General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Are most maxima enthusiasts over-expectant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 10:10 PM

what i mean by this is, when ppl mod their car i hear them complain about how much noise it makes, or how rough the ride is. Now the people that say that, is this your first car that youve modded? Or are you expecting too much.

When you put an exhaust on .. lets take the greddy as an example... now alot of people who get this complain about the drone, i personally dont feel that it is loud at all.

And about Lowering your car and putting on 18's...
Yes this makes the car look good, but people do this then complain - oh the ride is too bumpy, etc etc...

Now what i am curious as to, is that are you expecting the modifications you do to your car not to effect it in anyway? Ive become weary about people complaining about this and that, Granted this is a Forum about modding your car and people are entitled to their opinions, but did you expect that modding your car would come without consequences?

and while ive decided to get on my soap box;

I think the maxima is a great car for what it is, it adapts to the modifications people throw at it pretty well...

BUT

contrary to how other people feel I feel that it is not the End all vehicle in the world.

please share your comments.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:18 PM

Someone on crack???
Old 04-30-2001, 10:28 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

iono, judging from a lot of posts, id say that there are plenty of yuppies here that have never been in a modded 92 civic hatchback. wooo that thing is quick, but not without it's hassles. main thing to learn is that since it's not from the factory, you may have the speed to match an m5, but dont expect it to be just as solid.

haha.... maxima match an m5.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaZero
iono, judging from a lot of posts, id say that there are plenty of yuppies here that have never been in a modded 92 civic hatchback. wooo that thing is quick, but not without it's hassles. main thing to learn is that since it's not from the factory, you may have the speed to match an m5, but dont expect it to be just as solid.

haha.... maxima match an m5.
Wow, your sig pic is awesome dude, I wish the 2K+ Max's looked as good as the one in your pic.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:56 AM
is invisible

Ha...

You're seeing the light...time for that BMW dude.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:01 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

neel's been hanging around with his bimmer buddies to long

i agree with much of what you said neel...i just work with what i got...my max is won't be my ultimate project car...

....and stop complaining!
Old 05-01-2001, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Damn I just love it when Neel gets on his Soapbox.. seems like thats the only time the man makes sense .. neel maybe you need Soapbox shoes...
Old 05-01-2001, 07:41 AM

MaximaZero, is that a photoshopped picture of the Maxima from like a newspaper? If it is, good job.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

heh. you get what is advertised. the Max isn't supposed to be a BMW. hell, it's FWD, for one. I got my max cuz it's fun to drive and has what I want as far as room and power. Yeah I'll mod it a bit, hopefully auto-cross, but I ca't afford a BMW even if I wanted one. I'd rather just get a Z in that case. v_v

lime
Old 05-01-2001, 08:11 AM

S70 and V70 Turbo

I used to drive both cars and I guess they should drive one of these cars from the dealership and see how they hate the ride of their lowered Max's then. I think even when the Max is lowered it rides softer than these two cars and let's not get into the squeaking noise that comes from the rear door on the V70 from riding so hard. A royal pain in the u know what!!
Old 05-01-2001, 08:11 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

a Jap car is a Jap car is a Jap car...

we all have own own reasons as to how we ended up with a Max, and for 'most' of us...it's not the ultimate project car, we just mod it as we see fit. I'm learning as I go along that some mods have their pros/cons. Some mods aren't practical, deal with the problems.. For example, you want an s/c and you're an everyday driver... deal with paying $2/gallon with 250 miles tops for a full tank (and that's a very generous figure). Wanna play? gotta pay...hehehe

PS- lovin' ur soapbox Neelio ...j/k

Originally posted by Chris91SE
neel's been hanging around with his bimmer buddies to long ..i agree with much of what you said neel...i just work with what i got...my max is won't be my ultimate project car..and stop complaining!
Old 05-01-2001, 08:59 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

A modded Maxima doesn't need to have big wheels and loud exhausts to perform. I've had the loud exhaust and big wheels and I didn't like it so I got rid of them.

Here's my point. The firing order of the VQ makes for some nasty resonating and drone in the mid 2000 rpm range whe nteamed with a y-pipe. I didn't like it because I don't want that "hey look at me and hear my muffler" image. The drone is downright nuts if it's held at a steady rpm. I put my stock muffler back on and my ets didn't change AT ALL. I actually gained mphs!!! If I drove I sports coupe, I wouldn't have any problem running a louder exhaust, but this is a sedan.

