General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Engine literally exploded from spraying nitrous-smoke came from engine-engine shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 PM

No ones mentioned checking the ECU for codes, you would think the CEL would come on as it sounds like the ecu is retarding the engine as its detecting something wrong.. just use the old screw driver in the ecu trick to check the codes or an Autozone
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

could it be the mitsu coils you put in? also u said that u didnt replace the plugs with colder ones, that could of also done it, considering the point of colder plugs is to not let them overheat from the increased combustion goin on in the motor, i would say pull you coils and plugs first, check them out and go form there.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by 30585
could it be the mitsu coils you put in? also u said that u didnt replace the plugs with colder ones, that could of also done it, considering the point of colder plugs is to not let them overheat from the increased combustion goin on in the motor, i would say pull you coils and plugs first, check them out and go form there.
I think that's a good idea, because it wouldn't seem that a vacuum leak would cause smoking.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 AM

hey man. Im not an engine expert of anything but i would gladly help u out if u need a hand. Im right in frederick. How far is funksville. now that im retired(lol) im free almost everyday except sunday. let me know if u need help. I can get my hands on a truck if u need a toe, but we will need a trailer. Let me know...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I can't believe you sprayed in a school zone, that was poor judgement.

As for your motor, pull the plugs and do a compression test.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
No ones mentioned checking the ECU for codes, you would think the CEL would come on as it sounds like the ecu is retarding the engine as its detecting something wrong.. just use the old screw driver in the ecu trick to check the codes or an Autozone

yes they have...

look at post 31.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=31
Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Sounds like you have a severe vacuum or EGR leak, maybe you had a nitrous backfire in the manifold and it blew a gasket. When we installed Krismax's VI with left a EGR plate untightened by accident and it made the same symptoms as your car does, however the engine stayed running but backfired and idled horribly.

Same problem I had when I installed my KS the hard way.
Idles for no more than 10 seconds and just slowly drops to a stall.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:13 AM

im not sure that he was in a school zone. he could have been close to school, but not nesaccarily in the school zone.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Lightly modded

No, it wasn't in a school zone. My college doesn't even have a 'school zone' around it. But I was far enough away from anything that I was safe, trust me. I was about a mile from anything. After I get out of classes today I will narrow this down if at all possible.
Sean05- Funkville is a made up name. My school is in Southern MD in St. Mary's county. There's no way you're gonna drive down here, it's a good 2 hour drive from DC.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I don't think you blew your motor. My money is on a vac leak, blown gasket of some sort, etc. Also you can buy a cheap socket set and compression tester for like $30 man... just check the compression to eliminate that possibility or confirm a blown motor, head gasket, etc.

The car sounds like it's having a vacuum leak issue.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:34 AM
be the change u want2C

My friends GSX had the same problem, the j-pipe to his intercooler had bent, and would let all the boost out. It would start up and die right away. I think you have a vac leak issue like every one else said
Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 AM

Brushedpewter

"95maxrider remember that comment I made about the JWT ecu to you????

Go back and search for it. I wouldn't touch a JWT ecu with a 100ft pole. Almost everyone that ran them had serious engine problems. People have better luck running a stock ecu and a safc2.

BTW i run a 75 shot on a 99 altima that only has 150hp stock. I retard my timing by using a MSD digital 6 box "
******(********************************
This is a typical foolish post that could and would deceminate false and ignorant info to people on the Max Org.
If one is not sure what they're saying, please put a disclaimer in so a newbie doesn't absorb this nonsense!!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Not really of help here, and I agree that sucks, but if one can't afford to mod a car, one shouldn't do it. Reliability issues enter into play, and money needs to be set aside for repairs.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Lightly modded

UPDATE: Went out to car again and I was able to keep it running by revving the engine. Once again, after I let it shut off I heard a wooshing of air kind of noise from the engine, so it's looking more like a vaccum leak. I was still unable to locate any loose hoses however.
My mechanic was out to lunch, but after my next class I'll drive up to his place, check the plugs and anything else I can do in a short amount of time. Maybe I can use his scanner as well. I don't feel like paying him to do another compression check though if I can possibly do it myself. But at this point that may not be necessary if I can locate something as simple as a blown off hose.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Lightly modded

UPDATE #2:
Got the car to the mechanic. I pointed out that my intake (Apexi) looked burned, and he confirmed that the filter had been burned and was pretty much dead, and thus the MAF was probably also fried. This led us to believe it was a backfire that I heard. While the car was idling he noted that it smelled as if it was running real rich. He also said it was backfiring while idling. His diagnosis was a bad backfire, and since it's still backfiring, he thinks an intake valve may have gotten busted.
We hooked up the quick scanner to the port and it was unable to read a single code. Possibly because I had so many codes. When he gets some time he will use the real diagnostic tool to really find out what's going on. I await his answer.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Lightly modded

One more thing- I called JWT to get Ben's opinion on the matter. During our discussion he mentioned that the nitrous jet should be mounted in the TB, not in the intake piping, as this could case some nitrous to get stuck before the TB if it closes, which I guess could cause a backfire. My jet is less than 5" from the TB in my Frankencar midpipe, which is where I've seen pretty much all Maxima nitrous setups put their jets. How important is it really to have the jet in the TB? I have never heard that before.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You're running a dry setup correct? If it were a nitrous backfire you would need fuel, ie: a wet setup. The fuel is what puddles and then explodes.

