General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For those who have real HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 08:37 PM

For those who have real HID lights, is everyone pleased with their performance? Just curious, I ordered mine last week and I'm having some second thoughts.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by edadams
For those who have real HID lights, is everyone pleased with their performance? Just curious, I ordered mine last week and I'm having some second thoughts.
yes mine kick butt .. love them ..
Old 04-16-2001, 09:05 PM

I think he's talking about the aftermarket HID's
Originally posted by acitrano

yes mine kick butt .. love them ..
Old 04-16-2001, 09:24 PM

Yes, Aftermarket. Especially anyone who has purchased the dual h4 kit made by bellof. This kit allows use of high beam and low beam via a servo control. Only applicable on e spec lights 2k max and up. I hope this kit works.
Old 04-16-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
I think he's talking about the aftermarket HID's
I think so too.

Old 04-16-2001, 10:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have 2 HID kits, one pair in my headlights and 1 pair in my fogs. To say the least they are bright as all hell! The beam pattern is not as good as stock, but that only bothers on comming traffic not me, hehe. They don't seem to mind to much, I get high beamed maybe once a week.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:52 AM

The cheapest I've found the Phillips HID for is $519 shipped. Does anyone know where might sell them cheaper?
Old 04-17-2001, 08:53 AM

where did u order from ... and how much? n/m

Originally posted by edadams
Yes, Aftermarket. Especially anyone who has purchased the dual h4 kit made by bellof. This kit allows use of high beam and low beam via a servo control. Only applicable on e spec lights 2k max and up. I hope this kit works.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:28 PM

SY: Don't do it bro...don't destroy your precious H4s. :) nm

nm
Old 04-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

I am a dealer for Philips. I've been doing sales on HIDs for $490+shipping. It'll usually turn out below $520 given you don't do COD and/or 2nd day air.
Tim

-Peace

Hey, my healightbulbs were burned..had to get something quick!!!!

BTW, Hogan I am still waiting on the NEW blue Philip burners!!!(with shield rite?)
I am beginning to dislike the beam pattern my produces!!!

Tim

Old 04-17-2001, 01:20 PM

Re: SY: Don't do it bro...don't destroy your precious H4s. :) nm

Why would it destroy the H-4's?
Old 04-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Wustylez

I know you hate them. I remember when I had them, and switched the to the shielded ones, and recently the insane Cibie Burners which put out so much light. You are one of the 4 rush shipments that were made with the obsolete non-shielded burners. You'll be getting your shielded burners in a week and a half. Like I said I'll send them to you, and you have to send your old ones back.

The blue capsules rite???

BTW, will I get pull over for those blue burners???

Thank
Tim

Old 04-17-2001, 03:04 PM

NEW blue Philip burners? What are these? I have an HID kit too, but they're more of a white than a blue like all the stock HID cars. Is there a reason for this? I have a Philips/Hella kit, beam pattern corrected for projectors.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:29 PM

Hey guys what's this about blue burners? Is it the same as what I've read about in a previous thread about quartz capsules for the HID. If not what are they? Someone please explain.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:31 PM

I have a beam of yellow(at the top) that is way thicker than the blue beam(also at the top). So is there something that's wrong with my kit? Do I need a shield too or is it for sealed beam kits?
Old 04-17-2001, 05:01 PM

Yes. You see, all the light coming out of the projector housing is covered, with a slit opening before it reaches the projector lens. This is what gives it the beam pattern as it is a horizontal slit that slants up, then horizontal again(hope I haven't lost you). It's only about a 1/4" opening. This makes the light extend farther on the passenger side. However, it is at this cutoff point that it seems to bend the light or something because that's where it gets the gold/brown color with a thin blue one, almost like a prism effect. It seems to be a thick beam up close, so I know it is thicker as the distance is farther. I can't seem to get rid of it. Also, are some cars HIDs more blue due to the optics of the reflectors? Or does it have to do with the hardware, brand, etc.? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:42 PM
Wustylez

Tim, they aren't aqua blue capsules. I've used those before, and in certain pitches of darkness it seems to blend in with the color. These are improved HID burners but have a shield to eliminate the yellow.
Funkdoobiest, its just a dealer- manufacturer mistake. I had a few customers who ordered HID kits thru me recieve the Philips Kit w/o the metal shield. Philips asked me to notify them, and ask if they wanted the one with beam correction, and since they have a new burner out, promote the new kits that will have them. Already have 2 solid orders with several others pending. Adam, and Patrick have already paid for the kits and will be shipping out as soon as they arrive at JFK.

-Peace

So do you know these NEW improved shielded HID burner are brighter or better than the previous ones with metal shield on it?

What are the differences?

Email me if you find out the differnces!!!

Thanks
Tim

Old 04-17-2001, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, I'm very pleased with them. The sharp cutoff is excellent as is the beam pattern and intensity.

(oh, this is on dad's `00 Acura 3.2TL with stock HID's )
Old 04-18-2001, 12:06 AM

Ya im waiting for my kit right now. ITs agonizing waiting for almost 2 weeks, and its only been 5 days so far
But it should be well worth it and im gonna take 1000 pics of different situations so everyone will know how badass hid's are...

Adam
Old 04-18-2001, 05:48 AM

Satisfied.....

But, I wish i had more of a blue tint. I'm also waiting for the new and improved Philips kit from Hogan.