Intakes. I liked the deep growl of the intake for about 1 year. Then it got annoying. I wanted something less noisy, therefore I went with the OSCAI (Poorman's CAI). No difference in power as shown on the dyno and track.

Wheels. I loved the look of my 17s in anthracite, but they rode bad, straightline traction sucked, all weather driving was impossible, and they needed to be removed for track use. I went with some lightweight 16s on all season performance tires and I swear my car corners just as good and my straightline traction as increased dramatically. No more changing out the rims for track or season use. My car also rides much much better.

Overall, a modded Maxima can be quick and quiet. Too many people associate power with noise. Sometimes this is true, sometimes it's not. I'm not saying my Maxima is completely quiet and rides like stock, but it is very bareable and most people have no idea that it's got a full suspension and exhaust system.

Dave
Old 05-01-2001, 09:14 AM

I guess some people want to see and feel only positive sides of modding, not bad. i mean you want more power you get exhaust and stuff like that but you gotta sacrifice the noise level for performance. Same with suspension and many other mods.
I got sick of my stock suspension and decided to lower it. Actually my car is being lowered as we speak. I know the ride won't be as comfy but hey, you can't have everything at once.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
I guess some people want to see and feel only positive sides of modding, not bad. i mean you want more power you get exhaust and stuff like that but you gotta sacrifice the noise level for performance. Same with suspension and many other mods.
I got sick of my stock suspension and decided to lower it. Actually my car is being lowered as we speak. I know the ride won't be as comfy but hey, you can't have everything at once.

Just my opinion.
Emax's car is dropped and I was surprised at the ride. It definitely doesn't feel like a Vette. Let me know how you rate yours when it is done.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by deezo

Emax's car is dropped and I was surprised at the ride. It definely doesn't feel like a Vette. Let me know how you rate yours when it is done.
Yeah i loved Ethan's suspension, I hope my feels just like that. I'll let you know, tonight probably.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dave B has it right. Too many knuckleheads bow to the power of the rice marketing machines. INTELLIGENT mods yield results w/o too much ride or noise penalties.

Rice boy or bonehead mods often result in NO hp, alot of noise and a harsh ride.

Note: Just because it's expensive and shiny, doesn't mean it's the best thing for your car.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:15 AM

Re: a Jap car is a Jap car is a Jap car...

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
we all have own own reasons as to how we ended up with a Max, and for 'most' of us...it's not the ultimate project car, we just mod it as we see fit. I'm learning as I go along that some mods have their pros/cons. Some mods aren't practical, deal with the problems.. For example, you want an s/c and you're an everyday driver... deal with paying $2/gallon with 250 miles tops for a full tank (and that's a very generous figure). Wanna play? gotta pay...hehehe

PS- lovin' ur soapbox Neelio ...j/k

If I push my car hard I still get about 300 miles per tank and I still have a couple of gallons left over.

Andy good luck with the new suspension.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: a Jap car is a Jap car is a Jap car...

Originally posted by emax95

Andy good luck with the new suspension.
Thanks man, how's your car doing?
Old 05-01-2001, 10:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: a Jap car is a Jap car is a Jap car...

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Thanks man, how's your car doing?

It's just Chillin looken all fine in the driveway, it's saying drive me, LOL. I have been performing weird tests on it and sheit. My new Clutch should be installed in a few days.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: a Jap car is a Jap car is a Jap car...

Originally posted by emax95

It's just Chillin looken all fine in the driveway, it's saying drive me, LOL. I have been performing weird tests on it and sheit. My new Clutch should be installed in a few days.
Hope there's nothing else wrong with it Xept clutch. You should come to RI mini-meet so we can take it for another spin on a highway
Old 05-01-2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Too many knuckleheads..........
Dude, you are starting to sound like me.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:26 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

i agree with Neel

with the false high expectations of the people who have no experience with modifying their car. but i can't blame them for voicing how they feel on the board. alot of us are old blood, some of us stretch back to the previous maxima.org and we may get tired of all teh same posts, like how do i do the signal and corner re-wire, where can i get a front strutbar, can someone do the rear tailight conversion, etc....but we were all like that in the beginning. certain things we can only learn for ourselvs.. and when we don't gt something we expected we complain..the older guys who are wiser, with more mod experience don't run into too much of this, but all the newbies who are trying to learn something still have to go through all the learning, and we shouldn't bear down on them.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:18 PM

Old 05-02-2001, 06:10 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Neel likes to bear down.