General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Those with D2 coilovers, please click here

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 08:39 PM
The original VQ...

Those with D2 coilovers, please click here

I am about to buy D2 coilovers but im having some second thoughts.

I hear some people are having problems with sturts blowing and lots of noise problems.

Was this just one person or are many people not satisfied with their D2's

I need some help cause im debating wether i should buy d2's or just buy a spring shcok combo and spend $$ on other mods.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ditto, I too am very interested in getting these coilovers because of their appealing price and construction. I have been on sprint/agx combo for about 3 years and it seems like a spring/strut combo doesn't hold a candle to a coilover setup with pillowball mounts. After all these stories of blown struts im hoping the problems have been resolved for the upcoming GD on this product.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I had problems at first with noise. But I probably got one of the first batches to enter the U.S. I took apart the entire front suspension into pieces and reassembled using white lithium grease as lubricant between all the parts. Then I made custom gaskets to go between the aluminum hats and springs. I also ensured that there wasn't too much preload on the front coilovers per D2 instructions to avoid excessive movement of the suspension during turns

no more noise
Old 12-25-2004, 05:46 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Larrio
I had problems at first with noise. But I probably got one of the first batches to enter the U.S. I took apart the entire front suspension into pieces and reassembled using white lithium grease as lubricant between all the parts. Then I made custom gaskets to go between the aluminum hats and springs. I also ensured that there wasn't too much preload on the front coilovers per D2 instructions to avoid excessive movement of the suspension during turns

no more noise

sounds good but i am not to good at putting stuff together once i take it apart.... got anypics of the gaskets you made??
Old 12-25-2004, 04:55 PM

Yes, please post pics of the gaskets you made or tell us what kind of materials you used. On my sprint/agx combo I used some thin rubber matting that I had lying around the garage, seemed to eliminate noise in the rear.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:07 PM

How nice that you have to buy something brand new, completely disassemble it and rebuild it for it to work properly
Old 12-25-2004, 06:05 PM

I'm happy with mine but the only problem I have with them is that the brackets that hold the brake lines are really cheap and they kind of stick out so they make noises when I turn my wheels. I haven't brought it back to get it fixed yet but hopefully it can be. I had sprints/agx before and the d2s are definately more comfortable and no more hitting bumpstops. Also when you adjust the settings, it doesn't click or anything, it just turns so its hard to get an exact setting except by counting how many times you turned. They're pretty good for the price though since a regular spring/strut combo is almost the same price but it seems like they're not really up there with the JICs.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:56 PM

Im very interested in getting D2 Coilovers because I was planning to get Tokico Illuminas with Progress or Eibach springs which would be very close to the price of D2s. Anyone have a link to buy them from somewhere beside the group buy going on?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:31 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
How nice that you have to buy something brand new, completely disassemble it and rebuild it for it to work properly
I didn't say this was for everyone. So far i've been one of few who have had the need to do this. As I said already, mine was one of the very first batches to hit the U.S. shores. Imagine having to make 30+ coilovers all of a sudden, ya know?

as for the gaskets, I found a sheet of this polyurethrane/blk rubber looking material at home depot. I traced the stock gaskets but with a few mm more clearance (stock ones are too small in diameter) and cut them out
Old 12-25-2004, 10:45 PM

as for the gaskets, I found a sheet of this polyurethrane/blk rubber looking material at home depot. I traced the stock gaskets but with a few mm more clearance (stock ones are too small in diameter) and cut them out
Cool thanx for the info.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:35 AM
The original VQ...

were exactly did you put the gaskets? got a pic? i remeber having my sprints wrapped with a thin rbubber line all around to prevent noise..
Old 12-26-2004, 11:00 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
were exactly did you put the gaskets? got a pic? i remeber having my sprints wrapped with a thin rbubber line all around to prevent noise..
5th gen forum sticky:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&page=1&pp=30
problem assessed in post #32
pic from post #53
(gaskets 5 and 10)

the installation of these is crucial to how they perform later on. My sponsor has installed three sets already after mine with no problems. You just have to take your time and thoroughly ensure the placement and assembly of the coilovers, especially after being shipped from overseas
Old 12-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Conecarver

Those homemade gaskets look just like spring isolators used in most coilover setups. You might be able to buy high quality ones off the shelf from Energy Suspension or Suspension.com.

You're probably looking for style "A". And maybe the 3.6110 or 9.6116 assuming the D2 springs are 2-1/2" ID. Here's a link to their stock sizes if anybody wants to try.
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/sboots.html
Old 12-26-2004, 10:18 PM

Does anyone have any idea which spring rate is similar to Eibach/Progress springs with Illumina struts? TopElement posteds these combos:
8/5= +15%F, +0%R
9/6= +29%F, +20%R
10/7= +43%F, +40%R
11/8= +57%F, +60%R
12/9= +71%F, +80%R

I was thinking about going with 9/6.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:39 PM
VIP Maxima

i ordered 9/6, topelement said that 8/5 is the best ride quality with best handling but im afraid of bottoming out so i went with 9/6. better safe than sorry. i can bare with a harsh ride but i dont wanna fix oil pans and trannies !

Old 12-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
i ordered 9/6, topelement said that 8/5 is the best ride quality with best handling but im afraid of bottoming out so i went with 9/6. better safe than sorry. i can bare with a harsh ride but i dont wanna fix oil pans and trannies !
I'm going with 9/7. Might be a bit stiff on the rear, I'll wait and see. Kinda hard to pick, really. I'm guessing the rates that Top Element posted are somewhat generic and not specific to the D2. If it's way too stiff, I'll just but some different rear springs. From what I've heard, they are not that expensive.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:07 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
i think you'll be fine with bottoming out. The benefits of the d2 monotube design is that you can retain full suspension travel with lowering the vehicle given the adjustability of the coilovers.

