General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

More thoughts on Maxima steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 03:06 PM

More thoughts on Maxima steering

For a long time I've tried to put my finger on what is lacking in the Maxima steering. Well now I have some ideas, because this week I drove the ML350/500, C230, Z4, and 745i.

Both the 745i and C230 have rather assisted steerings, not that much heavier than the Maxima. The ML's are in the middle, and the Z4 requires substantial effort, but it's a roadster.

So if we were to say the 745i has a boost level similar to the Maxima for argument's sake, what is different is the Max seems to have a range when it is in the center where the car responds less than at other points. A dead-on center feel, if you will. The BMW is completely linear, i.e. the center is simply a point that you cannot feel. The Maxima you can feel, and it's not a point, it's a "range."

So what's the difference? It's gotta be mechanics--I don't think Nissan designed the feel, that's just the end result. I'd be willing to drop $400-$500 if the Maxima could get that tight steering feel--I think it would make for a much different car. All this time I thought maybe it was the boost, but I don't think so now that I spent time behind the German wheels all in a short period.

You'd think I'd like the Z4 best as I had the top down today (the car they gave me was a manumatic) but surprisingly it was the ugly 745. That thing is a beast--mash the pedal to the floor and you're in for a surprise. It's hard to get used to the fact that everything is electronically controlled, down to the turn signals. Drive under a tree and get water dropped on the windshield, and the wipers turn on. 19's and sport seats that resemble a Porsche, and that's high style!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:49 PM

4th gen steering feel sucks. It ruins the otherwise pleasant driving experience.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's the way the suspension is set up at well. Heavy front end caster gives those cars, especially BMW their "feel". Take a look at the front struts in those cars, the caster angle is huge and changes as the steering angle changes. On a Mercedes, the camber angle changes drastically as the steering angle changes. The entire design of the front end plays a huge role on how the steering feels.

Unless your going to redesign the 4th gen Maxima front end, you'll never change the way it feels on the road.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 AM

why dont you just sell it and buy a BMW? You have been talking about this for years.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The steering on my 97se feels way more taut and better in comparision to my 95se. The 95 feels overboosted and totally disconnected from the road, whereas the 97 gives great feedback and inspires confidence at higher speeds. Anyone else share a similar experience?

Going back to the original topic, perhaps only certain year Maximas that exhibit that mushiness that we've grown to dislike. I, for one, really like the feeling that my 97 had (pre-accident)
Old 06-17-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by JustMaxin96
why dont you just sell it and buy a BMW? You have been talking about this for years.
I wouldn't sell the Maxima, since I bought it new. It doesn't get much anyway, it's a 98 SE so at most were talking high 4's. For that I'll just keep it.

But I hear you, I'm getting close to the point where the only reason I don't get a BMW is that I'm cheap. It's the penny-wise/pound foolish saying that will probably get me to pull the trigger, hopefully late 2k5 to mid 2k6, depending. A guy in the office who has a E65 7 Series said that it's highly recommended that one set aside 3-4k per year for maintenance, and he didn't seem to be joking! Lots of issues with iDrive...

I couldn't resist editing this post because I thought of something--before I got the Maxima new in 98, I was on a Volvo forum. I talked about the Maxima for about 1 1/2 yrs. and someone said the same thing (the first 4th gen I drove was a 96 SE 5-spd and I thought it was da bomb!)--why don't you get a Maxima already! *LOL*
Old 06-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
A guy in the office who has a E65 7 Series said that it's highly recommended that one set aside 3-4k per year for maintenance, and he didn't seem to be joking! Lots of issues with iDrive...
The famous BMW maintenance topic....

I own a 330i, got it new in 2001. The car has 95,xxx miles on it and basically ran flawless aside from oil changes and one set of brakes. Oil changes are every 10K miles on the car, given it holds 7 qts of synthetic oil. So basically it's had 10 oil changes and a set of brakes and tires over it's life. To be honest the BMW has cost less to maintain then my 99 Maxima. I just had the car tuned up and the front control arms replaced last week. That only cost me $400 bucks, my shop did the job for cost.

I'd trade my Maxima for a 5 series any day. They drive amazing, hold their value and honestly they don't cost much to maintain. It's a very well engineered vehicle that's built to for miles and speed.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The famous BMW maintenance topic....

I own a 330i, got it new in 2001. The car has 95,xxx miles on it and basically ran flawless aside from oil changes and one set of brakes. Oil changes are every 10K miles on the car, given it holds 7 qts of synthetic oil. So basically it's had 10 oil changes and a set of brakes and tires over it's life. To be honest the BMW has cost less to maintain then my 99 Maxima. I just had the car tuned up and the front control arms replaced last week. That only cost me $400 bucks, my shop did the job for cost.

