General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

1988 Maxima Stalls On Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1988 Maxima Stalls On Start

Well, this just happened right now when I was heading home, was lucky that it was like 2 blocks away from my house. Here's the problem...

Going to be honest, I've gotten this car like 2 weeks ago, and was bored and trying to see what it was capable of, not to harsh though... Empty streets, etc... so what they hey?

Did a simple little burn out with emergancy break on, for no more than 1 second, was going good, then all of sudden, the engine just stalls while I was turning onto my street, so I try to turn it on, it turns on, but the engine stalls right away.

So I turn it on, and I give it gas, and I keep pushing down the gas all the way, and it doesn't want to rev at all, then it will eventually start reving high, but... I did a quick switch to drive, and that's how I made it down my 2 blocks, but I was pressing the gas all the way, and it only stayed around 1500-2000RPMS and didn't exceed that.

Car turns on, but quickly stalls... you give it some gas, it'll keep the engine going, but once you let go of the gas, the engine stalls, but when I mean let go of the gas, I mean... All the way down... it's like you have to keep stomping on the gas, just to keep the car on.

What could this be?...
Old 02-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Blown

make sure the plug is still on your MAF?

Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer
Well, this just happened right now when I was heading home, was lucky that it was like 2 blocks away from my house. Here's the problem...

Going to be honest, I've gotten this car like 2 weeks ago, and was bored and trying to see what it was capable of, not to harsh though... Empty streets, etc... so what they hey?

Did a simple little burn out with emergancy break on, for no more than 1 second, was going good, then all of sudden, the engine just stalls while I was turning onto my street, so I try to turn it on, it turns on, but the engine stalls right away.

So I turn it on, and I give it gas, and I keep pushing down the gas all the way, and it doesn't want to rev at all, then it will eventually start reving high, but... I did a quick switch to drive, and that's how I made it down my 2 blocks, but I was pressing the gas all the way, and it only stayed around 1500-2000RPMS and didn't exceed that.

Car turns on, but quickly stalls... you give it some gas, it'll keep the engine going, but once you let go of the gas, the engine stalls, but when I mean let go of the gas, I mean... All the way down... it's like you have to keep stomping on the gas, just to keep the car on.

What could this be?...
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Yup, sounds like the MAF died.

Check the ECU for codes.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Yup, sounds like the MAF died.

Check the ECU for codes.
Where is this located and how do I do this? I'm a car noobie...
Thanks for the replys though!
Old 02-15-2005, 03:34 PM

You need to remove the passenger seat to check the codes. Check the 1st and 2nd gen forum it tells you how somewhere there. Also a good investment would be a chiltons or haynes manual, it's only like $15 or $20 bucks and has a bunch of info on repairing stuff.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im at work but yeah, the MAF.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, I've looked in the 1st-2nd Generation forum, but no luck how to remove the passenger side door. Also, how much does it usually cost to replace the MAF if it's that, and where is it located?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for double post, but now I try to turn it out, it starts up to 1500RPMS, and even if you stomp on the gas, it doesn't want to go at all, it's like it cranks up, but the gas isn't feeding into the engine, someone also told me it could be the fuel pump, or the fuel injectors, or is it just the MAF?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 PM

Id say try the MAF first you can get one from the junkyard for pretty cheap. Those other items could also cause it. But the symptoms seem to go towards the MAF. When I first read your thread thats what came to mind first.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I looked at that earlier in the day, and the filter in there was so old, it was literally falling apart... it's also missing 2 screws to the cover... but another newb question... how could just that make the car not start at all?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Blown

Ok, I've looked in the 1st-2nd Generation forum, but no luck how to remove the passenger side door. Also, how much does it usually cost to replace the MAF if it's that, and where is it located?
why are you trying to take off the door? The ECU is under the passenger side seat....move the seat all the way back, take out the two screws holding it down in the front and the one in the back (you will need a very short phillips head for this), the **** the ecu to the side so you can see the lights and screw and check codes from there. You really need to pick up a service manual so you will know how to do this and what the codes mean. Also check at your dealership to see if you injector recall has been done (all second gens had an injector recall)
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh sorry, I ment seat... I doubt the injector recall has been done... how much does it cost when you take it in? That's even if I get it started.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Blown