The JWT ecu must adjust injector pulse to account for the nitrous. Unless it puddled somehow right at the head, I have no idea how you could have had a nitrous backfire.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Lightly modded

Yes, it's a dry setup. Well, if that means it wasn't a nitrous backfire, what about a regular backfire? Because it's still backfiring now when at idle. I mean, my air filter is literally fried and charred. It's useless now, and leads me to believe a backfire was the culprit.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:47 PM

Well, if your air filter is charred, it's likely a nitrous backfire although I'm confused as to how a dry setup would backfire. Regular backfires generally go out the exhaust. And right now your backfiring is because of a vacuum leak most likely. A vacuum leak confuses your MAF because it's essentially unmetered air going into the motor, and it will cause backfiring.

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Yes, it's a dry setup. Well, if that means it wasn't a nitrous backfire, what about a regular backfire? Because it's still backfiring now when at idle. I mean, my air filter is literally fried and charred. It's useless now, and leads me to believe a backfire was the culprit.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:08 PM

Maybee a valve keeper let loose .
Old 04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Sorry to hear your troubles man.

First, it is not the freakin cat....in no way shape or form will a bad/clogged cat do this

I know there are a million things going threw your head about what happend and what to do, I have been there. But the very fist thing you need to do is get a compression test, check your vacuum, and check your plugs. You can buy a kit for less than $50 and a vacuum gauge for like $10. That will tell you alot right there. Eveything else does not matter right now.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:18 PM

My best guess is that I was between 4200-4500 rpm. Keep in mind this is a dry setup.
if it is the gasket of some sort the dry set up has nothing to do with it. my theory because it has happened to me also, is the force from the nitrous pushing on a worn or loose gasket = leak. if the plenum bolts were loose this would cause the gasket to push out when you hit the nitrous.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by i30krab
Brushedpewter

"95maxrider remember that comment I made about the JWT ecu to you????

Go back and search for it. I wouldn't touch a JWT ecu with a 100ft pole. Almost everyone that ran them had serious engine problems. People have better luck running a stock ecu and a safc2.

BTW i run a 75 shot on a 99 altima that only has 150hp stock. I retard my timing by using a MSD digital 6 box "
******(********************************
This is a typical foolish post that could and would deceminate false and ignorant info to people on the Max Org.
If one is not sure what they're saying, please put a disclaimer in so a newbie doesn't absorb this nonsense!!
Nice find!

Brushedpewter, please don't try to help anyone else until you do some research. I don't know where you got that crock from.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
Nice find!

Brushedpewter, please don't try to help anyone else until you do some research. I don't know where you got that crock from.
crock, hahaha. I know my research.

For your info I did a lot of research before I put my nitrous on. I had my MSD laying in my room for more than a month before I installed it.

Just because i'm a newb here doesn't mean I don't know anything.

Running the JWT ecu is like running a stock ecu without retarding your timing while spraying.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
VQ Wizard

Nice double post.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=394061
Old 04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by SR20DEN

Triple if you count the link in OT
I'm sorry I wanted the opinion of as many knowledgable people as possible Sue me.

Brushedpewter- Please, show me some of this research you did to show me how bad a company JWT is. Please. And I had my nitrous setup laying around for 6 months before I installed it. So what? And what is this: "Running the JWT ecu is like running a stock ecu without retarding your timing while spraying". The JWT ECU bumps up timing while in NA mode, then retards it and alters A/F ratio among other things when in nitrous mode. So please explain your statement again.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Play with my balls

Triple if you count the link in OT
I was just about to say that. I'd want to get that fixed asap also.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 PM
VQ Wizard

Brushedpewter- Please, show me some of this research you did to show me how bad a company JWT is.

