General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Head Light Dimming. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 12:11 PM

I was just wanting to know why my headlights are constantly dimming when I press the brakes and when I use my turn signal? I was figuring that the lights dim when I step on the brakes because the brake lights are turning on, but do brake lights really draw that much current? same with the turn signals. does anyone else have this happen to them and if not, what could be the problem?
thanks for responses.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:27 PM
The missing moderator

are you moving when this is happening or when yuo are just idling? I know most cars I've been in will do that when on idle. Occationally, I'll see that in the max when driving, but not often. I think it should ok.

-Shing
Old 04-20-2001, 12:27 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by clsund
I was just wanting to know why my headlights are constantly dimming when I press the brakes and when I use my turn signal? I was figuring that the lights dim when I step on the brakes because the brake lights are turning on, but do brake lights really draw that much current? same with the turn signals. does anyone else have this happen to them and if not, what could be the problem?
thanks for responses.
you might want to get your alternator checked out, you shouldent have any dimming even with all your accesories on at night.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine does the same thing. . . I never knew what it was but it has done it since i have owned the car, even before the stereo being installed. I think something with the braking system in general uses a lot of current or something because when my last battery died, and I got the car jumped, the first stop I came to the car died again, so I just had it towed. . .
Old 04-20-2001, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by clsund
thanks for responses.

I have the same thing happen to my ride. I am also installing a stereo this weekend so I am really hoping my car doesn't die. My lights dim everytime I press the brake, put the car in D, use the power windows. Does anyone know if I get a new battery would this stop? Or do I need to get a new alternator? Also, I am guessing that my APC wire harness takes some energy away too. This really sucks. Any suggestions?

Roman
Old 04-20-2001, 03:18 PM

SHing- the dimming mostly happens while I'm driving but will also happen if I use the turn signal while i'm stopped. when the dimming does occur, I can hear something start winding up. not sure what that is.
thing is, the dimming is only momentary and the brightness returns in a couple of seconds usually.

I forgot to mention, I have installed a new battery since the old one died after only 3 1/2 years and that did not cure the dimming problem.

Well, at least I now know i'm not the only one suffering these symptoms. I think i'll get the alternator checked.