Oh sorry, I ment seat... I doubt the injector recall has been done... how much does it cost when you take it in? That's even if I get it started.
its free if it has not been done....you can call 1-800-NISSAN1 , give them your VIN and they can tell you if it has been done or not....if not then the service is free to you
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I removed the air filter that was in there, and one of the little hoses to the engine was broken... so I cut it and replaced it. It actually started with the Air Filter off, and it idle at 1500RPMS but was still shaking to die, I turned the car off... and got bored so I was flushing the radiator because it was well needed, but now I think from trying to start it on and on, I drained the battery because all the starter does is click, and doesn't even want to start it now. Could it be the battery for that, or did I mess up the starter as well?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 PM

id bet its ur MAF, the whole thing wit the filter, if ur busted maf is reading incorrectly and u remove the filter it could be telling ur ecu to screw the ignition due to too much air.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 30585
id bet its ur MAF, the whole thing wit the filter, if ur busted maf is reading incorrectly and u remove the filter it could be telling ur ecu to screw the ignition due to too much air.
It was actually the battery on that, It sucked that all the locks are power and the doors all locked, and the battery dieing. Lol. The right door handle wasn't bolt on all the way, because I hadn't done that because I had it taken to a lock smith to make a key. We had to pry that to the side so we can manual unlock the door and open the door as well.

I also suddenly lost my Radiator cap... I think my friend put it on wrong, and when I was reving the car to keep it on, it flew off, and no luck finding it, so I got buy a new one. Right now, I'm just worried about getting the car running. Once that is done, I'll probably won't drive it for awhile, until I get the Tranny, Radiator, Oil flushed. New Oil Filter... etc. Probably clean the spark plugs as well.

The only thing that confuses me, There is so many damn wires, and plugs in the damn engine bay. It's all unorganized.

Also another problem I've needed to ask... The lights are messed up for some reason, you put the lights on, they don't even work... you have to put the high beams(sp) on, and even though you are using them, they are still half as bright as how regular low beams would be on a car. Any idea on this?

Someone also brought up, it could be the spark plugs... So I've heard 4 diffrent things, It could be the fuel injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs, or the MAF. Also... What the hell is the MAF? or the part I should be worry about? Is it just that big black box that holds the filter, or is it something else...?

Thanks for all the replys though...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for double post once again...
Is this what I need?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 PM

that is a maf, dont know if its urs though. in all honesty before u continue driving the car, i would do the air filter, oil change, spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor capr and rotor, radiator flush, new radiator cap (tt 300zx) and definately the brakes. i might be forgetting some other things, im sur ethe other orgers will pitch in
Old 02-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car was dead for 6 months till I bought it off a friend for $400 and brought it back to life. The brakes are fine, I need to do all the other goodies though. I also need to buy a new PS Hose because it's leaking... It sucks driving around with no PS. I also need to get a AC Blower, no A/C or Heater...

When I turn the A/C on... all I get is a loud SCREACH, and if I'm not driving, it'll stall the engine... and the fans just spin. Don't know what that is...

I'm not really worried about the A/C though, just getting the engine running stable. I'll try to borrow my neighbor's digital camera, and I'll take some pictures of it and post it.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone else think otherwise?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Blown

Pull your ecu codes before you ask anymore questions....go buy a haynes manual and that will outline the process of pulling the codes and it will also tell you what the code means.

Anyone else think otherwise?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well everyone, for the ones that said it was the MAF, were right...
This was the problem, I guess it happened when I hit a bump or braking to hard.

It had came loose from the other side, but fixed that problem. Engine Idles juts fine now, but will do even better once I get a new Air Filter. I drove it 100 miles today with no problems, just a few shakes for the first 2 miles, then it stopped.

Thanks for all the help... I'll be posting another problem I have with my car but in the 1st/2nd generation forum, so if you think you can help me out... please go take a look. Thanks once again.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Sports Button FTW

dude, i swear to god i was going to tell you to check your intake setup. This has happened to me on a few occassions with boost where i'm pushing so much power it pops the intake open, and even once a long time ago i hit a big bump and i had the stillen filter and i think the weight popped the intake open as well. Dam i was this close to rescuing the day