General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

EGR or not to EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
2060lbs and falling...

You are not the original owner I assume unless it was your parents car. The fuel economy has certainly not always sucked. Sounds like a faulty rear O2 sensor to me. What was your top speed before you did the tranny? What is your top speed now? Auto top speed of ~125 and terrible gas mileage are the main symptoms of a bad rear O2 sensor. Get on the ground and check to see if its damaged. One little knick with a rock and its dead. You getting a code? Seems it doesn't always throw one.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Custom User Title

2nd owner... I never tested the top speed of the auto but in my 5spd I went as high as 136 but I stopped or else I would have kept going.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Broaner
You are not the original owner I assume unless it was your parents car. The fuel economy has certainly not always sucked. Sounds like a faulty rear O2 sensor to me. What was your top speed before you did the tranny? What is your top speed now? Auto top speed of ~125 and terrible gas mileage are the main symptoms of a bad rear O2 sensor. Get on the ground and check to see if its damaged. One little knick with a rock and its dead. You getting a code? Seems it doesn't always throw one.
The rear O2 sensor does nothing for the air/fuel ratio.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
SomePsychoGuy

It won't really keep it cleaner. It will stop it from getting dirtier but some serious cleaning will be required to get it back to cast aluminum. I spent 10 hours cleaning it with some serious parts cleaning solvent and it barely looks like I touched it. I think that might be what you meant. Just making sure.

Well I just installed MEVI not too long ago and I cleaned the Lower IM pretty well so right now it is fairly clean.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Chassis Freak

But if you get the manifold extrude-honed and then remove EGR, you will keep the inside relatively clean, no?
Old 01-05-2005, 06:02 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by nismology
The rear O2 sensor does nothing for the air/fuel ratio.
This is true when the rear O2 is working properly. When its busted it throws the car into a sort of safe mode. The car runs extremely rich and has a top speed much lower than normal do the less powerful rich condition. Don't make me prove it to you cause everyone that has ever contested this with me has gotten owned.

Tom, there is no other source of dirt/grim/carbon buildup inside the manifold if there is no EGR or PCV. It will stay as clean as the moment you put it on. The amount of small dust particles getting through the filter is very minimal and they don't have the sticky characteristic that the PCV/EGR mixture does. Maybe after 20K there will be a slight film of dust on the walls of the IM but it will only take a swipe of the finger to clean it.

FYI, Extrude Hone says specifically on their website that the IM must be very clean when they get it. There process will not work as well if its dirty. So if you send them a dirty manifold they will charge more to clean it.

h2k, you installed a brand new MEVI? That is the way to go if you're doing a MEVI. How clean did you get the LIM and what solvent/cleaner did you use?
Old 01-05-2005, 06:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I found a plug in my shop that threaded in, but it was the wrong threads. So when I torqued it down, it would slip a thread. But this plug would be awesome if I had the right one. I would recommend taking the EGR tube to a hardware store and finding a bolt that matches up, then plugging that sucker. It doesn't matter if the bolt sticks up 3 inches, it will plug it just fine.

Since this brass plug didn't work, I removed it and put the EGR tube in a bench vise, cut it, smashed the end, then folded it over once, then smashed it again. There is no way it's leaking.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:58 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I cut the OEM pipe and welded a bolt in there. Then I ground down the nut and painted it all up. I also was thinking of finding a bolt but realized that it would be very difficult to find a bolt that large. So, I used a bolt I had lying around and it was free.
Yeah I saw that about 5 posts up! lol It looks good. I can care less how mine looks as long as it seals.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah, I'm retarded. It was late.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I found a plug in my shop that threaded in, but it was the wrong threads. So when I torqued it down, it would slip a thread. But this plug would be awesome if I had the right one. I would recommend taking the EGR tube to a hardware store and finding a bolt that matches up, then plugging that sucker. It doesn't matter if the bolt sticks up 3 inches, it will plug it just fine.

Since this brass plug didn't work, I removed it and put the EGR tube in a bench vise, cut it, smashed the end, then folded it over once, then smashed it again. There is no way it's leaking.

