General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Roadkills. I got me some Ford meat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 10:47 AM

Since there appears to be lots of roadkill & track time posts today, I figure I'll throw mine up. I've white washed two Ford's in the past two weeks - I realize this is not a lot to be proud of, but I don't get that many races. Last weekend it was a Taurus SHO (Detroit marketing. Who in their right mind, puts the word "show" right in a car's name??) Anyway, this was the previous body style Taurus. I think the current one was introduced in 96, so this was probably an early-90's model. These three kids are riding in it and it obvious that this is daddy's car. Its Saturday afternoon and we're rolling El Camino Real in San Mateo. The next light turns yellow and we end up lined up at the red. These kids are high schoolers & without looking over, I know that its on. This race was fugly. As soon as we get green I launch hard and so does he. With an 1800 rpm clutch dump, I get zero wheel spin and blast out of the hole. By 5000 in first my door is at his front bumper - then I hear him shift! The kid must've grabbed second at about 4000 rpms. Needless to say, its now over. He clutches just as I'm entering the meat of my powerband in first gear. I run out 1st and open a car or two. By the time I shut down at the top of second I had opened four car lengths on him. Chalk this one up to a driver with no skillz what so ever. I've heard that the Yamaha 24 valve that they drop into those Taurus SLO's are not to be dismissed, but this particular example was NOT fast - nor could the kid drive.

Then Saturday night I got it on with a Thunderchicken SC, and COMPLETELY waxed his behind. Again on El Camino, I'm out specifically looking for trouble. El Camino in San Mateo is a series of stop lights about 5 blocks apart. I end up in traffic along side this really nice looking Tbird SC. I've always liked the looks of that car. This one was black on black, with smoked windows, rear spoiler, exhaust tips, the whole get up. It really was nice looking. And this bad boy was polished and shining big time. "Wet" looking sidewalls, etc. We're back a couple of cars and I'm right next to him. Two guys in the car, looking for the same thing that I am. I ask the guy what kind of exhaust he had. He said stock with tips. I asked if the car was an automatic, he said yes. Given the weight of that pig, I already like my odds. Two lights later we've worked our way to the front - and its on. At green he gets a great launch, torquey motor & rear drive - he kills me out of the hole. I get a crappy launch. By the time I hook up my front bumper is even with his rear bumper. When I hit the meat of first gear I literally walked him down like he was in reverse. I couldn't believe it. I blasted even and them past him in first. Nailed second and pulled away HARD. I looked into my rearview near redline in second and he was a good 6 car lengths back. The guy made a quick right at the next intersection and I never saw him again. HA! I ran his sorry, posing butt right off the strip!

Does anyone know performance figures for those two Ford models? Also, what are the 0-60 & quarter mile times for late model V8 Firebirds? There's a group of about 5 or 6 of them around here that I always see out cruising. I've never had the opportunity, and I'm wondering if I WANT the opportunity. One of them is a ram-air, I know better on that one, but what about the others?

Old 10-09-2000, 10:52 AM
The missing moderator

Well in the hands of a decent driver, the SHO's are quick(only in the two previous gen body though)...

3.0L 220 hp V6
220 @ 5800 RPM
222 @ 4400 RPM
3395lbs

-Shing

Originally posted by Booker

Since there appears to be lots of roadkill & track time posts today, I figure I'll throw mine up. I've white washed two Ford's in the past two weeks - I realize this is not a lot to be proud of, but I don't get that many races. Last weekend it was a Taurus SHO (Detroit marketing. Who in their right mind, puts the word "show" right in a car's name??) Anyway, this was the previous body style Taurus. I think the current one was introduced in 96, so this was probably an early-90's model. These three kids are riding in it and it obvious that this is daddy's car. Its Saturday afternoon and we're rolling El Camino Real in San Mateo. The next light turns yellow and we end up lined up at the red. These kids are high schoolers & without looking over, I know that its on. This race was fugly. As soon as we get green I launch hard and so does he. With an 1800 rpm clutch dump, I get zero wheel spin and blast out of the hole. By 5000 in first my door is at his front bumper - then I hear him shift! The kid must've grabbed second at about 4000 rpms. Needless to say, its now over. He clutches just as I'm entering the meat of my powerband in first gear. I run out 1st and open a car or two. By the time I shut down at the top of second I had opened four car lengths on him. Chalk this one up to a driver with no skillz what so ever. I've heard that the Yamaha 24 valve that they drop into those Taurus SLO's are not to be dismissed, but this particular example was NOT fast - nor could the kid drive.

