General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

[newbie] maxima good choice for around $10k?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:52 PM

[newbie] maxima good choice for around $10k?

greetings maxima gurus

please excuse me if i am posting things that you guys have been replying to constantly... i do not have the option to search the forum.

I have been searching for a car lately, and have researched many different cars. However, they all seem to have their fair share of pro's and con's. (Preludes, Spec V's, 2.5RS Impreza, etc)

I came across the maxima not too long ago, and it seems like a pretty good car instead of what i have been considering before. I'm not really into speed, just need something that has decent power and wont rape me up the butt in the insurance department.

I will most likely be looking at 4th gen maximas... maybe a 5th gen if i can find it in the 10k range

My main questions are of as follows:

Reliability: just dropping in, i have already seen some threads regarding recalls and engine issues, how is the VG engine? keep in mind that this will be my first real car and i dont really have steady $$ for repairs.

Insurance: what should i be expecting to pay for these cars? any rough estimate for an 17-18 year old?

Gas Consumption: how is the maxima on gas? will it get decent mileage? will i have to run premium in it (hope not... gas prices are off the hook ?

Speed/Power: is there a case of torque steer on the maximas? if i wanted a little more umph, what would you recommend to upgrade?

Handling: how well does this car corner? handling is very important to me, much more than speed

Customizability: im more of a DIY kind of person, is this car easy to work on? IE: would i be able to lower my cars providing i have the right tools and such?

Any thing else? is there anything else i should know about these cars? if this car is a bad choice, what else would you recommend? is there a specific year i should avoid?

i believe thats it for now :P
thanks a bunch
Old 05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by e r y k
greetings maxima gurus

please excuse me if i am posting things that you guys have been replying to constantly... i do not have the option to search the forum.

I have been searching for a car lately, and have researched many different cars. However, they all seem to have their fair share of pro's and con's. (Preludes, Spec V's, 2.5RS Impreza, etc)

I came across the maxima not too long ago, and it seems like a pretty good car instead of what i have been considering before. I'm not really into speed, just need something that has decent power and wont rape me up the butt in the insurance department.

I will most likely be looking at 4th gen maximas... maybe a 5th gen if i can find it in the 10k range

My main questions are of as follows:

Reliability: just dropping in, i have already seen some threads regarding recalls and engine issues, how is the VG engine? keep in mind that this will be my first real car and i dont really have steady $$ for repairs.

Insurance: what should i be expecting to pay for these cars? any rough estimate for an 17-18 year old?

Gas Consumption: how is the maxima on gas? will it get decent mileage? will i have to run premium in it (hope not... gas prices are off the hook ?

Speed/Power: is there a case of torque steer on the maximas? if i wanted a little more umph, what would you recommend to upgrade?

Handling: how well does this car corner? handling is very important to me, much more than speed

Customizability: im more of a DIY kind of person, is this car easy to work on? IE: would i be able to lower my cars providing i have the right tools and such?

Any thing else? is there anything else i should know about these cars? if this car is a bad choice, what else would you recommend? is there a specific year i should avoid?

i believe thats it for now :P
thanks a bunch
The 4th and 5th gen Maximas use a VQ engine. (3.0Liter in 4th and 5th gens, 3.5 liter after 2002 aka 5.5 gen). They are solid engines with great reliability if properly maintained. Many members have over 200k on their cars.

Insurace depends on your record. If you have a clean record with no points, insurace will be fairly cheap (compared to all the other cars you listed) since the Maxima is a 4-door family sedan.

Expect around 20mpg for city and 24~25mpg highway. Our cars require Premium gas.

My 4th gen has a bit of torque steer but its nothing to be scared over (I upgraded from an integra, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from). The 5.5 gens with the 3.5L engine will have a bit more torque steer than you might be accustomed to, but it's nothing uncontrollable with a little muscle.

If you're concerned about better handling, you will have to make a few upgrades to the suspension. If you're not interested in getting new springs and stiffened struts, a rear sway bar will make a large improvement in handling without having to lower your car.