Thats exactly what my plug looks like... I welded the stock one shut. Looks pretty good.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Yes I installed a new MEVI about 2 months ago or so. Last night I checked the infamous screws (although mine have red loctite on the threads and are JB welded to the rod) and looked down through the valves and the manifold was decently clean. In the next few months I will probably remove the whole EGR system.

To clean it I just used some throttle body clean I had around the house, some paper towels, and an old tooth brush.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:03 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Just thought I'd bring this thread back for future reference. Here is an example of the plate required to block of the 4th gen EGR IM port.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Go Get a Life!

Just thought I'd bring this thread back for future reference. Here is an example of the plate required to block of the 4th gen EGR IM port.
Nice can you send me one
Old 01-25-2005, 09:00 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Are you being serious? I can send one but not any time soon. A buddy made it in the school shop and we have finals this week.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Custom User Title

LOL..... I had a friend make me a plate for my 00VI in school as well..
Old 01-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Go Get a Life!

Are you being serious? I can send one but not any time soon. A buddy made it in the school shop and we have finals this week.

Yeah, if you have one ready to ship out by the end of this month cause I'll prob make one myself before that.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 AM
2060lbs and falling...

If you can make one yourself that would be better. Making this is actually more of a PITA than it seems. Took a whole class! LOL. I feel bad charging you cause its so simple.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:18 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Yeah you could probably sell those pretty well on here. I think there are enough people who are fed up with dirty IMs.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
Yeah you could probably sell those pretty well on here. I think there are enough people who are fed up with dirty IMs.
For a long time I used a homemade EGR gasket without the central hole, effectively preventing exhaust gas from entering the IM. It's pretty easy to do with some thick gasket material and the oem gasket as a template. It will trigger a CEL, though.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Custom User Title

^^^^ I have had my EGR disconnected for so long, but I don't seem to get a code?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM

Maybe the CEL light is blown? As soon as the EGR temp sensor doesn't send a signal to the ECU in situations that call for EGR the there should be an 0302 code (at the very least)...
Old 01-26-2005, 12:15 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
Alright the going rate is $10 shipped. I'm going to be able to do them myself because I'm taking Advanced Manufacturing as an independant study. Let me know if you want one.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Custom User Title

Maybe the CEL light is blown? As soon as the EGR temp sensor doesn't send a signal to the ECU in situations that call for EGR the there should be an 0302 code (at the very least)...
The light is on for all of the AT transmission codes..?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
The light is on for all of the AT transmission codes..?
IIRC the AT codes are showed by the O/D light, not the CEL light...
Old 01-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Custom User Title

^^nope.. I just need to change to a 5spd ECU
Old 01-26-2005, 04:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Alright the going rate is $10 shipped. I'm going to be able to do them myself because I'm taking Advanced Manufacturing as an independant study. Let me know if you want one.
Wow! That is cheap! I made one for myself, spent almost an hour on it and used 1/8 thick galvanized metal. I've been using it for almost 10 months now and I've inspected it a few times during all my major projects and it's holding up perfectly. But if I chose to make these for VEs, then I'd charge over $30 shipped b/c it takes a little time for me to make it. And mine is not close to being as nice as yours.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Wow! That is cheap! I made one for myself, spent almost an hour on it and used 1/8 thick galvanized metal. I've been using it for almost 10 months now and I've inspected it a few times during all my major projects and it's holding up perfectly. But if I chose to make these for VEs, then I'd charge over $30 shipped b/c it takes a little time for me to make it. And mine is not close to being as nice as yours.
Making out of steel makes the process much longer. My buddy made this in less than one class period(47 minutes). Drilling and cutting this soft aluminum is like cutting butter. Why are you worried about yours failing? There is no great load on it. Even in boosted situations there is only 5-15PSI of pressure on it. That really isn't much when you get down to it. You can make like 5PSI blowing through a blocked straw with your mouth. If a plastic straw can hold I sure as hel! hope steel can hold up. Thanks for being support and compliment though. Okay all, thanks to Aaron these will be $15 shipped. LOL. I really don't want to sell these but will if someone really needs one I will.

