General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

suggestions for aligning my CF trunk better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

suggestions for aligning my CF trunk better?

i posted this in the 5th gen forum, but i figured this may get looked at by a wider range of people, especially some of the 4th gen guys who have installed a carbon fiber trunk. so sorry for the double post.

it was supposed to be replaced, since it was damaged in shipping at the corners, but I havent heard from Jose yet, but im not worried yet.

anyway. the trunk is not sitting level. the drivers side nearly lines up perfect, maybe sits an 1/8" too high. but the passenger side sits high enough that you can fit your finger in the gap. the trunk can line up perfectly when we press down on it. so i had my friend crawl in the trunk, and lower the latch while me and my other friend pressed down on the trunk. that lined it up fine, but after popping it and tryin to close it, it wouldnt close. no matter where we moved the latch, it would either sit uneven, or wouldnt close. eventually, we just got it to close and called it a night. my boy suggested heating and bending the trunk arm SLIGHTLY, just enough so that it sits level, but i dont know if there are any other options. we even tried to put washers between the latch and the lid itself to move the latch (on the trunk side) slightly, but that didnt work. i suggested removing one of the torsion bars, which is what was suggested in another thread about this, but he said that wouldnt lower it.

so anyone have any ideas? like i said, the lines are good when we press down on it, but then it wont latch, and as it sits now, i gotta hit it pretty hard to latch it, which i dont wanna do. i dont know much about installin things like this, so could use all the help and advice i can get. thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:05 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Hmm... I'm gonna be installing mine this weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

i'v tried so many times to align mine it's not even funny. even when i get it close i swear after a week of driving and my bass it's get's unaligned...good luck no tips i can suggest...maybe sadler could help you...he got his close...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 AM

do you know sadler's name on the ORG? maybe i can check with him or his homepage if he has one. i just want to get it to sit at least level. unfortunately, there is only one other guy with a 5th gen CF trunk right now, which is a good thing in a way, haha.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:59 AM
vsamoylov

sorry to bash but the fitment on most cf or aftermarket parts realy sucks. i know what you mean. i was at this meet this eekend and this guy had a 5th gen maxima witha cf trunk and his fitment sucked too.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:01 AM

your definitley not bashing, i knew fitment wouldnt be like stock. im pleased with how my VIS hood fits, and i know i can THEORETICALLY get this thing to line up, cuz when we press down on it, the lines are good, i just really dont wanna bend my trunk arms to accomdate it.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Banned

i'd got an idea for you...why don't you make shims to get it to sit level...or shave off some of the material...Jason Sadler rarely is on the org nowadays and had a 4th gen cf trunk. good luck again...
Old 03-29-2005, 01:50 PM

i thought of something similar to that. since the drivers side is lower than the passenger side, put washers or shims between the arm and the trunk lid, so they basically both sit level now when shut, THEN adjust the stock latch up and down only, as opposed to in all directions.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:50 PM

I'd like to see the outcome of this.. I will be getting my CF trunk soon.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
sorry to bash but the fitment on most cf or aftermarket parts realy sucks. i know what you mean. i was at this meet this eekend and this guy had a 5th gen maxima witha cf trunk and his fitment sucked too.

well if your gonna be one of the first ones to have something, something iis bound to happen.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:10 AM

Jason Sadler's didn't line up particularly well either. I saw it in person several times.

Originally Posted by Torgus
i'd got an idea for you...why don't you make shims to get it to sit level...or shave off some of the material...Jason Sadler rarely is on the org nowadays and had a 4th gen cf trunk. good luck again...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:17 AM
The only 4.5 gen in da 956

Where did you all purchase the c/f trunks? Also looking for the hoods,
Old 03-30-2005, 08:24 AM

you can get 4th gen trunk lids from paradox-systems.com they claim there fitment is perfect has any one got one of these
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM

yeah, i dont know about the 4th gen. there is only one company that makes the 5th gen now (and Jose STILL has not gotten back to me about my damaged trunk lid ). the more i look at it, the more it seems if i can just push the trunk lid lower, it will sit just fine. i need some weight on it or something...
Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

nothing like getting an e-mail to help out the maxima community.

the best advice i can give you on the trunk lid is to just loosen the bolts that hold the trunk lid to the trunk arms and move it around. you just have to keep moving it back and forth and test fitting it. don't forget there is a lot of play in how the latch is lined up as well, that will help bring the trunk lid down and get rid of gaps near the back window and outside edges. took me about 2 hours with a friend to get it pretty close.. pictures were posted somewhere, but that was awhile back.

good luck and congrats on a unique modification.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:59 AM

