General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP, Need O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 10:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I had my new y-pipe installed today and the guy at the shop couldn't get the O2 sensor out of the rear down pipe of the stock pipe. I need to get a new one, but where are the best prices? Also any tips on how to get that one out, i'm gonna give it a shot.
Old 04-15-2001, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Vester Nissan in NC - $60
Local Dealerships - $82 - $100

wht kind of shop can't get out an O2 sensor.. that was the easiest thing to get out... tell them to use a wrench and a breaker bar... or give them a subscription to the gym

then can torch it if they must.. just that you would not be able to use it again
Old 04-15-2001, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Vester Nissan in NC - $60
Local Dealerships - $82 - $100

wht kind of shop can't get out an O2 sensor.. that was the easiest thing to get out... tell them to use a wrench and a breaker bar... or give them a subscription to the gym

then can torch it if they must.. just that you would not be able to use it again

They said that they tried the breaker bar but it started to round it self-off. I was thinking about getting new ones anyways. They didn't need to torch it because i would still need a good one. So should i get a bosch one?
Old 04-15-2001, 12:45 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

They said that they tried the breaker bar but it started to round it self-off. I was thinking about getting new ones anyways. They didn't need to torch it because i would still need a good one. So should i get a bosch one?
rounded off? they were probably using standard sockets instead of metric or 12pt or something...i can't believe a shop would have that kind of problem

anyway...stick with OEM on the sensor....
Old 04-15-2001, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

rounded off? they were probably using standard sockets instead of metric or 12pt or something...i can't believe a shop would have that kind of problem

anyway...stick with OEM on the sensor....

I left them the instructions from the internet with the pipe, and you can't use a 12pt because you have to use an open ended socket on an O2 sensor, i guess i need to save up some cash for a new one now. After i put it in i need to reset my ecu right?
Old 04-15-2001, 02:06 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

I left them the instructions from the internet with the pipe, and you can't use a 12pt because you have to use an open ended socket on an O2 sensor, i guess i need to save up some cash for a new one now. After i put it in i need to reset my ecu right?
yeah reset the ecu....
Old 04-16-2001, 01:25 PM

Is it possible to install the O2 sensor incorrectly?

I put my y-pipe in about 2 months ago, and around that same time frame my Maxima started to "miss" a little bit at take-off, and now is just running kinda bad. Did I put it in wrong? Sorry for the dumb question. Just need to know. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2001, 01:27 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Is it possible to install the O2 sensor incorrectly?

Originally posted by Isaacm
I put my y-pipe in about 2 months ago, and around that same time frame my Maxima started to "miss" a little bit at take-off, and now is just running kinda bad. Did I put it in wrong? Sorry for the dumb question. Just need to know. Thanks!
did you reset the ECU? i'd try that first...then i would remove and reinstall the sensor...i didn't have any probs after throwing the WSP Y on...
Old 04-16-2001, 01:44 PM

Re: Re: Is it possible to install the O2 sensor incorrectly?

did you reset the ECU? i'd try that first...then i would remove and reinstall the sensor...i didn't have any probs after throwing the WSP Y on...

THERE is no sensor to install wrong, i am missing the sensor.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:45 PM

Re: Re: Is it possible to install the O2 sensor incorrectly?

While putting on the WSP y-pipe, I had the O2 sensor out, and the negative battery terminal off for about 4-6 hours. Should that have worked? I think it might just be that it went bad around the same time: after all I do have 119,000 miles on original sensor. I should probably just change it.

Now to get on that subject, is Courtesy the best price? and do I have to do any re-wiring?

Thanks for the response!
Old 04-16-2001, 01:51 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to install the O2 sensor incorrectly?

THERE is no sensor to install wrong, i am missing the sensor.
my response was to Isaacm...

Originally posted by Isaacm

While putting on the WSP y-pipe, I had the O2 sensor out, and the negative battery terminal off for about 4-6 hours. Should that have worked? I think it might just be that it went bad around the same time: after all I do have 119,000 miles on original sensor. I should probably just change it.

Now to get on that subject, is Courtesy the best price? and do I have to do any re-wiring?

Thanks for the response!
yeah....i would change it at that mileage...no rewireing is needed...it plugs into the existing harness....apparently a few posts up Sprintmax says Vester nissan is cheaper...i'd call them both to see who beats who...
Old 04-16-2001, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to install the O2 sensor incorrectly?

my response was to Isaacm...

yeah....i would change it at that mileage...no rewireing is needed...it plugs into the existing harness....apparently a few posts up Sprintmax says Vester nissan is cheaper...i'd call them both to see who beats who...
Sorry