Then Saturday night I got it on with a Thunderchicken SC, and COMPLETELY waxed his behind. Again on El Camino, I'm out specifically looking for trouble. El Camino in San Mateo is a series of stop lights about 5 blocks apart. I end up in traffic along side this really nice looking Tbird SC. I've always liked the looks of that car. This one was black on black, with smoked windows, rear spoiler, exhaust tips, the whole get up. It really was nice looking. And this bad boy was polished and shining big time. "Wet" looking sidewalls, etc. We're back a couple of cars and I'm right next to him. Two guys in the car, looking for the same thing that I am. I ask the guy what kind of exhaust he had. He said stock with tips. I asked if the car was an automatic, he said yes. Given the weight of that pig, I already like my odds. Two lights later we've worked our way to the front - and its on. At green he gets a great launch, torquey motor & rear drive - he kills me out of the hole. I get a crappy launch. By the time I hook up my front bumper is even with his rear bumper. When I hit the meat of first gear I literally walked him down like he was in reverse. I couldn't believe it. I blasted even and them past him in first. Nailed second and pulled away HARD. I looked into my rearview near redline in second and he was a good 6 car lengths back. The guy made a quick right at the next intersection and I never saw him again. HA! I ran his sorry, posing butt right off the strip!

Does anyone know performance figures for those two Ford models? Also, what are the 0-60 & quarter mile times for late model V8 Firebirds? There's a group of about 5 or 6 of them around here that I always see out cruising. I've never had the opportunity, and I'm wondering if I WANT the opportunity. One of them is a ram-air, I know better on that one, but what about the others?
Old 10-09-2000, 12:22 PM

Stock, I think those two cars are in the low-7 second range from 0-60 mph.
Old 10-09-2000, 12:30 PM
is invisible

This isn't one of your made-up stories...

is it?
Old 10-09-2000, 12:42 PM
is invisible

Times?

"Does anyone know performance figures for those two Ford models? Also, what are the 0-60 & quarter mile times for late model V8 Firebirds? There's a group of about 5 or 6 of them around here that I always see out cruising. I've never had the opportunity, and I'm wondering if I WANT the opportunity. One of them is a ram-air, I know better on that one, but what about the others?"

Here's some...don't know the trapspeeds or auto/manual desgnation:

1989 Ford Taurus SHO 6.60 15.20
1991 Ford Taurus SHO 7.70 16.20
1992 Ford Taurus SHO 7.50 15.40
1993 Ford Taurus SHO 7.50 17.00
1995 Ford Taurus SHO 7.70 15.80

1989 Ford Thunderbird SC 7.40 15.90
1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 7.40 15.80
1995 Ford Thunderbird SC 7.00 15.20

1990 Pontiac Formula Firehawk 4.90 13.40
1991 Pontiac Firebird Formula 6.50 14.80
1991 Pontiac Trans Am Conv. 7.00 15.40
1993 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk 4.90 13.50
1993 Pontiac Firebird Formula 6.10 14.70
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 6.30 14.80
1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.80 14.10
1995 Pontiac SLP Firehawk 5.30 13.90
1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula 6.70 15.10
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.60 14.00
1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.80 14.30
1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.30 13.80
1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.10 13.40
Old 10-09-2000, 02:23 PM

Hehe. No, this is the real thing.