Hey guys I cant really seem to find the carbon fiber trunk on the paradox system website... any links to it??? THat and the hood? THanks alot... Raul
Old 04-01-2005, 08:51 AM

http://www.paradox-systems.com/specials.html
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 AM

hey, thanks a lot Jason. and thanks for mac, for kinda bumping this for me, so i could see this response. i have a lot of peoples ideas, combined with some of my own, to make this fit right. we are gonna try it saturday and see what happens. ive begun to think i need to pull the entire trunk BACK slightly, toward the rear of the car, to get the latch to line up better. my friend will spend a lot of time in that trunk thanks for all the help.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
anyway. the trunk is not sitting level. the drivers side nearly lines up perfect, maybe sits an 1/8" too high. but the passenger side sits high enough that you can fit your finger in the gap. the trunk can line up perfectly when we press down on it. so i had my friend crawl in the trunk, and lower the latch while me and my other friend pressed down on the trunk. that lined it up fine, but after popping it and tryin to close it, it wouldnt close. no matter where we moved the latch, it would either sit uneven, or wouldnt close. eventually, we just got it to close and called it a night.
so anyone have any ideas?

like i said, the lines are good when we press down on it, but then it wont latch, and as it sits now, i gotta hit it pretty hard to latch it, which i dont wanna do.
Did you check if there is any gaps between the c/f trunk and the trunk rubber seal. If it's already sitting on top the seal then no shim or bending the trunk arm would help.

You mentioned getting it close but it wouldn't close. I suggest also adjusting the trunk latch and catch. I'm not sure on the 5th gen but on the 4th gen , we had quite some play to adjust it higher or lower. I opted to adjust it lower to reduce the unslightly gap between the trunklid and the rear bumper. It just required me to push down a little harder to close the trunk. Hope this help you.

If the trunk is getting replaced, don't worry about getting it aligned cause every C/F trunk is hand laid and made causing differences in fitment.

Eric
Old 04-03-2005, 01:35 PM

So if I get this carbon fiber trunk, I can pratically replace my old 95 tails, and get some gen twos???
Old 04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
2060lbs and falling...

If you get this CF trunk you will be forced to replace your tails. Unless somebody made a 4.0 version when I wasn't looking. Why get gaytezzas when you can have red/clears?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Broaner
If you get this CF trunk you will be forced to replace your tails. Unless somebody made a 4.0 version when I wasn't looking. Why get gaytezzas when you can have red/clears?
ok your insulting altezzas while talking about a cf trunk....they are both gaudy cosmedic mods.

oh a side note my painted gen2s look so go with my CF trunk i get compliments all the time.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Boosted Panda

ok your insulting altezzas while talking about a cf trunk....they are both gaudy cosmedic mods.

oh a side note my painted gen2s look so go with my CF trunk i get compliments all the time.

Post pics.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:47 PM

i aligned my trunk.. sits flush!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Ah but thats where you're wrong. Carbon products actually serve a purpose to improve performance as opposed to gayzza's. What do they do to make the vehicle better? You think wavy uneven surfaces are intended to improve the cosmetics of the vehicle? I certainly don't think so. Its very difficult to make CF perfectly straight when its laid in the thicknesses typical of hoods and moreso trunklids. For me the at least 90% of the reason for the purchase was weight. And that weight is significant. The rear now tends to walk out much more than it ever did in the turns. I'm actually quite disappointed with its appearance. The clearcoat is too thick and that makes the weave hazy in some light. The surface is wavy so it looks funky as hell under the streetlights at night. Daytime it looks okay but not perfect and the alignment is crap but I haven't messed with that at all yet. But if you can't be swayed I guess you must go on being a continous pessamist as usual.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Father of the 00 VI

i also bought a carbon fiber trunk to save 30 more lbs and i think CF looks terrible. Mine is getting painted as we speak body color.
People will never know i have a CF trunk and thats the way i want it.also my 5lb spoiler is coming off to.

I have a calculation i believe nasa uses,that 35 lbs off my car comes out to be 3.43 hp .will altezzas give you 3.43 hp i think not . and im not sure how to calculate but im sure it will raise my gas milage 1-2 %
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
i aligned my trunk.. sits flush!

so whats the secret?

Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 PM
aka UNCDooD

I need to take pictures of mine now that its on. hopefully I will do that sometime this week. and drilling the holes for the inner tails sucked.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
so whats the secret?

its somewhere in this thread.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Chassis Freak

KCMC, sounds like you need to adjust the latch itself. I know the Haynes manual explains how to do this, it's not difficult. It's probably explained on the Org somewhere.

