General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SCCA Solo II...AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 05:47 PM

hey, im really new to autocrossing but im really interested in it. it seems fun but i really dont know much about it. there is a SCCA Solo II coming up this sunday and i would like to participate but dont know what to do. i belive that my car is a "Street Prepared Class D." other than getting a helmet, is there anything else i need to do, classes, seminar, anything? here is a link to what i have found, http://www.houscca.com/solo2/solo.html can someone enlighten me further or correct me and guide me to the right thing? thanks
Old 05-02-2001, 06:36 PM
ryz

our car competes in sts class, battery tie down,nothing lose in your car ,maximum air presure in tires ( to prevent roll over )I think thats it ........
polk around maxima driver .com to see other race tech stuff
Old 05-02-2001, 06:39 PM
ryz

look at here too

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/
Old 05-02-2001, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by ryz
maximum air presure in tires ( to prevent roll over )
BTW, he means rollover on the sidewalls, not rolling the car over. That won't happen in autox. Just wanted to clarify that.

Actually, if the Houston region is not too strict, you might get to run in the G Stock class. I'm not sure what your intake "mod" is, but a cat-back exhaust is allowed in stock and it looks like you're running on stock size wheels and tires. The leather, stereo, and probably even the clear corners could fall under "comfort and convenience" items which are deemed non-performance-enhancing.

First things first -- go here and read Kate Hughes' Novice Autocrosser Handbook.

Next, go here and download Roger Johnson's Course Design Booklet to familiarize yourself with some of the driving elements you're likely to come across (heck, he might even be the one designing the course you'll be running on!).

Finally, browse around Autocross.com for more tips, info, and links.

The three biggest things to remember when you're on the course:
1. be smooth (with your launch, transitions, etc.)
2. drive the best line for you car (not "cone to cone")
3. look ahead (this takes time, but it really pays off)

One other thing I like to do -- sign up to work the course on a heat before yours so that you can have more time to visualize the course and see where other people mess up.

Good luck, and I don't need to tell you to have fun because you won't be able to help it!
Old 05-03-2001, 07:09 AM
The missing moderator

Hey DRU, there's an event this weekend that I am going to attend. If you want, you can come with me and I can introduce you to the guys. www.conecrazy.com, you might have seen a few cars out there with this sticker... but anyways, let me know if you want to go.

shingman@onebox.com

should be fun. I haven't been out in nearly 1 year now. But I guess it's time to start again.

-Shing
Old 05-03-2001, 08:01 AM

the best of luck... the maxima isn't the most competitive car, but, dangit, it's A LOT of fun!

After that autocross, go get a rear sway bar then autocross again... you'll notice an improvement of like 2-3 seconds overall (meaning, if car A is getting 50s and you're getting 56s, then next event, car A is getting 62s and you should be getting 65s)
Old 05-04-2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_
hey, im really new to autocrossing but im really interested in it. it seems fun but i really dont know much about it. there is a SCCA Solo II coming up this sunday and i would like to participate but dont know what to do. i belive that my car is a "Street Prepared Class D." other than getting a helmet, is there anything else i need to do, classes, seminar, anything? here is a link to what i have found, http://www.houscca.com/solo2/solo.html can someone enlighten me further or correct me and guide me to the right thing? thanks
if you use a 'true' stock intake, you can run in the stock class and not street prepared or street touring. If you run in street prepared, you'll be up against cars that will run 3-5 seconds quicker than you since you're not fully utilizing the possible mods that you are allowed.

in showroom stock, you can run a catback, brake pads, shocks, a drop in filter in a stock intake box, DOT approved tires (R compounds allowed) and a front sway bar.