General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pics of Poorman's CAI version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 06:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Here are the pics of the Poorman's CAI version 2.0. The First pic shows hole cut in the airbox on the fender side. The second pic shows how the intake pipe is run up behind the headlight. The screw driver is pointing to the rubber used to insulate the intake elbox from the heat. This revised Poorman's CAI sounds like a bad ****. It sounds like a PR CAI at 30%.

Dave
Old 04-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Pic#2
Old 04-13-2001, 03:25 AM
ryz

what size is that hose cause i was looking at that yesterday its not much room behind the light, unless you crimp the hose as it goes down
Old 04-13-2001, 06:42 AM
kierandill

Do the Max's have the intake resonator in the fender under the battery like the Alty's do?

Old 04-13-2001, 06:55 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by kierandill
Do the Max's have the intake resonator in the fender under the battery like the Alty's do?
Yep. It is the elbow connector to that resonator that is removed for Poorman's CAI Version 1.0. The whole thing can be removed, but you have to take out the battery tray. Hmm, maybe I'll do that since I'll be takin apart most of my engine today anyway...
Old 04-13-2001, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you think that it's doing much performance wise?

I want to use those two holes on the front of my stillen from lip and run hose from the back of them into the intake system somehow... I just have not figured out where and how yet, I just know it will look cool if I pull it off..
Old 04-13-2001, 07:05 AM
kierandill

Originally posted by mzmtg

Yep. It is the elbow connector to that resonator that is removed for Poorman's CAI Version 1.0. The whole thing can be removed, but you have to take out the battery tray. Hmm, maybe I'll do that since I'll be takin apart most of my engine today anyway...
Reason I ask is here:
http://members.home.net/kieran.dill/cai.htm

If your Maxs have the same hole, and have access to it, you could do your CAI like this. Maybe your CAI version 1 was like this - dunno.

Old 04-13-2001, 07:14 AM

any other input

I'm looking to do as many home/poor man's mods to my car today. I'm looking to build my own cone filter. I remmember somebody posting something about it with instruciton. Do any of you guys remember what that link was? Also, I'm about to run to the Lowe's around the corner to pick up some light covering and a heat gun to do my corners and rear lights. I'm using brianv's page for the instructions. Any other mods that you gusy can thing of and instructions to do so?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-13-2001, 07:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: any other input

Originally posted by Frezny
I'm looking to do as many home/poor man's mods to my car today. I'm looking to build my own cone filter. I remmember somebody posting something about it with instruciton. Do any of you guys remember what that link was? Also, I'm about to run to the Lowe's around the corner to pick up some light covering and a heat gun to do my corners and rear lights. I'm using brianv's page for the instructions. Any other mods that you gusy can thing of and instructions to do so?

Thanks,
Ryan

Have you rewired your blinkers? Do you want to? The side marker (not clearnce light) and turn signal will blink together with the headlights off and they will alternate blinking when your headlights are on. I dont know if this is "cool" or not, but I like having some side signaling ability. Cut the ground wire to your side marker (its black) and splice it into the positive wire of your turn signal (that wire isnt black). That's easy and free.

Painting your dash is easy and cheap...if you're into that. Just sand, prime, paint, clear coat. I did it, looks better than a kit IMO. There are pics at the link in my sig.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:35 AM

I may try that

Thanks for the input I may try that too. Any other suggestions? I'm still looking to make a Cone filter myself. I guess I'll just run to the hardware store and see what I can dig up.
Old 04-13-2001, 09:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by ryz
what size is that hose cause i was looking at that yesterday its not much room behind the light, unless you crimp the hose as it goes down
I used 2.5" shopvac hose like I used for the lower intake pipe. The plan was too run the secondary pipe down into the fender well (it can be done), but I decided to cut it short so that it sits about 2" off the rear of the headlight. WHy did I do this? Because my stock driving lights have been replaced with round driving lights therefore air gets into the fender and into the engine compartment. How do I know the air gets up there? Because I tested it with a temp gauge. At a 35mph roll, I've got 55 degree air (on a 50 degree day) blowing right up to the new secondary pipe. Replacing the factory fogs has let me do a lot of air induction work. Both my Poorman's CAI intake pipes are centered around the driver's side fog light.

Dave
Old 04-13-2001, 09:29 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by kierandill

Reason I ask is here:
http://members.home.net/kieran.dill/cai.htm

If your Maxs have the same hole, and have access to it, you could do your CAI like this. Maybe your CAI version 1 was like this - dunno.
ummm...PVC is BAD...never use PVC to make an intake system
Old 10-12-2001, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

ummm...PVC is BAD...never use PVC to make an intake system
please tell why...
Old 10-12-2001, 04:02 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Dave B
Both my Poorman's CAI intake pipes are centered around the driver's side fog light.

Dave
Welp, I guess that screws me, right there. I have fog lights, so....d@mnet.