General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can't we just get suspension done at places like Meineke and stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 08:05 AM

All these talks about having to modify the parts to fit the Maxima and Tokikio's lasting about 10,000 miles make me not want to invest 700,800 in suspension. How about those national chains like Meinkeke or other stores. I dont know what kind of brands and parts they use, but can't I just take the car there to get replacement shocks and springs? I have 75,000 miles in my 98SE and I think the shocks are worn out. I'm not into performance suspension setup and stuff, although I would like to lower the car for aesthetic performance.
Old 10-06-2000, 08:09 AM
The missing moderator

you can't get "lowering" springs from those places... you can get some struts replaced. But keep in mind, you get "lowering" springs and it will wear out your struts a lot faster if they are not up to task.

At any rate... I wouldn't use Monroe Sensatrack or what not... if you must, get some KYB OEM replacements.

-Shing
Old 10-06-2000, 10:26 AM

some of those places...

won't deal with lowering springs. this mechanic i know that has always worked on my families cars absolutely would not install lowering springs for my car. he said it would destroy the car, put stress on every part of the car, etc. etc... basically telling me not to do it.

oh yeah, this was funny. i called the dealership to see if they would do it just for fun. they were like "springs"...5 minute pause... "let me transfer you to parts dept." they didn't know what i was talking about and so they just tried to transfer me.

enough rambling...get a performance shop to lower your car.
Old 10-06-2000, 10:26 AM

some of those places...

won't deal with lowering springs. this mechanic i know that has always worked on my families cars absolutely would not install lowering springs for my car. he said it would destroy the car, put stress on every part of the car, etc. etc... basically telling me not to do it.

oh yeah, this was funny. i called the dealership to see if they would do it just for fun. they were like "springs"...5 minute pause... "let me transfer you to parts dept." they didn't know what i was talking about and so they just tried to transfer me.

enough rambling...get a performance shop to lower your car.
Old 10-06-2000, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

I wouldn't trust those guys period n/m

sadf
Old 10-06-2000, 11:48 AM

Take it to a independent shop

Don't take it to these chains. They'll have some incompetent kid work on your car and screw everything up.

When I had my wheel alignment done at a Firestone store, they popped one my springs out from the seat. I dunno how they did it, but they said they weren't responsible. I had to take the suspension apart and reseat the spring again myself later on.

For major work on your car (like suspension), just go to an independent shop and get the work done. They will probably be more honest to you (since they don't work on commission like the people at Midas) and give you a better price.