General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

EZ-Pass

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:26 AM

EZ-Pass

Any of you guys got ezpass? I was readin on the website that the 02-03 maxes require that external shyt. I got it today and i see that it goes over your front license plate, some ugly long black bar too. i dont have a front license plate and ill be damned if im gonna open up the screw holes for an ezpass. My question is do you guys have the windsheild one and does it work fine for you?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:31 AM

I have a 2003 and I have an internal one...why would you need an outside one?
that makes no sence since every car can have the inside one.

Where on their site did you see that?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Ohh...as of 01/03 they require outside tags...that's
I got mine over a year ago so I have the internal one.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:49 AM
I need a truck

I got mine when they first came out.

The reason for the external tags is because they don't want people switching them between cars.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

I have I-pass here in Chicago (same transponders as your ez-pass in NY area) and it works just fine from the inside on the windshield. Don't drill any holes on your car!!
Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 AM

I think some cars require external tags becasue certain windsheilds "block" the signal. However, we have internal tags in our 2000 I30 and 2003 Murano without any problems.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:56 AM

There are metal sunblocking elements in the windshields, you can easily see these when the windshield has a purple hue to it. A lot of GM, s class mercedes, 7 series bmw have it, and the old 88-91 grand marquis has it too. The block the EZ pass signal just like the little bag it comes with which has the same metallic layers in it also. Also if you have metalized tint on your windshield, you will need it too.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

If you live in the Bronx, why don't you have a front plate?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:11 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Certified Beast
There are metal sunblocking elements in the windshields, you can easily see these when the windshield has a purple hue to it. A lot of GM, s class mercedes, 7 series bmw have it, and the old 88-91 grand marquis has it too. The block the EZ pass signal just like the little bag it comes with which has the same metallic layers in it also. Also if you have metalized tint on your windshield, you will need it too.
mine is on the inside of the windshield right above the mirror. Works fine.
Ours (called smart-tag in Va., but works at EZ pass places too) can be taken out of the car and used in other cars too...we have a bracket in my wife's car that we can switch it to when we take it on a trip....
Old 02-27-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by max5spd
If you live in the Bronx, why don't you have a front plate?

Florida Insurance/Plates.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by WHOS UR DADDY

I know this may sound a bit newbish, but how would i know if i have metalized tint on my windsheild? I mean it has that factory blue-ish tint on it and i got the front strip tinted on the windsheild when i got my car tinted.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:38 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by rkyat
I know this may sound a bit newbish, but how would i know if i have metalized tint on my windsheild? I mean it has that factory blue-ish tint on it and i got the front strip tinted on the windsheild when i got my car tinted.
maximas don't

how can you tell? wear polarized sunglasses and the cars that have that kind of windshield tint really stand out. The ones I notice the most are the Pontiac Trans-Sport minivans, which were one of the first to use it.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you go the ez pass site, there is a list of vehicles that require the exterior tag. I have a 97, and have an interior tag, and have had no issues at all with it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:41 PM

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, what is a EZ-Pass??? For a moment i thought it's one of those pass thing you do at the gas station instead of using a credit card. So am I assuming this is for those who have toll booth in their state on some interstate?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:47 PM

Sorry, most of the people in the Northeast know about them. EZ Pass is used for tolls/bridges/etc. People who have an account, are issued a small device that gets attached to the inside of your windshield. When you go through a toll or bridge, there are computers that are built in the toll lane, that reads your device, and charges your account for the toll. There are a few benefits, like discounted tolls for people with EZ Pass, along with the fact that most tolls have Ez Pass only lanes, which speeds up your travel time. I make trips from CT to NJ frequently, and it easily cuts down 20-30 mins in toll traffic.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:30 AM

We have toll tags here in Texas as well. I've got the tag that is velcroed to the inside of the windshield, behind the mirror and juts below the layer of tint on teh windshield - no problems. The NTTA does issue transponders that mount to a front license plate where necessary.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
I got mine when they first came out.