So far I've done my own intake/exhaust install and oil changes. I would say its very DIY-able.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Only if you can spend a little more.

The reason I say that is if it were someone I knew, I'd recommend a 2k2 or so. You can get a 6-spd, you got the 3.5, xenons, etc. Maximas don't hold their values very well, but unfortunately, 10 grand is still not enough for a 2k2. If you can spend 14.5-15.5, you could score a 2k2 if you look around hard.

You can easily afford any 4th gen you want with that budget, but I wouldn't recommend it. Dumb stuff like the EVAP, airbags, etc. are costly to fix at the dealer. Do you want to live with the blinking lights etc.if you spend 10 grand? Nah.......
Old 05-06-2005, 04:55 PM

ewuzh - yikes... something i didnt really want to hear. but if everything else works out well, then i guess premium wont be too bad

Frank - you dont recommend a 4th gen? i dont know what else i would get for 10k...
Old 05-07-2005, 08:48 AM

argh... why did they make so many automatic maximas! its so hard to come across a manual tranny.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:15 AM

I would take what Frank Fontaine said with a large grain of salt. There is nothing wrong with a 4th Gen Maxima provided the mileage is right. I would be inclined to look for a 1997 or 1998 low-mileage loaded 5-speed SE, and you would have some money left over in your budget to do any necessary maintenance. I would buy a stainless steel Budget y-pipe as the 1st performance enhancement.

Alternatively, you might find a 2000 Maxima within your budget, but I'm not sure what they're going for. I'd try and stay clear of the 99s because of their high incidence of coil problems.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:02 PM

rmurdoch, so steer clear of 99 max's? also, by low mileage, what would you consider "low"?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:10 PM

rmurdoch, so steer clear of 99 max's? also, by low mileage, what would you consider "low"?
To me, low is under 30k.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:47 PM

lol. 98 maxima with 30k... is like finding a diamond in an apple.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:41 PM

I have a 95SE, loaded, 5-speed, with 58K mostly highway miles. I have owned it since day 1. That's what I consider low. A rule of thumb used to be 12K per year was the annual average, but I believe in the US that has increased now to 15K, which is much higher than the annual average in Canada. Americans seem to do a lot of inter-state driving and longer commuting.

So say a 97 and 98 Maxima are 8.5 and 7.5 years old, respectively, assuming they were bought in the fall of 96 and 97. I would use 10K per year as a benchmark for low mileage. That would mean looking for a used 97 or 98 at between 75K and 85K as the ideal. More realistically you might want to accept anything between 90 and 100K.

A prime example of a good car is the loaded 98SE for sale in the .org classifieds with 72K on it (NYC car for sale by a graduating college guy). The only drawback is that it is autotragic.

These low mileage cars exist, but they are quite rare.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:09 PM

I just bought a 96 Maxima SE 5 spd Loaded with all the options (leather, dual power seats, climate control, sunroof, bose system) with slightly under 75,000. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor in and out and runs perfect, the orginal owner was **** about it, never eat, drank or smoked in it. I bought it for $6500. I have been getting 29 - 31 on the highway running it at 80 mph. Around town I have been getting 23 - 28. Though I have only been thru 5 tanks so far. My owner manual says that the maxima likes premuim gas for top performance but it is okay to run regular gas as long as you do not to run below 87 octane gas. That is what I have been doing with no knocking. Maybe because I'm older the performance seems fine for me. I do use synthetic oil, gear lube etc in all my vehicles which really do work.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:16 PM

I hear a quote years ago that said " If you own anything you can not let go you don't own it, it owns you" I took that to heart right out of college. So with that said I would sell my Maxima, but I would have to make a profit, if you are near by and interested. Besides, I need to get to 15 post so I can start a tread etc.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:58 PM

nasdog... that was nice to hear. seems like you are getting pretty good mileage on it.thanks for the input.

