General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

nissan dealer gave false readings on diagnositc test

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 07:16 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

nissan dealer gave false readings on diagnositc test

last week i took my car into serramonte nissan to get a diagnostic done to find out why my speedometer was not working. i paid them $130 and they got back to me saying that i needed a new speedo head inside my guage cluster and wanted to charge me another $400 for the job....i told them that that was not the problem because i had already swapped in a working guage cluster from a friends car and that it did not change anything.

today i took the car down to a shop here in SF, they looked it over and found a problem with the circuit between the speed sensor and the cluster, they fixed it up and reconnected everything and now it works.

i paid nissan $130 to find out the problem and they were not even close. is there anything i can do to get my money back or is that the price i pay for going to a dealer?

ontop of all the **** the dealer gave me, when they said they wanted to replace the speedo head for $400 i asked them that if for $400 they would guarantee the problem would be fixed and they flat out said "no."
Old 01-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I feel your pain , when my dropping resistor went bad those scums wanted to replace my shift solenoids for $700 !!! and all i needed was a mere $40 part which can be swaped out in 5 minutes.

on top of that parts guy wanted to sell me set of shif solenoids for $400 !!! And he knew very well that Nissan came out with new repair kit for shift solenoids with retail price od $140 !!! I hope he burns in hell !!!

Knowledge is power !!!!

Nick.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:20 AM

In case you didn't notice, Nissan Sells Bull****!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Old Maxima Legend

well im sure they are doing the best they can, it does suck when they are wrong while you are paying big daddy bucks ! at least let them know how you feel !
Old 01-11-2005, 02:20 AM

I think the problem with the dealership is they charge a flat rate "by the book." Usually in life we get paid for a job well-done, not when we guess at what might be. I don't think you can get your money back, ever notice you have to sign the work order when you bring your car in?

At minimum, you should tell the service manager you went to another dealership and got the problem fixed, and that their diag. was WRONG. Don't get mad, just let the mgr. know that in your case they were incompetent. Check back in a year or two and see if they're still in business.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:38 AM
SLOW

They'll still be in business. All the poor sap soccer moms and such who don't know any better will continue paying $500 for a $5 fix because they don't have the ability or desire to diagnose problems themselves. They trust what the dealer has to say and pay blindly for services they don't need. This is why it is lunacy to go to the dealer for anything but warranty work.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
They'll still be in business. All the poor sap soccer moms and such who don't know any better will continue paying $500 for a $5 fix because they don't have the ability or desire to diagnose problems themselves. They trust what the dealer has to say and pay blindly for services they don't need. This is why it is lunacy to go to the dealer for anything but warranty work.

i hate dealers!

to bad my best friend is a car dealer...

i would call them and ask them to refund the bad diag. if the manager says no... call the owner and complain to him, they usually do not want to deal with you and just give it back.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:55 AM

i think service dept managers get incintives based on gross profit dollars and how much they write up. i know toyota service dept are like that
Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 AM

You can't blame Nissan for it since dealership are franchised. So each dealer are different. I have two Nissan dealer in Albuquerque. One where I bought my car from at Melloy Nissan and i always take my car there cuz they have good service dept and no non sense bull. On the other dealership, Reliable Nissan, they are a big rip-off and when I went there since it was closer to my work just to get something fix, they quoted me this X amount of money, I knew it didn't sound right, so i told them I'll think about it. I called Melloy Nissan, they were charging a lot less so i was like WTF. So you see, all dealership has a different attitude about service.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:44 AM

So, was it a connection or something that came loose or did they have to replace a part inside of there?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 PM

the nissan dealership by me is on my ****list
Old 01-13-2005, 09:43 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by motocross416
So, was it a connection or something that came loose or did they have to replace a part inside of there?

just a wireing problem, its really hard to explain, but what nissan told me was FAR from the actual problem.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Sports Button FTW

i sometimes think and hope nissan owners are not the ONLY owners taht hate going to their dealers and think so bad of their dealers....

BTW, i hate nissan and i hope they all go to h3ll too, i got burnt on one too many situations...
Old 01-14-2005, 10:17 PM

Man, what a crappy technician who diagnosed the vehicle, HE SHOULD ROT IN H3LL.
NOT THE DEALERSHIP or the advisor who called you up on that, simply misinformed by a B-Tech probably.

I hate to say it, but people from NYC-NJ area .org members told me some people on the .org are biased against dealerships in general. I didn't realize that a compilation of bad stories from those that experienced it, and those who just read about it, judge solely on that ??

