General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Obtaining car sponsorships and benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Obtaining car sponsorships and benefits?

I want to have my car sponsored but am not sure how to proceed. What are some of the benefits of having your car sponsored?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 AM

Getting sponsors is very hard, You have to go to many shows and make your car stand out. Plus most companies want new 04-05 cars, 350z and such. Its hard to get sponsors for a maxima. It also helps to have media coverage. Any pics of your car? Good luck.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:30 PM

As a motorcycle roadracer I can tell you the easiest way to get started is to get sponsorships from places that sell parts, service, etc. You can typically get them to sell you parts at cost (or close to it), and in turn they will hope that you send business their way. Once they start benefiting from their sponsorship of you, you can start asking for more - such as free parts, hard cash, etc. From there you can start going to more "out of industry" sponsors.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:21 AM
It's chrome alright...

The short answer is "win first, get sponsors later."

What have you done to your car? What have you won?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Easy....throw $20K at your car and I'm sure after that you can get maybe $5K in sponorship.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Im izz sexay

I know that I am sponsored through my audio system. I get $30/month but hell it always come when I need it. It's nothin fancy but turns heads on the road.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
Easy....throw $20K at your car and I'm sure after that you can get maybe $5K in sponorship.

I am at $15k right now and have not gotten one offer for a individual sponsorship. I only have a team sponsorship with SWA
Old 01-05-2005, 01:34 PM

You need to build contacts in the industry or have friends that are in the industry. Go to trade shows like SEMA or International auto salon, consumer shows like Nopi or Hot Import Nights. Talk to the marketing director or whoever is in charge of the company booth. Be ready with a portfolio and get them to take a walk to see your car in the show. You are not going to get $2K set of wheels if you aren't willing to have a large banner cross the side of your car. The top show car of 2004 got $80K from his title sponsor. Right now with your car, you should able to land partial sponsorships.

Originally Posted by chris'smax
I am at $15k right now and have not gotten one offer for a individual sponsorship. I only have a team sponsorship with SWA
Old 01-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Oh...best time to get sponsorship is beginning of the year. Most company have a set budget for the year. By the time SEMA rolls around, they already spend it all. My advice, plan ahead and don't be afraid to ask.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM

You need to build contacts in the industry or have friends that are in the industry. Go to trade shows like SEMA or International auto salon, consumer shows like Nopi or Hot Import Nights. Talk to the marketing director or whoever is in charge of the company booth. Be ready with a portfolio and get them to take a walk to see your car in the show. You are not going to get $2K set of wheels if you aren't willing to have a large banner cross the side of your car. The top show car of 2004 got $80K from his title sponsor. Right now with your car, you should able to land partial sponsorships.
Thanks for the advice. I guess sometimes i am not very confident when it comes to that kind of stuff. It would suck if you get the sponsors to look at your car and they tell you that your car is a POS and laugh in your face. Guess that is a bit extreme but you never know lol .
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 PM

I work for Falken and we have guys calling us up and approaching us at shows. And honestly they get a fake smile and a card telling them to call us up. To be honest the best way to go about us backing your car is to get together a really good proposal something different( you have to remember we look at about 25 of them a day) and have a lay out of what your car has. So if you have the mods to back up your car and a good proposal combined with a little luck on your side you will be cool.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 01-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Falken turned me down for sponsorship.

Originally Posted by Battle Max V2.0
I work for Falken and we have guys calling us up and approaching us at shows. And honestly they get a fake smile and a card telling them to call us up. To be honest the best way to go about us backing your car is to get together a really good proposal something different( you have to remember we look at about 25 of them a day) and have a lay out of what your car has. So if you have the mods to back up your car and a good proposal combined with a little luck on your side you will be cool.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 01-05-2005, 03:30 PM

sorry man must have been before i started....Yea i have a hard time convincing the guys here at falken that the Maxima has tuning possibilities. Im still working on them though...H ell try again, be persistent.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Should I use this link?

http://www.falkentire.com/team_sponship.html

sorry man must have been before i started....Yea i have a hard time convincing the guys here at falken that the Maxima has tuning possibilities. Im still working on them though...H ell try again, be persistent.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:46 PM

no email links barely get looked at. Mail the proposal directly to falken with ATTN: Sponsorship.

And Andy is right its hard to get a maxima with a full blown sponorship...we do sponsor a honda element van so i guess anything is possible....
Old 01-05-2005, 04:06 PM

And Andy is right its hard to get a maxima with a full blown sponorship...we do sponsor a honda element van so i guess anything is possible....
Its something NEW and FRESH... probably because 4th gens are already old and tired... unless you can really do something other than Stillen kit and EVO 5's and really wow people, I highly doubt it.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Its something NEW and FRESH... probably because 4th gens are already old and tired... unless you can really do something other than Stillen kit and EVO 5's and really wow people, I highly doubt it.
look for jdm max 4th gen to be a falken car soon...
Old 01-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM

He's one of the exceptions
Old 01-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TopElement
Honestly, there are very very few maximas worth sponsoring by large companies.
Hardly anyone builds a nice all-around Maxima. Often times people concentrate on going fast, or body styling which is often just plain tacky and ugly.
TET is in the process of changing that though.