With the latch adjustments and the trunk arm bolt adjustments you have a lot of play.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Banned

3.43 hp makes no noticible difference at a track or on the street.

if you replace both your hood and your trunk it's worth it...i guess..kinda sorta not. 90% of people who get CF is for looks alone. if your serious about losing weight spending 1g to lose 70lbs(hood + trunk) is a waste. go spend that 1grand on PERFORMANCE and you'll go faster and gain alot more there are much cheaper ways to make your car lighter. whatever i'm not getting into this argument it's stupid.
if you have 1g to spend drop 70 lbs your much richer then me. hell if you want it painted add another 5 for 1.5g's....i think not.
the performance to cost ratio sucks.
anyone who would like to discuss this further pm me. no more whoring.

oh and if i had 1g to spend to make my car faster it would be going twords a turbo kit not silly cf.

all of my CF is for looks alone. i don't pretend it's for performance.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Oh, I already have done all the free weight saving. The full list:
-Budget Y-Pipe(9 Ibs)
-Engine Bay Splash Guard(2 Ibs)
-Hoodliner(1 Ibs)
-Stock Drivers Seatbelt Assembly(5 Ibs)
-Racing Bucket(28Ibs)
-Brake Rotor Dustsheilds(9 Ibs)
-Stock Intake Plumbing(4 Ibs)
-Wall Behind Rear Seats(6 Ibs)
-Exhaust Heat Sheilding(9 Ibs)
-Plastic Guard Around Brake and Gas Lines(1 Ib)
-Removed Glove Box Dash Bar(2 Ibs)
-Misc. Bolts and Brackets(>20lbs)
-Removed Rear Tow Hooks(3 Ibs)
-Removed Pass Tow Hook(1lb)
-Exhaust Tunnel Bar(1 Ibs)
-Front Pass Side Tow Hook(1Ib)
-Stock Foglight Brackets(1.5Ibs)
-Radiator Overflow bottle(2Ibs)
-Cruise Control System(3lbs)
-Plate Under Steering Wheel(2lbs)
-UDP(3lbs)
-Jack and Mounting Bracket(7lbs)
-Spare(28lbs)
-A/C(35lbs)
-Windsheild Washer system(10lbs)
-Power Steering(20lbs)
-EGR System(7lbs)
-Trimmed EGR Coolant fittings and TB Coolant fittings.(1lb)
-Fender Splash Guards(5lbs)
-Windshield Wiper System(10lbs)
-Battery Tray(2lbs)
-Rims(15lbs)
-Trimmed clutch and brake pedal(1lb)
-Front and Rear Bumper Reinforcements(21lbs)
-Exhaust rear section(20lbs)
-CF Trunklid(40lbs)

Decreasing weight effects the car in a way that you can't comprehend unless you've done some harcore stuff. A silly 10lbs here and there isn't worth jack but when you lose over 300lbs all told its very significant. Its also not all about straightline performance. Weight reduction does a far bit to improve that but it really shines in the handling department.

Also, I am going boosted via V1. I have 70% of the stuff I need.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
its somewhere in this thread.
could you please share this secret? unless your secret is the same as his, meaning you cant pop the trunk anymore cuz you wont get it closed, haha. i cant see your pics either

vquick, i definitley did adjust the latch all over the place. we will try again and see what happens tho another day, and concentrate more on this than dremeling the holes and all that stuff.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Father of the 00 VI

3.43 hp makes no noticible difference at a track or on the street.

if you replace both your hood and your trunk it's worth it...i guess..kinda sorta not. 90% of people who get CF is for looks alone. if your serious about losing weight spending 1g to lose 70lbs(hood + trunk) is a waste. go spend that 1grand on PERFORMANCE and you'll go faster and gain alot more there are much cheaper ways to make your car lighter. whatever i'm not getting into this argument it's stupid.
if you have 1g to spend drop 70 lbs your much richer then me. hell if you want it painted add another 5 for 1.5g's....i think not.
the performance to cost ratio sucks.
anyone who would like to discuss this further pm me. no more whoring.

oh and if i had 1g to spend to make my car faster it would be going twords a turbo kit not silly cf.

all of my CF is for looks alone. i don't pretend it's for performance.
I agree with you thats why my trunk was only $300 and also the 3.43 hp does not apply to every one who gets a trunk . My estimate is they will gain the average maxima 1.8 - 2.3 hp.

But between hood and my trunk adding them now to my car would gain me 7.44 hp but i dont have a hood only a trunk. and that hp is from a assumed 40lb loss from the hood only .which would be a exspensive hood with no skeleton.
But the bottom line is if your car is 3300lbs and this brings you down 30lbs then it is a waste performance and money wise unless you plan like me to continue to remove hundreds of lbs .Then the #'s start meaning something.

You guys cant imagine the MPG i get ,to high to put on the net.
But i will tell you i got a ford focus zx3 to save ghas money and to my suprise my maxima has a way higher MPG the focus is going as soon as my max gets back from vacation.