General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A GTP owner in chicago wants to run a max.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2000, 05:06 PM
Keven97SE

Re: How about Bryan H anyone?

Originally posted by Maximamike
Who's ran faster than Jeff K, with less mods, at a ****ty *** track(KCIR). 3rd gen powah!
And that's bullsh!t, too. He did a helluvalot more than he led on...like the shaved 300Z cams that he (uh, sorry) musta forget. Uh, more lift and duration will make a *bit* of a difference. I know he posted a kinda low dyno #, but either that was before some mods or the car wasn't running right, etc, etc. There's no WAY a car that's 100+ lbs heavier with 30 HP less (even less torque) than my car will be 0.5 sec faster in the 1/4 mile with just "good technique". I call bullsh!t.

If you guys actually timed your cars rather than BSing about "this other guy's car does..." you might begin to understand that how difficult it is to get the low times you expect. It's all about poor traction. You know, I'm not running bike tires here, so I know damn well you guys have the same limitations as me...

Old 08-24-2000, 05:21 PM

30 less hp?

He started with a VE. Same hp as you Keven. He has lots of original and home made mods some of you people on the bbs would never even think of doing. Talk to him on AIM or via email(squishy288@aol.com). He'll be happy to show you how its done.
Old 08-24-2000, 05:36 PM
The missing moderator

Blah blah

blah blah blah..
fact stock for stock
auto maxima will lose to GTP
5 speed maxima will put up a good fight.

Guys/Gals, we have to realize that the Maxima is a great car but damn, it's not the best car in the world. Yeah you are proud of your car, yeah you love your car, but damn... facts are facts... physics will always be the same on this planet, in this solar system... Newtonian physics probably only stops being true in a place like the black hole. At any rate, there is no reason trying to argue against something that's fact.

YES there will always be a case or two or three in which cars are very strong, very fast, blah blah blah... hell I had a freaky CRX... being that it's capable of high 15's with simple bolt ons and being the heaviest of all CRXs as well.

Facts are facts... your ***** won't shrink or you won't be less of a man just b/c you lost a street race/track race. I know I have a lot more important things to worry about then a stupid race on the street.

-Shing
Old 08-24-2000, 05:48 PM

let's just leave my ***** out of this, thank you very much.
Old 08-24-2000, 06:09 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Blah blah

Originally posted by Shingles
blah blah blah..
fact stock for stock

Guys/Gals, we have to realize that the Maxima is a great car but damn, it's not the best car in the world. Yeah you are proud of your car, yeah you love your car, but damn... facts are facts... physics will always be the same on this planet, in this solar system... Newtonian physics probably only stops being true in a place like the black hole. At any rate, there is no reason trying to argue against something that's fact.

YES there will always be a case or two or three in which cars are very strong, very fast, blah blah blah... hell I had a freaky CRX... being that it's capable of high 15's with simple bolt ons and being the heaviest of all CRXs as well.

Facts are facts... your ***** won't shrink or you won't be less of a man just b/c you lost a street race/track race. I know I have a lot more important things to worry about then a stupid race on the street.

-Shing
You have no proof that a 5spd 2000 will loose to a GTP when the 2000 has a higher trap speed than the GTP, and the 0-60 and 1/4 times are actually in the same area as the GTP and 2K 5SPD. 14.7 14-9 is what the 2k 5spd has proven. So we will see.

Old 08-24-2000, 06:10 PM

Damn this is outta hand!

If I knew we were going to begin a flame war I should have put this in another forum. Face it stock for stock the GTP is faster overall. Maybe not in the 1/2 race but definitly in the 1/4. Also Keven is right hp numbers are pretty much nothing if you don't have the traction. Now how a GTP with more boost running on street tires has more traction is behond me. Hell if I put down 280lb-ft and could get good launches with street tires Imagine what DR's do. Fact of the matter is he just wants a friendly race with someone in chicago with a max that's modded. Figure this out I was able to run 16.3 in my auto with just a 80mph trapspeed. Forget that I shifted 2-3 at 6500 (redline is 6000) my run before that was 16.357 at 82.2. Thats pretty low for that ET, now I believe I can run a 16 flat or 15's with my current mods.
Old 08-24-2000, 06:12 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Blah blah

Originally posted by doug
do you like your maxima... this is a side question, nothing to do with anything here.. just curious..

-Shing
[/B][/QUOTE]

He likes it only for a daily driver, but other than that if he would he would get rid of it asap. I persoanlly see alot of dislike for the maxima from him....and this what he said showed it again.

Old 08-24-2000, 06:13 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Damn this is outta hand!