I live on the opposite side of the coast -_- but 6.5k is quite a steal.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nasdog
I have been getting 29 - 31 on the highway running it at 80 mph. Around town I have been getting 23 - 28. it is okay to run regular gas as long as you do not to run below 87 octane gas. That is what I have been doing with no knocking.
That's unbelievable...30mpg on highway driving @ 80mph?! I've never gotten over 25mpg, and thats all highway driving @ 70mph, accelerating lightly (shifting like a grandma) with revs always below 3000.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:43 PM

I was surprised that I got over 30 myself. I drove from Tampa, fl to Atlanta,GA since I bought the car in Tampa. I went 458 miles and still had between 1/8 and 1/4 gas. Pulled in to go the the restroom and filled it up since I was there. Took 15 gals which put it above the full mark. So far I have never gotten less than 370 miles between fill up. I'm very pleased, though I have read other treads where other are do the same and some that are not coming close.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Here's something to chew on: getting a low mileage car is no guarantee that it will be in better shape and give you fewer problems than one with higher mileage. It is all about how the car was maintained.

Case in point: when I sold my 1992 Maxima, it had 302,000 miles on it. Despite the high mileage, it looked better and ran better than a couple of cars I test-drove with 60K on them.

Really low mileage cars with early model years go for a very high premium that IMHO, belies their true worth. A low mileage car will usually have a warranty, and "Yes," having a car with a warranty can be a good thing. However, if the car spends most of its time on the rack instead of the road, then is it really such a good deal?

You need to find both a good car and a good dealer that will not only honor the warranty, but also do good work.

On that note, you might consider getting a "Certified" used car if the price fits your budget. Cars that are "Certified" by the dealership typically cost a lot more than comparable cars of the same year, make and model, but are usually in better condition and do come with a warranty.

Also consider that some model years in a series are better than others (the example of bad coils in the '99 is a good example).

Maxima engines will outlive the rest of the car, so there's nothing to worry about them. On the other hand, most electronics have an average life span of less than 10 years. The comment about all of the electronic sensors that Max's have is something to consider as well.

All in all, for $10K, there are only a handful of cars that I would consider buying, and, at the top of the list is the Max/I30. Others on my $10K list include the 1995-99 Acura 3.0 CL, 1995-1999 Acura Integra, 1999-2000 Honda Accord V6, and the 2000-01 Toyota Solara V6.

My present car is a 1998 I30 which has features that you will not find on many other cars even costing more than $10K such as side air bags, 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS, keyless entry, and HomeLink.

For the record, I bought my I30 with 117K on it. It is in perfect condition, both inside and out, and I paid $6,268 for it which includes tax, tag and title. That price gives me lots of spare jack to do a little modding of my own.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:56 PM

lol. 98 maxima with 30k... is like finding a diamond in an apple.
Not everything in a car is related to miles driven--some of the degradation involves pure age. A 98 with 30k, since it would have an LCD ODO, the first thing that would pop into my mind is salvage.

I'm not saying a 4th gen is a bad car, I have one. But I am the original owner and I know every little thing it has needed, down to the last detail.

Let me rephrase--if you want a 4th gen, get the figure of 10 grand out of your mind, they cost way less than that. Let's say you pick up a 98 for 6500. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt and assume it needs the EVAP service--take $450 off the price. Assume that the owner has reset the airbag computer and that the lamp will start flashing at some point after you buy. Subtract $700 for that service. These are not things that I am making up, these are things that people are posting on an almost daily basis wanting help with on their 4th gens. If the seller has paperwork showing that the repairs were made, then ok, pay $6500 with caution. Just because Maximas seem cheap, that doesn't mean they're cheap to repair. They really aren't.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp

For the record, I bought my I30 with 117K on it. It is in perfect condition, both inside and out, and I paid $6,268 for it which includes tax, tag and title. That price gives me lots of spare jack to do a little modding of my own.
There you go, what you paid is in the ballpark for a 98 Maxima that should provide problem-free service. Sounds like you were around $5800 or so. If your airbag lamp were blinking or you needed rotors or ball joints or EVAP service etc., your car would have been overpriced. I'm not sure where some people get their prices, and it makes me wonder if they really sold their 4th gen car for $1X,XXX or 7,XXX etc. But then it is caveat emptor.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
There you go, what you paid is in the ballpark for a 98 Maxima that should provide problem-free service. Sounds like you were around $5800 or so. If your airbag lamp were blinking or you needed rotors or ball joints or EVAP service etc., your car would have been overpriced. I'm not sure where some people get their prices, and it makes me wonder if they really sold their 4th gen car for $1X,XXX or 7,XXX etc. But then it is caveat emptor.
Price also really depends on the location, condition, number of previous owners, etc. My car was in immaculate condition, fully loaded 5spd (rare here), single owner, all the records, no accidents, clean title, all regular maintenaince performed, and California car = no rusting anywhere. For a car like this, I would be happy to pay a bit more.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM

I recently purchased my 97' I30 (nearly the same car as the Maxima) for $9,500. It came with 59K and was (and of course still is) in excellent condition. Hopefully I can give some insight from a recent buyer...

I can recommend an A32 (4th Generation, 95-99) Maxima or I30. I can't testify to the 5th gen, I’m sure others can.

I've found the stock performance to be quite good - plenty of power for the highway or zipping around town. If you need more, you can gain a good 20-30 horses from a relatively cheap ($300) Stainless Steel Y-Pipe, which is a DIY install, or take it to the shop for $90 more. Additionally, intakes are relatively simple installations which will yield a few more HP. Simply put, while staying all motor, the Maxima isn't going to match up against a BMW M3 or Audi S4, but it does very well on the open road. Bottom line, it’s likely more than fast enough.

Now, suspension is a different story. First off, the Maxima has a pretty high chassis - if you're going for looks or are going to get new wheels (15” come stock, most people here upgrade), a drop is almost always necessary - you'll be hard pressed to find a serious Max owner who hasn't replaced their springs/struts. Additionally, stock comes with a lot of body roll - similar to any mid-size sedan. It's not a small car, and the stock suspension fits it well, but it sounds like you're looking for something sportier. There are LOTS of options, ranging from buying individual springs or shocks that will run you $400, to coilover kits that range from $700. You can get a VERY respectable suspension upgrade in the form of a coilover system for about $800-900 - current favorites among 4th gen owners are the Tien Basics and Tokico Illuminas. These coilovers will give you a nice adjustable drop and real sporty feel while keeping the ride comfortable. Additionally, a rear sway bar ($200 or so) is a great addon for stabilizing the car and improving hard cornering and high-speed maneuvering. Bottom line, if you want a sporty ride, you’ll want to invest a few bucks in the suspension.

I wouldn’t be very concerned about reliability – common issues are oxygen sensors, etc. The VQ engine is great – reliable as can be as long as you take care of it. It needs premium fuel (91 or better), and many Org’ers swear by Synthetic oil. As far as mileage goes, I’ve only dealt with my car, which had relatively low miles (60K on a 97), but most around here will testify to the life of the engine – 100k is nothing, 200k is expected, 300k isn’t a surprise. Bottom line, buy one who has been treated well, and keep it up, and itt’l be great to you! I’d aim for under 100K.

Insurance depends on so many factors, you’d be hard pressed to get a real answer from any of us – your best bet is to call around and ask. You can expect relatively low rates compared to sportier cars.

Gas Consumption… it’s all over the place. Some people get great mileage (30+ highway), others are in the low 20’s – it seems to be largely a factor of how well maintained the car is (keep an eye on the usual suspects: plugs, fuel filter, oxygen sensors, etc).

While not the most mod-able car out there, it’s not so far behind. There are plenty of aftermarket parts and a great community to support the Max (even us I30 owners)! Most of the companies that manufacturer and/or resell aftermarket Maxima parts are sponsors of the Org – check out the Group Deals forum and keep an eye out for users with Green names – they are sponsors, and many are active participants here, and most own Max’s too.

One thing is for sure – should you decide to go with a Max, you’ll have a great community here to ask questions of, and there’s already an abundance of answers for each generation car – check the sticky post in each forum.