GC
Old 04-18-2001, 10:45 AM
Wustylez

Funkdoobiest, the way certain cars look bluer than others has to do with both the equipment and reflector design. Really long to explain, so I won't bore anyone by trying to explain, but auto manufacturers never designed halogen housings to use HID systems, and it causes some problems.
Compare "hot spots" on a halogen bulb and an HID burner.
There is a difference where the light is emitted, and blah blah...you get the point right ?
Tim, I'm still waiting for them. I have no idea how they will look, I have the previous gen D2R burner w/ shield, but have yellow in them, and have not recieved the newer bluer ones.
Adam, LoL, sorry you got caught up in the "dry" period while everything new is coming out. Taking pictures everywhere....oh boy...watch out when you look into a HID burner too long...you can't see for about 2 minutes. ...I'm serious...
GC, sorry about the rush, I should've checked everything before I accepted the order. Funny thing is, the other kit had the shield on it, but I never notice these things cause they fit so quickly, and I just never think about them.
As soon as I get them in, GC, Tim, Adam, and Patrick will either be getting the shielded ones or brand new HID kits.

-Peace

Did you say brand new HID kit?????
wowhowowow, keep us posted as how the new philip burners look like!!!!

I am excited!!

Tim

Old 04-18-2001, 11:06 AM

Why would it destroy the H-4's? >>

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
Why would it destroy the H-4's?
Because the HB2 housings you and SY have are designed to be used with the H4/9003 bulb. By cramming in these HID conversions, you're destroying a perfectly good lamp with a good pattern, just to achieve a "pretty color". Besides, you also lose the use of your highbeams. Of course, one can argue, "with these HIDs, I can just aim my headlamps high and not worry about highbeams". Well, that's just great, so much for common courtesy and the quest to make your lighting situation better.

I don't know much about the Bellof kit...but until I see some test results, I'm going to lump that into the same group as the other kits.

I say, to you guys with the Cefiro front ends and to the 5th Gens guys, take it from someone who has done his homework, leave your H4s in...and enjoy the quality light that you get from them.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:14 AM

Funkdoobiest >>

Originally posted by Funkdoobiest
Yes. You see, all the light coming out of the projector housing is covered, with a slit opening before it reaches the projector lens. This is what gives it the beam pattern as it is a horizontal slit that slants up, then horizontal again(hope I haven't lost you). It's only about a 1/4" opening. This makes the light extend farther on the passenger side. However, it is at this cutoff point that it seems to bend the light or something because that's where it gets the gold/brown color with a thin blue one, almost like a prism effect. It seems to be a thick beam up close, so I know it is thicker as the distance is farther. I can't seem to get rid of it. Also, are some cars HIDs more blue due to the optics of the reflectors? Or does it have to do with the hardware, brand, etc.? Thanks.
Love the screename...what ever happened to them anyway...they had one good album and a couple of underground joints and they just disappeared.

The goldish yellow color is due to the fact that your projector housings weren't design for use with the HID bulb. Slight deviation in the focal point of the lamp would cause difraction in the light. Difraction translates to color changes, since the light is now being forced to change direction and velocity.

The cutoff you see was designed into the projector. The higher sweep to the right of both lamps is so that light can shine onto road signs. In countries where the cars are right-hand drive, this sweep would be to the left instead. In my opinion, projector style lamps fare better when HID conversion kits are used. This is simply due to the fact that the beam patterns are built into the projector housing. Reflector lamps don't have beam correct, and HB2 units that use the H4 bulb, depend on the bulb itself for a correct beam pattern.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:45 AM

Tim, I want to see these new burners too. Same Ballast, but new Burner design incorporating a metal shield instead of me having to send the basic HID kit to a manufacturer of shields and bases for the HID Retrofit. I'm wondering how blue they will look. If they will match the way the Panasonic HID ones look. Already taken orders from several Lexus owners who want the OE HID look. Price: $780/ea kit.
Panasonic is the OE supplier to several manufacturers.
The Quality of the kit is incredible, however, I have to send them to the manufacturer of shield and bases, since its just like a basic HID Burner Kit.
As soon as I get them Patrick and Adam will be getting them, then I have to start the paperwork on all the return of HID burners w/o the shield.

-Peace
So these kits for $780 is suppose to be the closest things to factory HID lights? So they are suppose to have the bluish tint to them? How bout the Bellof ones are they suppose to be close to OE because their website claims them to be the best.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:14 PM

Which kit do you have in your Maxima? >>

...I've done my homework, and know the insides and out of an HID system...The reason you're so negative, is simply because your mind is closed to the HID ideal. You've never seen the beam pattern, and been in pitch darkness or in fog that you can hardly see in front of you...I took the kit installed it, learned all the geometry behind the lenses and designed my own bases, and shield and took it to a sheetmetal manufacturer and they produced it for me. So don't give me the excuse of you don't like it cause you've never seen it...
I'm not being closed minded to HD systems...just those who install those hackjobs that ruin the beam pattern and lose their highbeams. You obviously have done your homework and I give you props for that.

I have driven in pitch darkness and know all about the deficiencies of out domestic lighting systems.

Do you have a 4th or 5th Gen?
Old 04-18-2001, 12:22 PM

Yo_its_ok >>

Can you please e-mail me at ridiculi@hotmail.com?

I would like to discuss your bulb shielding and mounting research. My thoughts are also on the improvement of the 9004 shields that the 4th Gens currently use.

If I had offended you previously, I apologize, I wasn't trying to be close minded to the whole HID issue. I for one, love HID systems...when they are executed properly. I'm an engineer and nothing annoys me (and you can ask Shing and Bill99GXE too) more than when some of these kids come up here and tout their HID kits not realizing the hazards they incur by using these hackjob kits.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:25 PM

Yo_its_ok: I just noticed that you have a 5thGen >>

With your HID kit, what do you use for highbeams?