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
If I knew we were going to begin a flame war I should have put this in another forum. Face it stock for stock the GTP is faster overall. Maybe not in the 1/2 race but definitly in the 1/4. Also Keven is right hp numbers are pretty much nothing if you don't have the traction. Now how a GTP with more boost running on street tires has more traction is behond me. Hell if I put down 280lb-ft and could get good launches with street tires Imagine what DR's do. Fact of the matter is he just wants a friendly race with someone in chicago with a max that's modded. Figure this out I was able to run 16.3 in my auto with just a 80mph trapspeed. Forget that I shifted 2-3 at 6500 (redline is 6000) my run before that was 16.357 at 82.2. Thats pretty low for that ET, now I believe I can run a 16 flat or 15's with my current mods.
You have no evidence of this or proof, we have yet to see a 5spd maxima 2k run a gtp stock vs stock, but the #'s show the MAXIMA might get the edge.

Old 08-24-2000, 06:30 PM
Ramon

Damn, there is more bench racing going on here then any other BBS i've seen in recient memory. Stop quoting magazine times and other peoples times and get out there and race.

-Ramon

Old 08-24-2000, 06:35 PM

Re: Blah blah

blah blah blah..
fact stock for stock

-Shing
Yup you did have a freaky CRX. How the hell did your car dyno 110hp with just I/H/E when the engine makes 108hp at the flywheel ? Now if you were to run a 00 GTP vs a 00 maxima 5spd both are stock. I believe the max would walk away. I'm ignoring the hp all together but if you compare torque to weight (like this makes a difference) I believe its around 13.2 for the GTP and 14.9 for the max. Now assuming both had the same gears the GTP would kill it. In reality the GTP has really tall gearing, its worse than our autos are! Since the max has more mechanical advantage it does make more torque amplification in 3rd, 4th, 5th, than the GTP does in 3rd and 4th. Therefore it has more torque driving the wheels so "theorectically" (sp?) it would accelerate faster. But there is not doubt to me that a stock 00 max auto vs 00 GTP would lose. There is just no way to make the auto competitive without shorter gearing or more power.
Old 08-24-2000, 08:07 PM

YOU HAVE NOW!---------------->

we have yet to see a 5spd maxima 2k run a gtp stock vs stock, but the #'s show the MAXIMA might get the edge.

Um, I have seen it. I did it, it was a 00 and from the guys body motions I could tell he was shifting....maybe not so well as some of you are sure to point out, but he was shifting. Also, this was before my first mod. He didn't do so well...I put maybe 2-3 cars on him by 70 when I quit. Now do you think that between 70 and 95 he would've caught back up? I dont, but Im sure there are some of you that do. He didn't do a fly-by hoping the race would continue, he stopped and accepted his defeat. He was racing, he burned the tires a bit from the line. So, if you haven't heard of a stock vs. stock race yet, now you have....at least a 0-70 race.

SteveChicagoSC----
What part of the city do you frequent? Or the burbs? Id love to line up with you.......Im not going to be scared of a car 3 tenths quicker than mine. I'll make you have to drive it right to beat me. Ive beaten cars faster than mine before and Id LOVE to do it in this particular situation.
Let me know.........

Later,

Old 08-24-2000, 08:11 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: YOU HAVE NOW!---------------->

Originally posted by GTPguy97
we have yet to see a 5spd maxima 2k run a gtp stock vs stock, but the #'s show the MAXIMA might get the edge.

Um, I have seen it. I did it, it was a 00 and from the guys body motions I could tell he was shifting....maybe not so well as some of you are sure to point out, but he was shifting. Also, this was before my first mod. He didn't do so well...I put maybe 2-3 cars on him by 70 when I quit. Now do you think that between 70 and 95 he would've caught back up? I dont, but Im sure there are some of you that do. He didn't do a fly-by hoping the race would continue, he stopped and accepted his defeat. He was racing, he burned the tires a bit from the line. So, if you haven't heard of a stock vs. stock race yet, now you have....at least a 0-70 race.

SteveChicagoSC----
What part of the city do you frequent? Or the burbs? Id love to line up with you.......Im not going to be scared of a car 3 tenths quicker than mine. I'll make you have to drive it right to beat me. Ive beaten cars faster than mine before and Id LOVE to do it in this particular situation.
Let me know.........

Later,

Of course it comes down to the driver. Still facts are facts, the times show it. The MAXIMA should walk a GTP in a 5spd form. I have a run in with a GTP when I had my YPIPE on my car. Of course my tranny was having severe problems and slipping, the next day it actually died. But, I ran him 3 times, and lets just say each time he walked me on my auto 2k, but it was a slow pull, not a fast. I had a passenger so did he. So that tells me a 5SPD should take him.

