General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Paint Job Prep

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Paint Job Prep

What kind of preparation could I do to cut some cost off a paint job? It's a complete paint job on a 95 max, but it remains the same color (Black). Everything (under hood, around the doors, probably not inside trunk, though.

The bodyshop that will do it is pretty expensive, but they do an awesome job. They did both my dad's 83 Firebird back in the 1991-1992 winter and his '73 he has now last winter (2003-2004). My dad is very nit-picky but he was satisfied.

I was thinking of removing all of the lights, removing alot of clutter in the engine bay (like the windshield washer tank, battery, that sort of thing.

That pic is front a 2002, but since I have a VQ35 in the car, it'll be nearly identical.

I'd remove the engine cover, Front Strut Bar, CAI. basically everything that's in the way. Also I would cover all of the engine. I want them to paint around the engine but not under the hood.

My question is; How much do you think I can shave off the final price with all that? They charge 36$/an hour. Also Do I need to remove rubbers around the windows and doors?

Thanks,
S.T.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Blown

yeah, remove all the rubber and moldings. having your engine bay painted will add a lot to the job, I honestly would not have this done if you are staying with the same color, the reason being, the paint is usually still in good condition because it is not exposed to the elements, and they would have to drop your motor out to paint the engine bay. I am guessing you may save several hundred dollars ($500ish) if you remove and put everything back together your self. Just a guess.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:45 PM

If you are staying the same color, why do the entire car? I mean, you should be able to get by with a spray job on the outside parts that show if its going to be the same color.

With that said, they should charge a bit less if you remove the things yourself. It takes longer to remove than to install most of the time. I wouldn't say it would be a lot less since this is relatively an expensive job and saving a few hours of labor won't make a lot of difference in the long run. I'd say you're looking to save 2 hours of labor on the low side, 4 on the high side depending on how much you remove. Remember, 2 of your hours aren't necessarily 2 of their hours. They can make removing some pieces look easy if they've done it a few times and are able to work around them (i.e. move them to one side then back).

If you are going with a TOTAL repaint, you would need to pull everything including the rubbers. If you are going with a good spray and not a total repaint, a top shop should be able to tape. Heck, a good shop can simply drop them in place and work around the rubbers. It doesn't take a lot of time to remove and install them once you've done it several times.

Just remember, the majority of the dollars you will end up spending will be on body work, sanding, the actual painting, and wet sanding / buffing. Good shops should be able to give you an estimate on tear down and rebuilding for the things you are asking for and give you a price with them in tact and with them removed. Saving a buck is what they are in business for; if not, we'd all have new cars every time we had a fender bender.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24
yeah, remove all the rubber and moldings. having your engine bay painted will add a lot to the job, I honestly would not have this done if you are staying with the same color, the reason being, the paint is usually still in good condition because it is not exposed to the elements, and they would have to drop your motor out to paint the engine bay. I am guessing you may save several hundred dollars ($500ish) if you remove and put everything back together your self. Just a guess.
I only want them to paint AROUND the engine bay, so I will remove the windshield washer tank, battery and other such clutter around the engine and cover the engine itself with paper/cloth whatever. I don't think it's very long to do if I prep the engine bay for them.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:20 PM

You might regret removing things to save a little cash if you scratch your paint when re-installing them. If the body shop does it. they would have to fix it. If you do it, you're pretty much out of gas. The only way to really tell what you will save is to ask the paint and body shop.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:35 PM

Why would a body shop lower their price because the owner "prepped" the car themselves? When you have a service that is pure profit, why in the world would you give any of it up? That would be like thinking that a lease is the same as a purchase. WTF would NMAC, BMWFS, MBCC, GMAC sell a off-lease vehicle for one penny less than what they sell it for on the wholesale mkt? When's the last time your landlord said it's ok, we'll just take your rent pymts. over the last 30 yrs. and let you buy our Manhattan co-op. Just use your good business sense.

Yeah, tell Donald Trump that you saved some money on the paint job because you prepped the Maybach on your own. Kepcher will be impressed.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Why would a body shop lower their price because the owner "prepped" the car themselves?
The body shop will lower the price because its less work you have to do. It is like bringing an engine in to get rebuilt. If you take it out it is less then if you were to have them take it out to rebuild it. I just did this last week. I took off the door handles, mirrors, molding, splash guards, sprayer nozzles, spoiler, fog lights, headlights, corner lights, bumper lights, I dropped down my sunroof so there was no line, my antenna came off, every emblem, and the key hole on the trunk. After I took all that off I sanded it down and even went down there and taped the whole car off. They told me if I had left everythign on the car and didn't sand it I would be looking at close to 3K. This is a very very good body shop, probably one of the best around me and they only ended up charging me $1150. So basicall it pays off to do the work yourself. So if I were you I would definitly do it yourself.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
The body shop will lower the price because its less work you have to do. It is like bringing an engine in to get rebuilt. If you take it out it is less then if you were to have them take it out to rebuild it. I just did this last week. I took off the door handles, mirrors, molding, splash guards, sprayer nozzles, spoiler, fog lights, headlights, corner lights, bumper lights, I dropped down my sunroof so there was no line, my antenna came off, every emblem, and the key hole on the trunk. After I took all that off I sanded it down and even went down there and taped the whole car off. They told me if I had left everythign on the car and didn't sand it I would be looking at close to 3K. This is a very very good body shop, probably one of the best around me and they only ended up charging me $1150. So basicall it pays off to do the work yourself. So if I were you I would definitly do it yourself.
Let us see some pics of your newly painted car.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
Let us see some pics of your newly painted car.
Here is the link to the thread I had pictures in. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=386345
Old 03-13-2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
Here is the link to the thread I had pictures in. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=386345
Thanks. I love that blue.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:47 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Are you serious Frank? At least 65% of the cost in a good paint job is labor for prep. How is the body shop gonna charge for labor hours that don't exist? If you wanna shut your eyes and open your @sshole be my guest. Any good body shop will lay out the costs on an itemized list. Labor will be one item and will have a quantity. Multiply that quantity by the labor rate/hour and you've got the cost of labor. Then ask how many labor hours you saved. Lets say the estimator says you saved five hours. Lets do some simple math. 5 x $40(Very modest labor rate for body shops.) You save $200.

I definitely recomend pulling off the window trim. It is quite involved but taping, no matter how good the shop, will never be as clean or last as long as paint that was laid underneath the trim. Also, I don't recomend dropping the sunroof. Paint overspray is a mischeivious creature. It will get everywhere. You risk getting paint inside the car. I do suggest dropping the sunroof taping down on the seals and rasing it back up. Maybe this is what you meant.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Every bodyshop I've dealt or friends have dealt with are happy to do the work even if you prep the car yourself (ie remove trim, stripping, etc). It speeds up their job greatly. The prep sanding and such should be left to the pros though.

As for the trim removal, you're going to have to remove all the window trim and prepared to break and bend some peices. It's inevitiable. You should also remove the window trim, and the upper pillar weather stripping.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Initial sanding isn't a good thing to do? We always did the heavy sanding on the cars we have done at the shop I help out at, then let the painter do the fine sanding/prep (the cars were painted at another shop) Although, these guys were doing the body work, so I guess that could make a differnece. I agree that doing the bish work yourself makes them happy...they are there to paint, not sand/tear off trim.