Why don't you help me out with that . I consider my car a decent all around car
Old 01-05-2005, 07:10 PM

Your car looks great, and appears to be built with the same principles we focus on at TET. What kind of new stuff do you have in mind?
The car i'm reffering to is a 5th gen that's driven maybe 2 hours a month. When the decision was made to mod it, no corners were going to be cut. Every single aspect of the vehicle was going to be enhanced , not simply modified for the heck of it. Too many people ruin their cars by adding "mods" just to mod. :cough: Home depot people :cough:

Well this month is going to be a big step (Been saving for awhile ). I am going to install this month hopefully greddy emanage, 440cc RC injectors, Cattman or Hotshot headers(haven't decided), ATP boost actuated exhaust cuttout, and custom intercooler. Before the end of the summer i will drop in a custom built NRH tranny and up the boost to around 12psi.

My belief is that my car should go fast and handle well, but look good doing it. I guess you could say i am a believer in keeping the car looking good, but keeping it subtle and tastelful. I also frequent the tracks once every couple of months and try do shows as much as possible. I have just been extremely busy working on the car because in the last 4 months as i have put about $7k worth of stuff on the car.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:30 PM
aka UNCDooD

I want an all around built car. Every time I got to purchase bigger/better brakes I see something else I want more. so, TET, wanna give me a hand as well?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Honestly, there are very very few maximas worth sponsoring by large companies.
Hardly anyone builds a nice all-around Maxima. Often times people concentrate on going fast, or body styling which is often just plain tacky and ugly.
TET is in the process of changing that though.
What about me I have a unique maxima, lack a little in preformance but next winter that is going to change!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 PM

you bunch of mouching ***** f###as
Old 01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally Posted by chris'smax
you bunch of mouching ***** f###as

just figured he'd wanna get a little something going on the midatlantic section of the east coast. :dunno: i've been recruiting new maxima owners on the norm for the past 6 months or so. i'm trying to get something going down here.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 AM
mjg

keep the sponsorships if you ask me. I'm not down with littering my car with lame stickers .

It sounds like it's more for prestige then for a valuable discount anyways.

It reminds me of the guys that i see at the car stereo place. They throw an array of stickers on their car, and typically don't own a single mod they are "advertising". Let the whole world see how performance oriented you are? bla bla.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:26 PM

im looking for more sponsors, have one soo far, but they are in CA so its a bit too far. But they hook me up nicely
Old 01-08-2005, 04:13 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I know I've got two sponsors right now - and I hope to get more this year. They've been alright with me thus far
Old 02-06-2005, 03:18 AM

Good luck,

Jon
I have a 02 RSX widebody that made it's debut at the SEMA show this past year. I'll agree that you need a excellent proposal, a good plan for your car (remember..companies aren't looking for something that's already out there) and plan to spend hundreds of hours on emails, phone calls, etc to potential sponsorship companies. Also keep going if a company turns you down. I can't count how many turned me down at first but with persistance you can do it or go to other companies. I've had some big name companies turn me down and then later come up to me at the SEMA show and ask if they could do anything. Along with sponsorships comes the obligation of filling the contract. If you have a new car without any exposure many companies may provide a partial sponsorship to you. If anyone would like some help in this area or has any questions for me, please let me know and I'd be glad to help.
For those of you that are questioning my credentials here is a link to my cardomain page. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/728266
Old 02-08-2005, 05:02 PM

I work for Stewart Warner Performance, which has a wide range of cars that are sponsored for specific reasons, depending if it's a show car, drag race, autocross, etc. One of the main things companies look for is coverage - what can you do for them? They'll look for online and/or print coverage, which means you'll be busy working the show / race circuit. They want people that will promote the product so someone that is mature and professional will tend to have the edge over someone younger and less mature.

As far as the benefits to you, it'll vary depending on the company. We pay for travelling expenses & entry fees to the shows/races. Depending on the car, they may get featured in our booth or an associate company booth, which increases the chances of online/print coverage. Sponsored cars get discounts or free products, along with brand new products that aren't released to the public. Yada yada yada.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator

holy ****.. blast from the past phuong .. how you been man.. long time no see
Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by mjg
keep the sponsorships if you ask me. I'm not down with littering my car with lame stickers .

It sounds like it's more for prestige then for a valuable discount anyways.

It reminds me of the guys that i see at the car stereo place. They throw an array of stickers on their car, and typically don't own a single mod they are "advertising". Let the whole world see how performance oriented you are? bla bla.
Word! I would never put a decal on my car. I used to be like that but no more. Now, whenever I get a decal I slap in on the toolbox(The small sh!tty one). The Craftsman box stays clean and pure.

I almost got scammed by a company claiming to want to sponsor me. They wanted $75 bucks to give to some charity and to pay for shipping of the contract. It was SportCompactPro. I was leary and decided to drop it.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ûñç£è §Þ®ïñ†ý
holy ****.. blast from the past phuong .. how you been man.. long time no see
I'm getting back into the car scene so you may spot me at Etown or any of the local events once again =)