Research? I know I have said that publicly at least a dozen times (that JWT is a HORRIBLE company to deal with and should always be avoided). And hundreds of times to other people since 1996.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Lightly modded

Research? I know I have said that publicly at least a dozen times. And hundreds of times to other people since 1996.
Wait, are you being sarcastic, or just responding to something that wasn't addressed to you? I'm lost.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
VQ Wizard

The latter.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Lightly modded

The latter.
So you're saying that you have known JWT is a bad company since 1996? Or something else about research.....?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:15 PM
VQ Wizard

I edited my earlier post for clarification.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:28 PM

95maxrider:

im thinking you may have poped an upper intake manifold gasket.
i was having a few problems with that gasket. apparently while searcing for for vaccum leaks with the old brake cleaner trick the cleaner+plus the heat cause the rubber gasket to stretch. it was not hard for me to figure out the problem since i was able to see a piece off the gasket hanging out the back side. the vacaum leak was huge i was able to hear a loud hissing sound. i had to limp my car 20 miles home feathering the gas in traffic. the gasket seem normal from the front off the motor. when i took off the intake manifold there was about 3-4mm of gasket sticking out the back. my car had the same symptoms you are discribing but a lot worse. i had to rev the motor up to create enough vaccum to use the brakes.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:32 PM

Research? I know I have said that publicly at least a dozen times (that JWT is a HORRIBLE company to deal with and should always be avoided). And hundreds of times to other people since 1996.
The man has spoke for me. Why don't you go on nissanclub and search how some of the altima members are having problems. And running platinums with nitrous BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, if they don't know what type of spark plugs to use why should we even use their ecu's.

MSD bumps up my timing in NA and retards it automatically when the nitrous is spraying. I also have a digital Window switch so I don't have any accidents like spraying below 3k. I heard countless of stories how it takes so long to receive stuff from JWT, and how you have to call them all the time to get your stuff. And when I went to the track did i hear or see JWT, no! All I saw was MSD, even in Honda's. MSD is race proven, and MSD will fix your product fast and mail it back to you fast so your car will be back on the road sooner. Hell some of the boxes are even carb legal. The only problems people have with MSD boxes is because they didn't read the directions right or the box broke after a couple of years. There is nothing wrong with a JWT, except it does engine damage. Your engine problem right now probably has nothing to do or the JWT assisted in trying to kill your engine. If it doesn't kill your motor today it will do it later. The JWT ecu always has it's day.

Call me a newb, call me a hater, go and find a 4 cyl altima with a 75 shot and a JWT ecu. You won't find none!!! They are either blown or the people are running a MSD box or nothing at all.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM

If you can figure out how to get a MSD nitrous box to work in a Maxima, I'd love to know. You are aware that a Maxima has direct ignition and we can't use the MSD box. Only thing we could use is the window switch.

Why would we on a Maxima board go find an Altima w/ a 75 shot? It has nothing to do with the situation at hand. You could run a 65 dry shot with nothing but raised fuel pressure and it wouldn't kill the car. Something else happened when he sprayed, I don't think it has anything to do w/ the ECU.

Not defending JWT, I don't use any of their products and have heard the horror stories, but you seem to be on a vendetta against them.

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
The man has spoke for me. Why don't you go on nissanclub and search how some of the altima members are having problems. And running platinums with nitrous BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, if they don't know what type of spark plugs to use why should we even use their ecu's.

MSD bumps up my timing in NA and retards it automatically when the nitrous is spraying. I also have a digital Window switch so I don't have any accidents like spraying below 3k. I heard countless of stories how it takes so long to receive stuff from JWT, and how you have to call them all the time to get your stuff. And when I went to the track did i hear or see JWT, no! All I saw was MSD, even in Honda's. MSD is race proven, and MSD will fix your product fast and mail it back to you fast so your car will be back on the road sooner. Hell some of the boxes are even carb legal. The only problems people have with MSD boxes is because they didn't read the directions right or the box broke after a couple of years. There is nothing wrong with a JWT, except it does engine damage. Your engine problem right now probably has nothing to do or the JWT assisted in trying to kill your engine. If it doesn't kill your motor today it will do it later. The JWT ecu always has it's day.

Call me a newb, call me a hater, go and find a 4 cyl altima with a 75 shot and a JWT ecu. You won't find none!!! They are either blown or the people are running a MSD box or nothing at all.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
If you can figure out how to get a MSD nitrous box to work in a Maxima, I'd love to know. You are aware that a Maxima has direct ignition and we can't use the MSD box. Only thing we could use is the window switch.

Why would we on a Maxima board go find an Altima w/ a 75 shot? It has nothing to do with the situation at hand. You could run a 65 dry shot with nothing but raised fuel pressure and it wouldn't kill the car. Something else happened when he sprayed, I don't think it has anything to do w/ the ECU.

Not defending JWT, I don't use any of their products and have heard the horror stories, but you seem to be on a vendetta against them.
MSD has distributeless boxes too. That is where everybody gives up. Either do your research or call MSD and ask what box to run. For your info I can't run a MSD box on my car either because I have a internal coil. I found a way around and you should too. I had my cap modified for $50 to run external coil.

