General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Molding Body Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Molding Body Kits

I was thinking about molding a bodykit on my max, but have no idea on how much it will cost. if anybody has any ideas or have any experience with this please contribute. Another question was that if the mold breaks in the future is it expensive to get it repaired??
Old 02-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Molding a body kit to your car isn't a good idea. It's will crack over time because the two surfaces are of different materials which will expand and contract at different rates with temp. changes. That will cause stress at the point where they are joined together and crack right along the seam.

You can mold a Stillen lip to the front bumper, but you can't mold Urathayne or Fiberglass to metal, thats where problems start.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Molding a body kit to your car isn't a good idea. It's will crack over time because the two surfaces are of different materials which will expand and contract at different rates with temp. changes. That will cause stress at the point where they are joined together and crack right along the seam.

You can mold a Stillen lip to the front bumper, but you can't mold Urathayne or Fiberglass to metal, thats where problems start.
it will crack , unless you plan to never drive the car and pull it on a trailer I wouldn't mold a bodykit.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:01 AM

You'd be surprised at how durable a molded kit can be. I don't recommend it simply because it's expensive and repairs will suck. But my wife's Integra has the wing, rear bumper, and side skirts molded for 2 years now. And it is a daily driver. No cracking at all. Integras have much smaller bumpers than Maximas though, that may have something to do with it.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
You'd be surprised at how durable a molded kit can be. I don't recommend it simply because it's expensive and repairs will suck. But my wife's Integra has the wing, rear bumper, and side skirts molded for 2 years now. And it is a daily driver. No cracking at all. Integras have much smaller bumpers than Maximas though, that may have something to do with it.
Must be a very good molding most people i talked to have had problems. Did find enough paint mask material?