General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

High Compression test Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:15 PM
KFL

High Compression test Numbers

97 maxima 5sp se, 150k on it.
I did a compression test on it, results 210, 208, 211, 211, 212, 212

Since numbers are close engine should be okay but carbon build up?
May get a can or 2 of seafoam and drop that in engine/brake booster.
I think for some reason his intake manifold has excess carbon build-up as well.
Notes cylinder 6 had carbon build up on coilpack, all plugs were whiteish colored, cyl 2 had some oil around the plug.
Also I noticed some oil on the exhaust manifold bolts ..also a glob of oil on the tranny bellhousing dead center.?
Friend stated that oil light came on a few times when in neutral,checked oil was low.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:56 PM
aka UNCDooD

put a nitrous kit on the car and spray it. that'll clean some carbon build up off the pistons.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Could be the gauge is off a little too. How did carbon make it's way to the coil pack, thats pretty much impossible. What was on the #6 coil pack, corrosion? The oil on the plugs is just the valve cover seals starting to leak. Not a big deal, you can change them yourself with some basic tools. White-ish light colored plugs means it's running good.

That engine looks like it's in good shape. Have the intake cleaned correctly, (not Seafoam) find somebody who offers that service and find out which system they use. I know Champion makes one, 3M might as well. They clean the intake as well as the fuel injection system with cleaners that get tapped into your cars intake and fuel rail. They clean up everything including the combustion chamber and valves. Using Seafoam through the brake booster line misses the first half of the intake plennum and Seafoam doesn't clean your injectors. At 150K, a good professional clean up can make a differance in the way the engine feels.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:20 AM
KFL

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Could be the gauge is off a little too. How did carbon make it's way to the coil pack, thats pretty much impossible. What was on the #6 coil pack, corrosion? The oil on the plugs is just the valve cover seals starting to leak. Not a big deal, you can change them yourself with some basic tools. White-ish light colored plugs means it's running good.

That engine looks like it's in good shape. Have the intake cleaned correctly, (not Seafoam) find somebody who offers that service and find out which system they use. I know Champion makes one, 3M might as well. They clean the intake as well as the fuel injection system with cleaners that get tapped into your cars intake and fuel rail. They clean up everything including the combustion chamber and valves. Using Seafoam through the brake booster line misses the first half of the intake plennum and Seafoam doesn't clean your injectors. At 150K, a good professional clean up can make a differance in the way the engine feels.
The gauge is fine, I compression tested my 98 240sx with 175 across the board, standard being 179.
Coilpack 6 was filthy and turning into a bronwish color,carbon/dirt on the boot,shaft of it.Compared to other 5 it looked 3times as dirty or so.
My friend took it for fuel injection flush at midas last year.No noticeable difference still slow as a slug butt dyno.
I think the carbon is built up too much and is beyond using solvenents to break it down. Anyone have a link on taking the intake manifold apart??There aren't ports on the intake mani that can be exposed to get at the runners are there? My old accord had these were you could remove plugs to remove carbon deposits.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:39 AM
STFU n00b!

nope, nothing like that on a Maxima. the intake manifold is easy enough to remove though.

just run some seafoam or ATF through it and let it soak a while.. then get the engine nice and hot and suck a small amount of water through the smaller vacuum lines.. it'll sorta steam-clean the engine.. works well to remove the carbon deposits...

If that doesn't work, then just borrow a nitrous kit from someone and go play for a little while. it'll clean it up nice and quick.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 AM

my compression was higher than it should be before nitrous. Maybe now it's all right since I sprayed 2 bottles through the engine.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:34 AM
aka UNCDooD

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
If that doesn't work, then just borrow a nitrous kit from someone and go play for a little while. it'll clean it up nice and quick.

my thoughts exactly.