IIRC the AT codes are showed by the O/D light, not the CEL light...
Not true. For example, disconecting the dropping resistor throws a 0745. The TCM displays its codes through the O/D light but then transfers them to the ECU. Basically, the AT codes are displayed in two places.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Making out of steel makes the process much longer. My buddy made this in less than one class period(47 minutes). Drilling and cutting this soft aluminum is like cutting butter. Why are you worried about yours failing? There is no great load on it. Even in boosted situations there is only 5-15PSI of pressure on it. That really isn't much when you get down to it. You can make like 5PSI blowing through a blocked straw with your mouth. If a plastic straw can hold I sure as hel! hope steel can hold up. Thanks for being support and compliment though. Okay all, thanks to Aaron these will be $15 shipped. LOL. I really don't want to sell these but will if someone really needs one I will.
Ah crap! Thanks! Now everybody hates me! lol I jsut saw that yours looked pretty thick. And I'm saying that my thin one works very well. There is no reason why it needs to be thick for the very reason you explained. Now that I think about it, mine is not 1/8" thick. It's closer to 1/16". But some people think that you need a heavy duty chunk of metal, and you don't.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:55 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah. 1/4" is the aluminum we had in the shop. He was in a hurry I guess. Maybe I'll mill it down to 1/8th next week.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:19 PM

LOL..... I had a friend make me a plate for my 00VI in school as well..

damn what school are you guys taking about like college or something?? if so im have to make some new friends so i can use them to make some plates for me as well
Old 01-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Custom User Title

^^^the shop in my highschool has machines, and metal cutters youv'e never even heard of beforelol
Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 PM

^^^the shop in my highschool has machines, and metal cutters youv'e never even heard of beforelol

lucky bastard!!! im go see if i can trade some beer for some plate @ my local high school, it would be cheap 12 pack of bud = iacv adpter or better yet i can make my girl use some of that sex apeal on the teenseither way its a win win situation
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Our school has some insane shop stuff. There are four big @ss rooms. Woods/Construction, Manufacturing, Electronics, & Graphic Design. There is at least a half million bux of stuff in those rooms. Yet no automotive program. :frown: Its rediculous some of the stuff we have. We have a god d@mn plastic welder! Who the fxck is ever gonna use that? We have two brand new TIGs and two brand new MIGs. We also got an ancient milli-machine that works like a charm. There are tons of other little things like pipe benders, bench grinders and drill presses. I love it! Tax money hard at work to allow kids like me to modify their cars. LOL.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah. 1/4" is the aluminum we had in the shop. He was in a hurry I guess. Maybe I'll mill it down to 1/8th next week.
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd keep it 1/4". It looks very nice! Unless you want to have some fun on the milling machine, go ahead.

Did you replace your EGR valve studs? Or did you just use spacers on the studs so that the nuts can tighten the block plate?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:49 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Are you talking about the IM? 4th gens don't have studs. They look like this.

Actually, it normally looks like this but I'm a weight freak. That is why I wanna mill down the plate.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:58 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Oh I see Broaner. The VE's looks like this:

Some people have simply removed the studs and put in shorter ones, some kept the EGR on the car and just blocked it, but I removed the EGR valve, crimped the exhaust tube, and blocked the EGR passage. I used some cheap sockets I had as junkers and used those as spacers. It works! That's all that matters.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Nissport EGR block off kit:
http://www.nissport.com/catalog/prod...tType=Products
possible fitment for maximas.....
Old 07-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Go Get a Life!

sweet, did you try calling them.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Go Get a Life!

Guys with blocked off EGR ports, have you noticed your car running richer..
Old 07-09-2005, 02:51 PM

You can make like 5PSI blowing through a blocked straw with your mouth.
A straw may hold 5 psi but you can't create that much pressure with your mouth. Try blowing as hard as you can into a boost gauge. You might get 1-2 psi. I know its just an example though.

Steel or aluminum will definitely hold some boost.

Quick Reply: EGR or not to EGR?