead of replacing the whole kit I have an extra 9004 headlight adapter which I thought of just replacing the APC socket with. Would such a procedure work without ruining the performance of the upgraded wire harness?

Thanks,
Roman
Old 04-09-2001, 01:25 PM

It's mainly the wires that you are concerned with >>

Originally posted by roman
Can someone tell me how the upgraded wire harness. Is it the wires that prevent if from burning or is it the actual design of the socket. Reason I am asking is because I think I have a defective socket and I'd like to replace it. Instead of replacing the whole kit I have an extra 9004 headlight adapter which I thought of just replacing the APC socket with. Would such a procedure work without ruining the performance of the upgraded wire harness?

Thanks,
Roman
The APC harness uses the heavier gauge wire to reduce resistance in the wires, thus reducing heat. Also, though i don't know the exact construction and material of the connectors, they do seem to be able to take a greater amount of temperature also. If you're going to replace the connector, make sure it is one that can take the heat.

http://www.autosyndicate.com/images/...rnessSmall.jpg

Look at the pic, the two relays (top/middle right) recieve the signal to fire from your stock relays, via the stock connector. When fired, the APC relays allow current to fow directly from the battery to the bulbs. Some here have complained about bad relays...check and make sure yours are in working order.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: It's mainly the wires that you are concerned with >>

Originally posted by Albertt

The APC harness uses the heavier gauge wire to reduce resistance in the wires, thus reducing heat. Also, though i don't know the exact construction and material of the connectors, they do seem to be able to take a greater amount of temperature also. If you're going to replace the connector, make sure it is one that can take the heat.

http://www.autosyndicate.com/images/...rnessSmall.jpg

Look at the pic, the two relays (top/middle right) recieve the signal to fire from your stock relays, via the stock connector. When fired, the APC relays allow current to fow directly from the battery to the bulbs. Some here have complained about bad relays...check and make sure yours are in working order.
Thanks for the reply...
I checked all the relays and everything works. On the passenger side headlight, the plastic around the connector that goes from the ground to the bulb has melted. That is why I am having problems. Unfortunatley, it's been 30 days since I received my order so I don't think I can return it.
I took a look at the extra socket I have and the wires are definitley smaller guauge then the ones in the Wire Harness. Any ideas on how I can substitute the good socket for the melted one? Maybe you know a way of fixing the old one?

Thanks,
Roman
Old 04-10-2001, 08:08 AM

Hmmm >>

Originally posted by roman

On the passenger side headlight, the plastic around the connector that goes from the ground to the bulb has melted. That is why I am having problems...I took a look at the extra socket I have and the wires are definitley smaller guauge then the ones in the Wire Harness. Any ideas on how I can substitute the good socket for the melted one? Maybe you know a way of fixing the old one?

Thanks,
Roman
Here's the deal. The extra connector you have...is it a factory part? If so, it wouldn't help if you were to substitute it in. Due to the fact that the wires are thinner, all the resistance would build up at this point and you would eventually melt this connector also. The whole reason why one uses the APC harness to gain the advantages that the thicker wires and more robust connectors afford.

I'm curious, how did you manage to melt the APC harness's connector? Are you running bulbs that are higher in wattage than the usual 80/100W units? If so, then this might be the cause of the problem. I'm not sure how to help you here...because I'd need to see the melted connector you have to better assess the condition. The next thing for you to do would be to contact APC and ask them if they could ship you a new connector...though, they'd probably charge you quite a bit for it.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

the male socket (part that goes into the light bulb) can be bought at your local parts store. i got mine from pepboys. the female one is the tought one to get.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by DanNY
the male socket (part that goes into the light bulb) can be bought at your local parts store. i got mine from pepboys. the female one is the tought one to get.

I have a regular connector which I bought at a local parts store. I'll try to find one that has thicker wires but I don't think I'll have any luck. I tightened the metal connector a bit so perhaps it'll stay on the bulb without the plastic, I'll see how that works tonight. If not, I am not sure what I'm gonna do.
As far as I can see, the male connector doesn't do anything except makes it easy to interchange bulbs....with this in mind I am thinking of just attaching the individual wires to the actual bulb, and bypassing the plastic socket.