Old 08-24-2000, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: YOU HAVE NOW!---------------->

Of course it comes down to the driver. Still facts are facts, the times show it. The MAXIMA should walk a GTP in a 5spd form. I have a run in with a GTP when I had my YPIPE on my car. Of course my tranny was having severe problems and slipping, the next day it actually died. But, I ran him 3 times, and lets just say each time he walked me on my auto 2k, but it was a slow pull, not a fast. I had a passenger so did he. So that tells me a 5SPD should take him.

Strange how different people see different things and have different experiences based on the type of car they drive and stand behind, isn't it? Of course that proves how there can be substantial differences between the exact same model of car. Thats what makes actually running them so much fun....you never know exactly what to expect.

Well, its been nice talkin crap with you guys today...y'all seem really cool. Im takin the wife and kid to LA tomorrow to putz around for a few days, check out Disney...whoopie!
Are there any LA Max'ers on here, maybe I'll rent a GP GT (dont think they rent GTP's) and show you what the NA 3800 can do!

I'll be back on Monday to pick this thread up from the depths and see if I can stoke the flames again....or if it will be dead. RIP

I hope you guys dont mind if the competition pokes his head in every now and then to see whats up. Some of the other boards have become so lame lately, theres alot of posting on this one. Dont you guys have a kill room?

Is there a guy on here named Dave? Hes from KC and drives a black 95 5-speed I think. If he's on here Im surprised he hasn't jumped in on this one....he's all over the GP board. Now I know how he feels when he's singing the praises of the Max over there!

Later,
Old 08-24-2000, 08:42 PM

Ah, who cares? What kind of crappy racing is this anyway, how hard is it to make a car go fast in a straight line? Oooooh, strap a freakin rocket on your car and it will go fast. What kind of skill does it take to race a GTP at the drag strip? You don't even have to freakin' shift! Anyone can buy a GTP, sink some money in it, and make it go fast at the drag strip. It's not special, anyone with the desire could do the same damn thing, so call me unimpressed.

I'll take on any GTP out at the autox, that is if any of them are brave enough to actually turn their car while underway! Probably a bunch of redneck nascar loving fools! Course that's assuming they don't fall appart under the load.

<i>Yea, yea, but this is a boring disucssion anyway so I might as well **** people off...</i>
Old 08-24-2000, 08:48 PM
The missing moderator

Re: Re: Re: Blah blah

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
do you like your maxima... this is a side question, nothing to do with anything here.. just curious..

-Shing
He likes it only for a daily driver, but other than that if he would he would get rid of it asap. I persoanlly see alot of dislike for the maxima from him....and this what he said showed it again. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ehh thanks for reading my mind Russ and answer to the word for me. I didn't realize that you know what I thought.

Anyways... I like it for what it is, a family sedan. It's not a performance car. For that I'd go buy a 'stang, camaro, Z, RX7, blah blah blah.

-Shing
Old 08-24-2000, 08:52 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

And this is where I come in.......

GTPguy97-
Man I wish you were coming down to the Grand Prix Meet in September. I would love to run you at KCIR. Come on man, it's only a 10 hour drive. I think you would beat me, but you wouldn't get me by near as much as you believe.

You're right, everyones experience is different. Stock GTPs are absolutely no problem for me in KC, stock GTPs don't run 14s here in KC, and the 3.4-3.5 pullied GTPs are very close to me when it comes to performance. On the street it could go either way and at the track they always have the upper hand. Like I said before, the GTP guys at KCIR ice their intakes, run dryer hose straight to the TB, pull the headlight, and run race gas. It's not exactly a "street setup". At the GP meet in Sept I am gonna have ice my intake and take the racing more seriously. I might even powershift

Remember, getting a good launch in my Maxima is pretty impossible. I've got the mph, I just don't have the et. My 94mph run was in high humidity and 80 degree weather.

You really need to go to Jeff K's MegaMax website. He's got lots of scans and pics of his timeslips. His best mph was over 97mph and that's NA!!!! It just gives you something to think about.

Dave
Old 08-24-2000, 08:53 PM

Re: YOU HAVE NOW!---------------->

Originally posted by GTPguy97

SteveChicagoSC----
Let me know.........

Later,

I normally hang out in the Schaumburg area. I'll be running at ByronDragway on Sept. 17th. We can line em up there. As far as driving it right it's an auto so there not much to it.
Old 08-24-2000, 08:55 PM
The missing moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blah blah

-Shing
He likes it only for a daily driver, but other than that if he would he would get rid of it asap. I persoanlly see alot of dislike for the maxima from him....and this what he said showed it again.
Ehh thanks for reading my mind Russ and answer to the word for me. I didn't realize that you know what I thought.

