General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Off Topic...sorry, But Have Any Of You Lost Your Wallet Or Have It Stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:06 AM

Off Topic...sorry, But Have Any Of You Lost Your Wallet Or Have It Stolen?

sorry for the off topic question but have any of you lost your wallet or stolen? Anyone who had their wallet stolen with your drivers license and SS in it been a victim of idenity theft? Most robbers look for cash in the wallet, and if there is not they trash the wallet right? I'm asking because a couple days ago at work someone stole my wallet and it had my drivers licence, insurance card, checking card and SS number not the card..what should i be worried about? I already cancelled my checking card
Old 03-10-2005, 09:37 AM

I would cancel all your credit cards, notify Social Security, get a new driver's license number and notify the credit bureaus to put a note on your credit reports. The person that stole it may have just been looking for the money but you don't know whether they threw it away or sold the other stuff to somebody else who could steal your identity.

And by the way, is your friend. http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/
Old 03-10-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I would cancel all your credit cards, notify Social Security, get a new driver's license number and notify the credit bureaus to put a note on your credit reports. The person that stole it may have just been looking for the money but you don't know whether they threw it away or sold the other stuff to somebody else who could steal your identity.

And by the way, is your friend. http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/
i dont have any credit cards except a debit card which i already cancelled, i already called Social Security and they said they will only give me a replacement card... i searched google and one one of the sites it said that Social Security will only give a new SS number if you can prove that your identity is being used by someone else.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 AM

I left my wallet on top of my car one time,and it fell off somewhere. Realized it 2 days later. Was really pissed off about it, then the next day I got a package, some really nice person had found it and mailed it back to me. They didnt even put a return address on the envelope. Nice to know that there are still some nice people in the world. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, maybe you'll get lucky like I did.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 AM

Social security is useless. Do not ever call them again or expect them to offer you help in anything.

If you're worried (probably some cause to be) about identity theft, then get a credit report from all three bureaus and then add a 7 year victim statement. You can add a 6 monther over the phone, but a seven year one requires a bit of paper work (each bureau knows what this is). Then if somebody uses your SSN for credit, the lender is SUPPOSED to call your home phone to confirm. It's about all you can do, though I think californians can add an extra layer of defense (something about basically locking your number down).

I doubt you can get a new license number, and not sure what the benefit would be anyway.

In the future you need to avoid having your SSN number in your wallet. BCBS now issues health numbers that are not SSNs (good!), and at least in Alabama you can specifically request to NOT have your SSN on your driver's license. This is a good idea, and I will do that next time I get a renewal.