The reason for the external tags is because they don't want people switching them between cars.
Again with the misconceptions/urban legends

from the horse's mouth

I saw these crazy people with the tag on the back license plate. I also knew a girl who waved the tag with her hand in VA because she didn't want to glue the velcro to the glass in her 540.

I dunno, I have a 98. I'd guess that it'd be ok with the 02-03, but if the tag can't be read you're gonna have some inconvenience.

If the guy is from da Bronx I'm not really sure why he doesn't have a front tag. I thought the only place you could drive without a reggie was in Philly. Here you got cars with no tags going up and down the boule, or smoked license frames where you literally cannot read the tag when you're directly behind.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
If the guy is from da Bronx I'm not really sure why he doesn't have a front tag.
Heres your answer

Florida Insurance/Plates.

Its called insurance fraud

Its basically a small black rectangular box that goes on top of the license plate. If you have a black frame its not very noticable. But if you have no front plate, you'll just have a black rectangle sticking out of your front plate.

Its not really an urban legend. They are killing 2 birds with one stone. MANY people, especially Staten Islanders, use it on cars other than their own since they get a discount... which is illegal under EZ pass guidelines... Theres been quite a few people I know that have received summonses in the mail from them. Every time you go through EZ pass they also get a picture of your license plate.. and if it doesnt match to the registered EZ pass, yer screwed. They dont review or look at every single person, its totally random. But you better believe they are doing it now.

New windshields have some type of property that makes the EZ pass a little harder to read. So not only do they get rid of that problem, they dont have to worry about people using EZ passes from other peoples cars.

Then again you could always get the interior one and just stick your hand out of the window...
Old 02-28-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Heres your answer

Its called insurance fraud
Not necessarily, my home is in Florida, im just in NY about half of the year.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:32 AM

I have an internal tag as well. I don't even mount it up on the windshield (think it looks ugly). I just leave it on the dash when going through any ezpass lanes. Works fine, never had a problem reading it when leaving it on the dash.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:57 AM

I just got an internal EZ Pass last year... its mounted right below the base of my rear view mirror and I've never had problems with it reading and whatnot...
Old 03-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Not necessarily, my home is in Florida, im just in NY about half of the year.
The odds of you getting busted for fraud is not that great. However, if you have a claim in NYC the odds are very great that you will not be covered. A dude in my office had his car registered in S. Jersey and moved up to Crooklyn Heights for a little over a year. His car was stolen, and the cops hassled him about his NJ reggie. Then his insurance co. said they would not pay the claim. What's the sense in paying for insurance if you're not covered? I love seeing the cars in NYC with Vermont tags and expired stickers and inspection. Who are they kidding?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:47 PM

yea i understand the risks and what not, but like i said before im NY and Florida during different parts of the year. My actual home is in St. Augustine, Florida. Lol amazing how an ezpass thread turns into an insurance fraud thread.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 PM

If I were you, I'd call them and see if you (as an out of stater) can get the EZ pass.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 PM

i have Chicago ipass and it worsk fine mounted behind rear view mirror.
ipass website has a list of cars that require external mod. Mostly bimmers
Old 03-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Heres your answer
MANY people, especially Staten Islanders, use it on cars other than their own since they get a discount... which is illegal under EZ pass guidelines... Theres been quite a few people I know that have received summonses in the mail from them. Every time you go through EZ pass they also get a picture of your license plate.. and if it doesnt match to the registered EZ pass, yer screwed. They dont review or look at every single person, its totally random. But you better believe they are doing it now.
Maybe NY is different but:
http://www.ezpass.com/static/faq/tag.shtml#share

And from the Maine State systems site:
http://www.ezpassmaineturnpike.com/info/faqs.html#q22

I even asked the maine turnpike authority about it because I use my girl friends ez pass from time to time and they said it was no problem as long as I don't have a different vehicle class.

We just hold it below the windshield as we drive through the toll. I've thought about getting something like: http://www.autobarn.net/ezclip.html
to make things easier but haven't yet.