The spring rates really don't determine the possibility of the car bottoming out.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:19 AM
The original VQ...

whats the spring rate of sprints?? ( cause thats what i had before)

I am thinking of going witha 8/6 spring rate due to a 12" sub in the back..

will i be ok with a 2" drop on a 8/6 combo or should i go 9/6?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

My driver side is still very noisy. I think the strut is blown since I have tighten and greased everything. I'm going to try to loosen the piston nut to see if I'm having it too tight. I don't see how that will prevent the monoball from moving.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:25 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
My driver side is still very noisy. I think the strut is blown since I have tighten and greased everything. I'm going to try to loosen the piston nut to see if I'm having it too tight. I don't see how that will prevent the monoball from moving.

I didnt think you could tighten the piston nut to tight???
i dont think loosing it will do anything, try the strut test someone posted above.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:14 AM
VIP Maxima

i think you'll be fine with bottoming out. The benefits of the d2 monotube design is that you can retain full suspension travel with lowering the vehicle given the adjustability of the coilovers.

The spring rates really determine the possibility of the car bottoming out.
so larrio you think id be fine with 8/5? or did u mean 9/6 ? cuz id love to go with 8/5 but im afraid

Old 12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I'm about 95% sure the strut is blown consider it was noise free for about 300 miles then all the sudden all hell broke loose.

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I didnt think you could tighten the piston nut to tight???
i dont think loosing it will do anything, try the strut test someone posted above.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:40 PM
VIP Maxima

damn are these poppin left and right? bad news man, bad news ?! i taught they were durable

Old 12-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

The spring rates really determine the possibility of the car bottoming out.
Larrio, what spring rates did you get with your D2's. Do you like the rates you have?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:47 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Those homemade gaskets look just like spring isolators used in most coilover setups. You might be able to buy high quality ones off the shelf from Energy Suspension or Suspension.com.

hey bj,

did you get these for your install?

There are like 4 or 5 of us in the chicagoland/wisconsin area that got them and are plannin on havin an install meet.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:02 PM

I didn't say this was for everyone. So far i've been one of few who have had the need to do this. As I said already, mine was one of the very first batches to hit the U.S. shores. Imagine having to make 30+ coilovers all of a sudden, ya know?

I have nothing against these coil overs..I was going to get some but I'm not modding my car anymore

But if I had spent almost 1g on anything for my car and it gave me problems like you guys are having I wouldnt be too happy. I'm glad you have a solution to the noise with the gaskets... and good thing your out there to let everyone know how to fix it but it shouldnt be coming from the factory already defective.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
The original VQ...

any one know the spring rate of sprint springs?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:22 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by slimer
hey bj,

did you get these for your install?

There are like 4 or 5 of us in the chicagoland/wisconsin area that got them and are plannin on havin an install meet.
Not D2. Bought Cattman/Progress as D2 hadn't been released yet. Running 12.5kg/8kg in warmer weather. I've become pretty suspension savy though and will try to make the meet if I can.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:26 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Larrio, what spring rates did you get with your D2's. Do you like the rates you have?
9/7 and yes I like the spring rates. I went from sprint/agx combo to the d2's, I prefer the coilovers.

Ant96GLE: yes, I agree they shouldn't be coming from the factory this way. However so far there are far more satisfied owners (who haven't posted) compared to the ones that are having problems... IMO.

98MikeXimaSE: you'll be fine with 8/5

1max2nv: loosening that top strut bolt with make the aluminum plate underneath the pillow ball mount clunk. Trust me, this happened twice to me already. Hence I put on red threadlocker to prevent this from happening again.

maxspeed96CT: yes, you can tighten it too tightly. When you do, it prevents the pillow ball mount to pivot when the suspension is turning. Therefore the spring twists itself along the rubber gaskets between the aluminum plates, ripping them apart, which produces popping noises (during turns) and clunking noises (during road bumps)
Old 12-28-2004, 03:48 PM

This might sound dumb but do you think in the next batch or so they will improve on them?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

9/7 and yes I like the spring rates.
Thanks, Larrio. I have 9/7 ordered for my D2's. I was thinking the rear might be a bit too stiff, but I trust your judgement.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:01 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Thanks, Larrio. I have 9/7 ordered for my D2's. I was thinking the rear might be a bit too stiff, but I trust your judgement.
I hit the track every so often, so I decided to go with the 9/7 spring rate. That was the default spring rate given to me by urbanimports when I bought the coilovers. Also, I have the rear dampening set fairly high because i've been too lazy to take off the rear seats to adjust them again. Even with the dampening set so high the rear end IMO still feels good. My back end combined with the rsb does not slide around at the track and is comfortable around the streets. Just make sure you don't take speed bumps head on, always go in at a very slight angle with the rear tires (if it doesn't make sense you'll know afterwards)

ant96gle: yes, i'm sure the next batches will be improved. 1. our feedback has probably been given to them by distributors 2. they can now expect to make and stock more because we've been buying up so many. Prior to this, those first 20 sets that were bought probably had to be rush produced and delivered
Old 12-28-2004, 08:22 PM
The original VQ...

thanks larrio, does any one know which spring rate is compareable to sprints?

Im debating on a wether to get a 9/7 or 8/6 spring rate?? or even a 8/7??

i want to drop about 2.2" with a 12" sub in the back

Help me choose