Anyways... I like it for what it is, a family sedan. It's not a performance car. For that I'd go buy a 'stang, camaro, Z, RX7, blah blah blah.

-Shing [/B][/QUOTE]

You know the more I think about it the more I want to flame russ again. But I think I will refrain from doing so. But I must say, I love how he assumes things and just rolls on with it.

Anyhow... I'll say this again, I don't dislike the maxima... I like it for what it is A FAMILY SEDAN. How many times have I said that? Unlike some, I've realized that the Maxima has a big limitation in that it is a family sedan and was designed from the ground up as such. My comments have nothing to do about liking or disliking the maxima. But hell, even if I hate it, what's it matter? It's a car... a tool, a form of transportation, a toy to some... but none the less, it's still just a car. Will my liking or disliking a particular car change the way people view me? Well it's not supposed to but I guess to some people, they take it so personal when someone dislikes a car they drive or drove, that it does.... *sigh* why am I wasting bandwidth. Sorry...

-Shing
Old 08-24-2000, 09:01 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

About BryanH's 92 Maxima from what I remember:

Polished and bored out TB
300ZX cams
homemade intake
full 2.5" exhaust
straight thru muffler
gutted trunk
50hp NOS
advanced timing
backcut gears in the tranny

best et NA: 14.3@94mph
best et NOS: 13.8@102
174 fwhp and the same in torque

The thing about Bryan is that he can drive like no else I've seen. His powershifts are lightening fast. I've riden with him when he's banged the gears and it is absolutely amazing. This is why his ets were always awesome and why he was always breaking stuff. BTW, he's currently driving a 00 Celice GT-S with 50hp NOS that's running very low 13s@108mph and is consistently making big V8s look foolish. Last friday at KCIR, there were swarms of people around his car asking whats done.

Dave
Old 08-24-2000, 09:24 PM

Believe it or not That was the main reason why I bought the->

maxima over the GTP was Interior design. Everytime I see a GTP I still wonder if I made the right choice.
Old 08-24-2000, 10:04 PM

WOW !

I posted a reply to this topic on the Si board days ago, I can't believe how heated it's gotten! Not that it matters but my take on all this is...GTP vs 5spd 2k Max is completely a toss-up from what I've seen. I think the odds are a bit in favor of the GP, if they ran a few times I could see the GP winning 6 or 7 out of 10 races but the fact remains (at least in my mind) that the Max DOES stand a chance every time. I can live with that, I considered both before I bought and chose the Max for my own reasons, it's my personal preference.

What I really want to say is that it utterly impresses me (and should everyone else, including GTP owners) that my Max is as close as it is to the GTP...That Pontiac has almost 30% more displacement AND a blower, so what! I HAVE SEEN stock ones occasionally run slower than my stock times, modded ones were faster but not that much (with 1 exception). That tells me Nissan has got it right, Honda and Toyota both have similar engine configurations for their sedans (same size and similar output) but where are they in this dicussion...silence...NOWHERE, they are looking at both of our tail lights. With the GTP they can say the same thing we do, more displacement and SC...but where's their excuse for the Max? There isn't one...because the Max is just flat out superior and that's why other car owners including GTP owners respect us. The Max is and deserves to be commended for performing how it does with what it's got!

[Edited by sprung on 08-25-2000 at 08:23 AM]
Old 08-25-2000, 08:04 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blah blah

-Shing

-Shing
You know the more I think about it the more I want to flame russ again. But I think I will refrain from doing so. But I must say, I love how he assumes things and just rolls on with it.

Anyhow... I'll say this again, I don't dislike the maxima... I like it for what it is A FAMILY SEDAN. How many times have I said that? Unlike some, I've realized that the Maxima has a big limitation in that it is a family sedan and was designed from the ground up as such. My comments have nothing to do about liking or disliking the maxima. But hell, even if I hate it, what's it matter? It's a car... a tool, a form of transportation, a toy to some... but none the less, it's still just a car. Will my liking or disliking a particular car change the way people view me? Well it's not supposed to but I guess to some people, they take it so personal when someone dislikes a car they drive or drove, that it does.... *sigh* why am I wasting bandwidth. Sorry...

-Shing [/B][/QUOTE]

Trust me man, I know where your coming from on it not being a sports car. Heck, that was not its purpose in life, but hey we all made it to be like one with mods, etc.

Old 08-25-2000, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Let's get this post up over 1000 views!

C'mon people!

Jim
Old 08-25-2000, 08:43 PM

Who Cares? A stock Viper will beat a stock Hyundai Accent its all what you want to buy. I bought a Max so i didnt get lost in the sea of civics and Integras out there