Of course, most people always have a “grass is greener” syndrome – they want the bigger and the better, and if you can afford it, there is bigger and there is better. I myself wouldn’t mind an M3 or a new G35, but I must say I’m very happy with my I30 purchase, and it’ll stay in the family for some time to come.

At the end of the day - give it a test drive... if you can get a good max for $7-8K and expect to put $1000 into the suspension, you should be happy. Additional purchases might include the Y-pipe ($300), cosmetic upgrades and new rims/tires… they should fit well within your budget.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:27 AM

If you get a 4th gen maxima in a 5-speed, be prepared for transmission problems ie worn differential bearings. And on any 4th gen maxima you have to worry about EVAP problems, O2 sensors, alternator, coil packs ect. All cars have their problems but I from just my personal experience I would avoid a 4th gen like the plague. If I could do it all over again I would have bought another accord. They don't have the power that the max has but power doesn't do you much good if the transmission won't last. Nissan owes us 4th gen 5spd owners an apology.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM

Blah blah blah bullsh*t. My oncle has 450,000 km on his 96 5-speed and it's got less repairs invested than his wife's 2001 Accord. Go brag about Hunduhs somewhere else, the brand vs brand debate is just beyond ridiculous at this point. Tell you what. When you buy a used car you're not gambling on brand, or even model, you're relying on BLIND F*CKING LUCK. Buying a used car is like walking in the dark. You could hit the cat, the TV, the sofa, walk through some spilled nails, or you could not hit anything at all.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Blah blah blah bullsh*t. My oncle has 450,000 km on his 96 5-speed and it's got less repairs invested than his wife's 2001 Accord. Go brag about Hunduhs somewhere else, the brand vs brand debate is just beyond ridiculous at this point. Tell you what. When you buy a used car you're not gambling on brand, or even model, you're relying on BLIND F*CKING LUCK. Buying a used car is like walking in the dark. You could hit the cat, the TV, the sofa, walk through some spilled nails, or you could not hit anything at all.

Ditto to the luck part. Lemons come in all flavors.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 AM

the brand vs brand debate is just beyond ridiculous at this point. Tell you what. When you buy a used car you're not gambling on brand, or even model, you're relying on BLIND F*CKING LUCK
That's why I only buy Kia's, and Suzuki's!! Used ones, no doubt!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:03 PM

Take your flameage somewhere else jerkoff. This guy was asking for opinions and I gave my PERSONAL opinion. Your opinion obviously differs from mine. Everything will be alright little canuck.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 PM

ok wow... awesome.

thanks to everybody who replied. i appreciate everything especially the stuff that i didnt want to hear. it was good read and i learned a lot.

now time for some more research -_-
Old 05-10-2005, 09:12 PM

this just sorta came across me, and im not sure this is the right place to ask about it...

but is the 2002 altima a good car also?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 PM

If you want an Altima, make sure you get the 3.5 liter version. It's the 3.5SE and they come in optional 5speed manual making it just as quick as the Maxima. Keep in mind, the Altima is a "cheaper" car so the interior (such as seats, and dashboard pieces, etc..) will not be as nice.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Chassis Freak

Bottom line, the 4th gen Maxima is a great car and a fantastic value thanks to the fact that Nissans depreciate more than other Japanese cars (meaning better deals if you buy used). I think it's generally agreed that 4th gens are slightly more reliable than the 5th gens, and many people, myself included, think that 4th gens were "the last good-looking Maxima". Don't worry about coil pack problems on 99s, there are benefits to 99s that outweigh that posibility (mainly the much-improved security system with a chip in the key).

I have a '99 5-speed with 85,000 miles and have had neither ignition coil probs nor transmission problems, but I've only owned it for a year (11,000 miles).

Nor this "airbag light" problem that Frank is mentioning...WTF, I've been around the Org for a long time and never heard of this problem...yet he's talking about it like all 4th gens have it.

PS, definitely take the extra time and effort to find a 5-speed, they are SO much more fun than auto Maxes. Noticeably more power to the wheels. And I still get 29 MPG highway with A/C on, even though 5th gear at 75 MPH is about 3000 RPM!