Originally posted by CoolMax
is it?
Interesting question though. Geez, has my random BSing reached such a point that yall really can't tell the difference. : )

BTW, what the heck happened to the SHO's in 1993?? Did they add dual-zone air conditioning that year or what?!

Old 10-09-2000, 02:27 PM

Booker...

I am not a ford fenatic, but I think the "sho" stands for super high output. and those cars were not to bad when they had the yamaha engine in them. Ford messed up the new sho by puting a ford engine in them.
Old 10-09-2000, 03:13 PM

Re: Booker...

Originally posted by 98MAX
I am not a ford fenatic, but I think the "sho" stands for super high output. and those cars were not to bad when they had the yamaha engine in them. Ford messed up the new sho by puting a ford engine in them.
Correct. Ford has used three suffix monikers in the 80's/90's, IIRC. SHO - Super High Output, SVO - Special Vehicle Operations (I owned an 86 Mustang SVO - faster'n hell), and SVT - Special Vehicle Team.

Old 10-09-2000, 03:37 PM

Hey man, u got really lucky. I got a friend that owns an '89 taurus sho and i wouldn't even try messin wit him. I ride with him every once in a while and he's lookin for people that want to pick with him. And everyone picks on hims and he toasts everyone. Modded mustangs and camaros can't keep up. And he's a high school senior, but he know's how to drive stick(to bad i don't)
Old 10-09-2000, 06:28 PM
jasonmeter

Those SHO's are fastI recently saw a stock 95 5 sp run 14.3 @98mph no seats. Great engine bad car

Old 10-09-2000, 06:44 PM

SHO (Slow Heavy..Outclassed)

NO actually they are a quick as a 5sp Maxima from
0-60mph....The Yamaha heads and dual trace intake
is a real gem of a motor....I always wanted Ford to
drop that SHO motor in a late model Probe GT...That car
had the looks, but FORD put the hot motor in the Taurus
whick has always looked like ****..They last year FORD
produced the SHO it was a 3.4litre DOHC "V8"...coupled
with a automatics trans only it was actually slower than
the 3.0 (5sp) and the 3.2 (auto) V6's...Nice motor ****ty
car
Old 10-09-2000, 10:23 PM

Wait a minute.

Originally posted by jasonmeter
Those SHO's are fastI recently saw a stock 95 5 sp run 14.3 @98mph no seats. Great engine bad car
14.3 stock? Something doesn't wash here. Take a look at this thread and the wide dispartey of answers to the question of how fast the SHO's are. Is this testimony to the wide flucation of build consistency with these Ford/Yamaha's or what? People have posted everything from 14.3 to 17.0 stock. What's REALLY going on? I raced one and destroyed it. Poor driving accounted for, it still did not pull very hard. Some other guy posted that his buddy routinely kills modded Mustangs & Camero's in a stock SHO. What the hell?

Old 10-09-2000, 10:28 PM

booker, i find it hard to believe that you walked away from the thunderbird sc. my friend has a '90 sc and he kicks my ***. even before he modded it, he could get out in front of me and stay ahead. i could come close to catching up but then he kept on crawling away from me. he must have figures that he beat you and stop racing, and you just kept going...
Old 10-09-2000, 10:31 PM
is invisible

That's like saying...

Originally posted by Gotrice4
Hey man, u got really lucky. I got a friend that owns an '89 taurus sho and i wouldn't even try messin wit him. I ride with him every once in a while and he's lookin for people that want to pick with him. And everyone picks on hims and he toasts everyone. Modded mustangs and camaros can't keep up. And he's a high school senior, but he know's how to drive stick(to bad i don't) [/I]
...I know this guy Don who lives in Texas.
Old 10-09-2000, 10:33 PM
is invisible

And what do you drive?

