General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Twin-Muffler Exh.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 08:40 AM
Blacklabel

Hello everybody I'm new here. I've been reading some posts and so far I think you guys have a great informative site. Does anybody know who would make a twin pipe- muffler exhaust for Maximas ? I think nothing looks more cool than the buisness end of a Maxima with 2 Bada$$ pipes. Does anybody think I could do this homemade with a pipe coming from each header and 2 universal type mufflers?

1993 Nissan Maxima. Auto.
Pearl -White with chrome fenders
Bought it off an old lady with only 68K and one cigarette burn in the door.
Had it since november 2000.

This is Blacklabel

Old 05-10-2001, 10:01 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well....

it can be done, but first off your car has no headers, instaead there is a single y-pipe connecting to the two exhaust manifolds. IMO best bets are to do the custom duals is to split the catback pipng off after the cat converter as far back as possible(near the fuel tank) and run the 2" piping for the second muffler parrallel with the spare tire well and back of fuel tank, then curve it 90 degrees and figure out how your gonna mount the muffler. not an easy task, but if you've got money go for it! trust me, I highly doubt it will be a "homemade job"! this is the type of setup similar to what is used on the 2k Accords. heres a pic-->

Originally posted by Blacklabel
Hello everybody I'm new here. I've been reading some posts and so far I think you guys have a great informative site. Does anybody know who would make a twin pipe- muffler exhaust for Maximas ? I think nothing looks more cool than the buisness end of a Maxima with 2 Bada$$ pipes. Does anybody think I could do this homemade with a pipe coming from each header and 2 universal type mufflers?

This is Blacklabel
Old 05-10-2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Blacklabel

This is Blacklabel

The best, and easiest way is to split it, is after the cat! Take a look at my site and you can see pics of mine.

take care,

G
Old 05-10-2001, 07:54 PM
MAC

Hey 5 liter

did you notice any low end loss w/ the 2 mufflers? any more loss than say normal w/ an after market muffler that has bigger plumbing?
So many people say low back pressure causes poor torque.
Is it true on your car?

thanks for a reply.
ming
Old 05-11-2001, 05:11 AM

Re: Hey 5 liter

Originally posted by MAC
did you notice any low end loss w/ the 2 mufflers? any more loss than say normal w/ an after market muffler that has bigger plumbing?
So many people say low back pressure causes poor torque.
Is it true on your car?

thanks for a reply.
ming
Hey Mac, I didn't notice any loss at all. My car still feels like a high 14 second car...with the twin mufflers. I know all cars are different but I didn't notice any significant change.

take care,

G
Old 05-11-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: Re: Hey 5 liter

Originally posted by fivelitrekiller

Hey Mac, I didn't notice any loss at all. My car still feels like a high 14 second car...with the twin mufflers. I know all cars are different but I didn't notice any significant change.

take care,

G
can u get a pic of underneath ur car cause i really wanna get duals in but the mechanic wants to see pictures of how someone else did it...did u take out ur spare tire area?
Old 05-11-2001, 11:15 PM

exactly what parts do i need to have the dual exhaust setup installed? i'm thinking of buying the parts myself so these rip of mechanics around here don't try to play me. How much does an apexi ws muffler cost? Has anyone done this with a dynomax muffler? Which dynomax muffler did you use? What is the average performance gain and sound gain?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just came up with a great idea!

A few things have been bothering me about my up comming dual exaust setup. My 2 concerns are as follows, I think that the pipes will be too close to each other and look a little funny unless you move the right muffler over a few inches and aligne the left muffler occordangly, also, another reason for concern is loosing your spare tire well{sp?}, so the solution is you have to move the right Muffler over two inches{to the right} and then setup the {new} left muffler 2 inches more to the left. So if you do what I just said the mufflers will be further away from each other giving it a much better look and you will completly avoid cutting into the spare tire area. Brilliant! Also you will save a bunch of money too because the shop will not have to customise your spare tire section, all they will have to do know is make a custom pipe and move the fuel exaust canaster{Black box} out of the way and then make a cut out for the new exaust tip and moddify the old cut out. What do you guys think of this idea? I just looked at my car and it seems my plan will work. Next week I will have this done and I will post some under body and exterior pics.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:08 AM

sounds like it will work...are our underbodies the same? oh well...we'll see from ur pictures
Old 05-12-2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Llfe
sounds like it will work...are our underbodies the same? oh well...we'll see from ur pictures
Yep, same under body's, just the bumpers are different.
Old 05-12-2001, 02:27 AM

I have no intention of flaming but..

IMHO, dual exhaust on a car that
A) didn't originally have it and
B) Doesn't need it

would just look plain silly.
Old 05-12-2001, 03:34 AM

Re: I have no intention of flaming but..

Originally posted by La Jolla Max
B) Doesn't need it

If you've seen it, you know it ain't silly you a$$
Old 05-12-2001, 09:46 AM

Re: I have no intention of flaming but..

Originally posted by La Jolla Max
B) Doesn't need it

Thats becuase you have not seen my dual exaust setup yet.
BTW the dude in your sig pic Silly Lookin.
Old 05-12-2001, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: I have no intention of flaming but..

Originally posted by emax95

BTW the dude in your sig pic Silly Lookin.
Well, that's why I put him in my sig.

Ouch, we're down to name callin now. I think I'll stay a level or two above that