My dealership has helped several .org members, and the NISSAN community in general.
I've done engines, trannies, mounts, struts, sensors, even on weekends after work on Sat nite into Sunday, I diagnose with my own CONSULT II.
I have ASIST on my laptop now with ASIST.net, I have nnanet remote access so I can pull any page from an ESM.

Just my .02
Old 01-15-2005, 07:01 AM

I hate just about every Nissan Dealership in the Houston Area. I hate even going in there to buy parts, you freaking have to show them on the screen, because they have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:30 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

nismo_star, the service manager who called me and whos team was working on my car was totally clueless too. when he told me what the tech recomended i told him "that cna not be the problem, i have already tested it, its something else." he then just loooked at me, then at the paper and repeated "well the tech said to do this."

spanishrice: i know exactly what you mean, when ever i go in for a part i tell them what i need ex. (pcv valve for 96 max) they will just look at me like "huh?" then as for my vin number and find the stock number and get the part. it gives me the impression they dont know jack **** about the parts they are selling or the cars theya re selling them for, they jsut know how to find an inventory listing and grap the item off the shelf.

i dont judge all nissan dealers, or nissan as a whole solely on my experiences with this one dealership. this is the only dealer close to me and when i refere to nissan in my above posts i am speaking about this one dealer that i always have bad experiences with.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dealers suck
Old 01-15-2005, 04:15 PM

96stillen max: yeah, but I hate getting a bad rap when I work for a reputable dealership, since I've started working there in October of 04, and helping out the nissan community in general, we've turned around quite a # of people.
They come in for parts, even questions of their car, a few even have maintenance performed here. I do help on the side when I can, but it's hard for me to see trash talk about dealerships in general. I guess if every dealership had someone helpful from a Nissan Enthusiast forum, I guess things would be better, but for now there will be ignorant service reps/managers/techs. I try really hard to inform and educate a consumer or even a .org member on whats going on with their cars, I'd rather show them whats wrong, and try to fix it, instead of having the advisor who is charge of my team, just tell a customer they need to fix this and that.
I guess I just wanted to give a glimmer of hope somewhat, and not to blame a dealership, we're all after all human.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:58 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

I took my wife's '95 Grand Prix to 3 different Pontiac dealers to try to diagnose an intermittent missing cylinder. The '95 does not have OBD-II or any way to watch the check-engine light to read trouble codes.

Each time I paid $80 for a 'computer diagnostic' and all they did was tell me 'Replace #4 injector'.

First diagnostic - "Replace #4 injector" - Replaced injector with Autozone part- didn't fix it
Second diagnostic - "Replace #4 injector" - Took injector back to autozone - didn't fix it
Third diagnostic - "Replace #4 injector" - Installed Pontiac injector - didn't fix it
Fourth diagnostic - Replace #4 injector"....

"I've told you the history on this car - I have replace that injector 3 times and that's not the problem. Are you reeally gonna take my money knowing that the advice you are giving me is incorrect?" (they did)

I pulled the wiring harness apart and found a loose wire in the multiplug under the coil pack. Recrimped the connection (free) and that fixed it for good.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:59 PM

jsut had to buy a belt tensioner screw cause i snapped my old one, called 3 places and they told me they dotn sell that piece seperately or they cant find it went to george harte nissan in west haven ct the parts guy there (forgot his name) went out of his way to help me look for the part, found it and told me he can order it and it would take 2 days, i was so please with his service so i jsut ended up buyign the whole assembly anyways. first time i had any good experience w/ a dealer. you know where i will be going for my other parts
Old 01-16-2005, 07:50 PM

dealership service centers' people are mostly scum. I am yet to hear a good story, thats what I base my opinion on. If you do have to go to one, pay with a credit card, then dispute the charges if anything.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:53 PM

If you think the diagnosis is wrong, you should talk to the service managers. If they still won't budge, ask for the owner's info. Sheehey Nissan, in Manassas, VA wouldn't give me money back for a wrong brake caliper diagnosis. Nissan NA heard about it because I called them and I asked for the owner info. When I did that I was sent the General Manager of the dealer. I figure, he or she is the one hired to take care of these issues and the owner should never hear complaints. Otherwise the GM isn't doing their job. Complain to the right person diplomaticaly and you might get your way... considering a bad diagnosis. The service people will most likely stand behind their people. But you don't.