Originally posted by Bucktown
booker, i find it hard to believe that you walked away from the thunderbird sc. my friend has a '90 sc and he kicks my ***. even before he modded it, he could get out in front of me and stay ahead. i could come close to catching up but then he kept on crawling away from me. he must have figures that he beat you and stop racing, and you just kept going...
A stock VQ SE 5-spd should be able to run with/away from stock SC T-birds. :P
Old 10-09-2000, 10:36 PM
is invisible

Re: Wait a minute.

14.3 stock? Something doesn't wash here. Take a look at this thread and the wide dispartey of answers to the question of how fast the SHO's are. Is this testimony to the wide flucation of build consistency with these Ford/Yamaha's or what? People have posted everything from 14.3 to 17.0 stock. What's REALLY going on? I raced one and destroyed it. Poor driving accounted for, it still did not pull very hard. Some other guy posted that his buddy routinely kills modded Mustangs & Camero's in a stock SHO. What the hell?[/I]
That 17.0 time looks out of place, could be a misprint. But 14.3? Must be some damn good driving and some heavy thrones. )
Old 10-09-2000, 10:45 PM

NO WAY

Originally posted by Gotrice4

Hey man, u got really lucky. I got a friend that owns an '89 taurus sho and i wouldn't even try messin wit him. I ride with him every once in a while and he's lookin for people that want to pick with him. And everyone picks on hims and he toasts everyone. Modded mustangs and camaros can't keep up. And he's a high school senior, but he know's how to drive stick(to bad i don't)

Theres no damn way that a SHO kills any hooked up mustangs. They must all be four cylinders or something. Mustangs arent that fast stock, but you can make them quick as hell with a couple little mods. That' why my next car will be a 95 cobra. he he tell your buddy to bring it on. I bet my max will put a hurtin on his SHO.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-09-2000, 11:06 PM
jasonmeter

I saw the 14.3 with my own eyes not 2nd hand, and the owner should have no reason to lie, we didnt race and he beat my 96se aut 15.7 easily. 5sp are much quicker some cars may be autos

Old 10-10-2000, 09:56 AM

Regardless of how hard you find it to believe, the way I wrote it is exactly how it happened. Exactly. I nearly sucked that Ford right up my tailpipe. It was, litereally, no contest. Could it be that my car is simply faster than his? He didn't "stop racing", I just out accelerated him. He had a heavy @$$ automatic, in an already heavy @$$ car, 100% stock (except tail pipe tips...ooooo), with two dudes in it. I'm all alone in a 5-speed 4th gen, with an eighth of a tank of fuel, a Stillen/K&N intake, Stillen Y-pipe, custom cat-back, Eibach/Tokicos, and ultra light 17 inch wheels. I've never been to the track, but similar set ups have run mid to high 14's. That I killed that porky Ford should not be so hard to believe.

Old 10-10-2000, 10:35 AM

Regardless of how hard you find it to believe, the way I wrote it is exactly how it happened. Exactly. I nearly sucked that Ford right up my tailpipe. It was, litereally, no contest. Could it be that my car is simply faster than his? He didn't "stop racing", I just out accelerated him. He had a heavy @$$ automatic, in an already heavy @$$ car, 100% stock (except tail pipe tips...ooooo), with two dudes in it. I'm all alone in a 5-speed 4th gen, with an eighth of a tank of fuel, a Stillen/K&N intake, Stillen Y-pipe, custom cat-back, Eibach/Tokicos, and ultra light 17 inch wheels. I've never been to the track, but similar set ups have run mid to high 14's. That I killed that porky Ford should not be so hard to believe.
I believe you....I have similar mods, and the car's pretty quick.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:55 AM

Whats wrong with you guys don't you all think theres mods->

for a SHO and thunderbird SC. Stock for Stock I think a 5sp maxima can beat them. But the Thunderbird are superCharge add different pullies and say BY BY to a maxima, and they made a couple of them with a 5speed so watch out. The SHO can be pretty quick also with basic mods they can run in the 14s. But they are a ***** to launch of the line lots of wheelspin. I race 2 SHO and thats when I was stock and they were up on my *** hard but couldn't pass me.