I don't have to figure out how to make the MSD box work on a maxima, that is your job. That right there separates the followers and the leaders. Am I chasing other 4 cylenders? no. I'm chasing the 3.5 altima and the 3.5 maxima. I set my goals high, I don't give up easy.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I am no big fan of JWT, but the comments made about them are off base. I used their NA ROM tune for 2 years and liked it alot. There are alot of things to say about JWT...like their customer service sucks, turn around time is horrible, prices are too high, and they don't like to make custom changes. But their products do work. Many guys have had great success with their SC, turbo, and NA ROM tunes. The thing about JWT is they sell off the shelf programs. It has been proven that their tunes are way conservative and much more power can be made with a custom tune with the same power mods.

There is just no way that an off the shelf boosted/nitrous program is going to give maximum results. Every turbo spools differently so +/- fuel or timing can never be universal to get maximum results. But do their products kill motors?...come on now.

Now if they would be more willing to tune to a customers specific set up it would be great.

But in a way I can see why they do what they do. Not that I think it is good, but I kinda understand. If they were to custom tune closer to the edge for every customer then stupid customers who dont' know what they are doing would be blowing motors right and left.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by jdmmax
95maxrider:

im thinking you may have poped an upper intake manifold gasket.
i was having a few problems with that gasket. apparently while searcing for for vaccum leaks with the old brake cleaner trick the cleaner+plus the heat cause the rubber gasket to stretch. it was not hard for me to figure out the problem since i was able to see a piece off the gasket hanging out the back side. the vacaum leak was huge i was able to hear a loud hissing sound. i had to limp my car 20 miles home feathering the gas in traffic. the gasket seem normal from the front off the motor. when i took off the intake manifold there was about 3-4mm of gasket sticking out the back. my car had the same symptoms you are discribing but a lot worse. i had to rev the motor up to create enough vaccum to use the brakes.
Thank you for the very informative post. So you're saying there is no way I can tell if the gasket is busted without taking off the IM?
Would that explain the original backfire? And since it apparently can't be a nitrous backfire, since it's a dry kit, what could have done such a number to my intake filter?

SR20DEN- I got it now. For the record, I am well aware of the problems people encounter when dealing with JWT and getting their ECUs back in a timely manner. I made an angry thread about it because I ended up waiting 5-6 months for this damn ECU. To comment on the quality of their work, I am gonna have to give them some credit since they were the first company that I know of to make a custom ECU for the 4th gen, which isn't the easiest thing to do. They have the abilities to make a very complex ECU as well, far beyond what my ECU does. That's not to say they make perfect products, but aside from customer service, they gotta know something.

Brushedpewter- Why don't you just tell me some of these horror stories, I would love to hear what people say. And from the way you talk, I assume you don't actually have any first hand experience with JWT, do you? If not, it's not the best idea to go around spreading info like that.

EDIT for Mike's post- Pretty much everything Mike said is right. However, in all of my talks with Ben on the phone, I found out JWT was willing to add extra features, or modify existing ones. For example, I changed the rev limiter (7000), converted from auto to manual, changed when nitrous sprays (3000-6400), and could obviously change how large of a shot I was going to use. Those are the basics, but I could have also opted for a seperate program to use a fuel cell, and probably something I'm forgetting. As far as tuning conservatively, that's also true. But if you want, and you make sure you're safe, you could probably run a 75 jet for a 65 shot program Doesn't work quite the same for FI guys though...
Old 04-07-2005, 07:31 AM

Wow, you put a 75 shot on your car w/ an MSD box and you think you're a leader? Running a 75 shot on a Maxima can be done without the MSD box, most likely reason Maximas don't use the MSD. I saw a Focus at the dealership a few days ago, the dealership was putting 75shot NX kits on them. Does that make them leaders?

Put together a custom turbo setup, run 660cc injectors, a 35 shot NX wet kit on top of it all, and come back to talk to me. Oh, and get a custom LSD made while you're at it too.

Sorry for the thread hijack 95maxrider. But if there aren't any visible signs of the rubber gasket tearing on the outside, you can listen for a vacuum leak. Get a vacuum line and use it like a s***hoscope. If that doesn't show anything, tearing the IM out isn't so bad.

MSD has distributeless boxes too. That is where everybody gives up. Either do your research or call MSD and ask what box to run. For your info I can't run a MSD box on my car either because I have a internal coil. I found a way around and you should too. I had my cap modified for $50 to run external coil.

I don't have to figure out how to make the MSD box work on a maxima, that is your job. That right there separates the followers and the leaders. Am I chasing other 4 cylenders? no. I'm chasing the 3.5 altima and the 3.5 maxima. I set my goals high, I don't give up easy.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:13 AM

The man has spoke for me.
I don't like JWT either, never have but the point is that you said more people have problems with the JWT than not. I didn't realize you were talking about when spraying.

So being that I'm an NA nut, I'll go back into my hole and do some work.

Quick Reply: Engine literally exploded from spraying nitrous-smoke came from engine-engine shutoff