I'd trade my Maxima for a 5 series any day. They drive amazing, hold their value and honestly they don't cost much to maintain. It's a very well engineered vehicle that's built to for miles and speed.
Interesting...I didn't know about the 7 qts--that implies a dry sump (check out the new C6 Z06 for more on that). My buddy had a 99 323i and just got a new 2k5 330 Performance Pkg. His 323 had some issues but I think it was one of the first E46's in the 323 flavor.

To be honest, if we're car lovers, I don't see why we have to drive a Maxima, hate Toyotas, Hondas, and think BMW's are hoity-toity. Drive one, or several different models, and one realizes they have very nice road feel.

I rode in my friend's wife's GLE (1999) yesterday and couldn't help but feel it was somehow smoother than mine, though it has only 63k. I wasn't hearing any rattles like I have for some reason. Maxima had a lot of potential imho even up to 2k3--probably a money thing where there isn't any for Nissan to dramatically improve it. BMW has events where they'll provide a 3, G35, and A4 so you can compare them side-by-side. I suggest everyone participate so you can have an objective opinion on which car is what. You owe it to yourself because it's your nickel!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
It's the way the suspension is set up at well. Heavy front end caster gives those cars, especially BMW their "feel". Take a look at the front struts in those cars, the caster angle is huge and changes as the steering angle changes. On a Mercedes, the camber angle changes drastically as the steering angle changes. The entire design of the front end plays a huge role on how the steering feels.
Our stock caster is between +2.0 to +3.5deg. What is BMW setting theirs up at? 4? 5?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Our stock caster is between +2.0 to +3.5deg. What is BMW setting theirs up at? 4? 5?
Can we find out, because is it anything that we can really change with modifications?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by JustMaxin96
Keep an eye out for flying pigs! The BMW will soon follow, lol.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Viscous
97 gives great feedback and inspires confidence at higher speeds.
I don't think I've driven any stock Maxima with a steering feedback that inspires confidence...
Old 06-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Lightly modded

Well keep in mind that the steering column is different in the 97-99 SE's compared to all other years/models. I was gonna swap one in during my engine swap but couldn't find a rack in time.
I drove a Boxster a few days ago at my valet job, and the steering made me wanna steal the car and never return. It was SOOO tight and linear. Going 15 mph and giving a little steering input really made the car turn immediately. Really made me hate our steering all over again.
If I remember correctly, I30krab did a variable boost steering column project, and he was very impressed with the results. I wish I could afford to do the same...
Old 06-18-2005, 07:03 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

i think my favorite steering is BMWs new active steering. I have to drive these things all day (i dont know why its hated so much) and i can tell you it makes the car a blast to drive and handle so well... I got to drive a 2004 530i for a few months and it happens to be one of my favorite cars ive driven so far. Except all the M5s
Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Interesting topic, i couldn't care about my steering. I also have a 99 E320. There is a different in steering feel, honestly I like my max better cuz of the road feel.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I love my steering. It's a family sedan did we all forget!
Old 06-18-2005, 09:13 PM

Mine is a family sedan, and its steering rivals that of sports cars in accuracy and feel... I don't feel that a 'family sedan' owner should be torchured by poor steering dynamics.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Interesting topic, i couldn't care about my steering. I also have a 99 E320. There is a different in steering feel, honestly I like my max better cuz of the road feel.
MB steerings are typically numb because they are a recirculating ball type vs. a rack and pinion setup.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Loe max
MB steerings are typically numb because they are a recirculating ball type vs. a rack and pinion setup.
You're incorrect. It has a rack and pinion set up on my benz, I have worked on my car and have seen the set up. Older mercedes back in the 80's have the recirulating ball, newer one used electrohydralic steering to have more road feel.

On that note of the german car steering, that i wanted to add is that you guys have to remember that with MB and BMW are RWD, so they are able to have more leverage with the steering set up. One of the things i like about my MB that it has excellent radius turning. With Maxima's, they are FWD, they can't really do much of room to do with the taut of steering, especially the radius turning, to think about it, how the front is cramed on the front wheels with in the tranny, CV-Joint, braking, struts, and the steering rack pinion.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:19 AM

You are correct, the E-class was one of the first MB with Rack and Pinion steering back in 1996.

If a Mazda 6, VW Jetta, VW Passat, Honda Accord can all have responsive steering, how come a Maxima can't?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Actually the CLK had the recirculating ball all the way up until 2003! Talk about ancient tech in new vehicle!

http://www.mbworld.org/models/2001/clkclass/specs.shtml
Old 06-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Loe max
You are correct, the E-class was one of the first MB with Rack and Pinion steering back in 1996.

If a Mazda 6, VW Jetta, VW Passat, Honda Accord can all have responsive steering, how come a Maxima can't?
True, you mention FWD vehicles. You could add Acura Integra and TL--it's ok to mention Honda products as long as you're not caring about the forum popularity contest and being objective instead. I'm not joking--try a Ford Focus, it doesn't have enough power but the steering is great.

I'm curious if the above were engineered, where with the Maxima they just installed it and got what they got. There's not much opportunity to refine the Maxima, it's not like people are racing them and reporting back to Tennessee!