General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hunter Roadforce Wheel Balance (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 08:55 AM

I took my ride to a shop that had the Hunter system for a full balance......the works. For those that don't know what the Hunter Roadforce system is I direct you to the following link : Hunter Roadforce GSP9700. They basically have apply force via a roller to the wheel as they spin them. The roller is sensitive enough to tell which virbations are normal and which are not.

I handed over the keys and locks to the tech. He detailed the process to me, and the prices. He had warned me before when I had called that a full balance, which could involve removing the tires from the rim, could cost up to $150. Not exactly the $36 special at NTB. But I knew this comming in, so there was not a real shock.

I had a seat and pulled out my copy of latest Tom Clancy book to pass the time. Abut an hour or so later, the tech came out with the printed results. He showed me the high and low points of both the rim and the tire, how they were matched, and the before and after analysis. I had a sneaking suspesion that one particular rim was bent bent. But to my surprices I was wrong. That one rim was almost perfect. It was the opposite rim that thd a bad spot. It just so happens that I was hit in that spot, but the insurance company had the rim "repaired." Hmmmmm......

Getting her back on the highway, I was instantly aware that something had changed. Even at low stop and go stoplight traffic, it was smoother. When on the highway it was butter smooth. The rough spot that I used to have between 60 to 80 was almost invisible. There is still a small small small tiny spot at about 72, but nothing like it used to be. I will chock that one up to that left rear rim. Accelerating thru 90 is much smoother. She feels like a new car. Driving doing 85 feels like doing 60, its that smooth.

Overall it was the best $115 I have spent in a long time. I was tell ANYBODY who has the chance to get their wheels balanced by the Hunter to do so. Especially if you have aftermarket rims that are HARD to balance, like moi.

Just do it will ya.
Lovejoy
Old 10-10-2000, 09:58 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Lovejoy
I took my ride to a shop that had the Hunter system for a full balance......the works. For those that don't know what the Hunter Roadforce system is I direct you to the following link : Hunter Roadforce GSP9700. They basically have apply force via a roller to the wheel as they spin them. The roller is sensitive enough to tell which virbations are normal and which are not.

I handed over the keys and locks to the tech. He detailed the process to me, and the prices. He had warned me before when I had called that a full balance, which could involve removing the tires from the rim, could cost up to $150. Not exactly the $36 special at NTB. But I knew this comming in, so there was not a real shock.

I had a seat and pulled out my copy of latest Tom Clancy book to pass the time. Abut an hour or so later, the tech came out with the printed results. He showed me the high and low points of both the rim and the tire, how they were matched, and the before and after analysis. I had a sneaking suspesion that one particular rim was bent bent. But to my surprices I was wrong. That one rim was almost perfect. It was the opposite rim that thd a bad spot. It just so happens that I was hit in that spot, but the insurance company had the rim "repaired." Hmmmmm......

Getting her back on the highway, I was instantly aware that something had changed. Even at low stop and go stoplight traffic, it was smoother. When on the highway it was butter smooth. The rough spot that I used to have between 60 to 80 was almost invisible. There is still a small small small tiny spot at about 72, but nothing like it used to be. I will chock that one up to that left rear rim. Accelerating thru 90 is much smoother. She feels like a new car. Driving doing 85 feels like doing 60, its that smooth.

Overall it was the best $115 I have spent in a long time. I was tell ANYBODY who has the chance to get their wheels balanced by the Hunter to do so. Especially if you have aftermarket rims that are HARD to balance, like moi.

Just do it will ya.
Lovejoy
Very cool, I'll have to look into this.

Thanks for the report.

-Shing
Old 10-10-2000, 10:05 AM

Cool, there is one only two miles from my house!!!

Sounds like you made out good, thanks for the info.