General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What do you guys think...Turbo or Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM

hey. riding can be an OK thing if you are careful and try to avoid situation where other drivers can be dumb, cannot see you, ect. Yes, I am young also however I do have common sense. Everytime you even enter your car, you are putting your life in danger due to other drivers....its just quite a bit safer...but you can still easily die.

Yes cefiro8701, you may bash everything there is about riding a bike and yes, those pictures are real, but I can show you some **** that'd make you throw up due to car accidents.

To finalize MY point, both a 'turbo' max and a bike are both dangerous toys. Its just a chance one must be willing to take whenever they put the key into the ignition. Be as safe as YOU can, driving anything, anywhere. Thats all one can ask for before they travel.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM

personally...3000+lbs of metal makes a better armor than air...i never said it wasnt fun...i just think it should always be in a track....
Old 06-20-2005, 06:54 PM
ruffrida24444

after those pics.... SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

-ahh verdy verdy wise young son.....

Old 06-20-2005, 08:19 PM

take an honest look at yourself and your driving habits. do you really think you'll ride safely or do you think youre gonna be lane splitting at 130 on the highway in shorts? if you think youre gonna ride responsibly and not do some of the dumb **** that crotch rocket riders are known for then you might wanna wait on a bike til you can at least ride without wiping out because of something stupid you did. whether you spend the money on a turbo or not is your choice, it will make a difference but will it make $4k worth of difference? but regardless, i will back up what chenzarino said and take the MSF course. it teaches you how to maneuver slowly (which despite what it looks like is the hardest part of riding) and how to have eyes on the back of your head. it helps you be more aware of everyone around you to hopefully avoid someone else even if they dont see you.

i got a crotch rocket when i was 21 a yr before i got the max and i dont regret it at all. ive been riding for 2 yrs now and ive been lucky to a point so far not to crash on my own, but i have had to avoid a few people who didnt see me. it is a little unnerving to be sitting at an offramp waiting to merge onto a road and hear squealing tires and look in your rear view mirror and see a truck coming up real fast behind you.

i paid $4k for my bike. to get a stock car that will do the 1/4 mile in the 10s you prob have to shell out at least 250k+. to get the maxima to do the 1/4 in the 10s would cost a lot more than a brand new bike. you can probably get a maxima to handle like its on rails, but you'll sacrifice some ride quality. throw a good set of tires on a bike and grow some ***** and its a lot of fun. its a trip leaning off the seat in a corner and dragging peg, you cant get that in a car.

bike can hold 1 chick maxima can hold 4 chicks. true statement. in my experience the girls are definitely attracted to the bike but theyre also impressed by the max. you want 4 chicks at once take the max, you want one take the bike. that shouldnt really sway your decision.

thers always gonna be people telling you one thing or another. post this question on a car forum 99% of people without a bike will tell you youll die on a bike get a turbo. post the question on a bike forum and 99% of the people there will tell you even tho its dangerous to get a bike.

sorry for the long post. since i ride both i know both sides of the coin. im not gonna push doing either one. you know how you ride and you know how you'll probably ride on the bike. if you do get a bike make sure you take the MSF (plus in some states you get an insurance break) and wear your gear. you obviously know the risks of riding a bike and what the benefits of a turbo are. its up to you
Old 06-21-2005, 07:30 AM

Does anyone else find it funny that people are telling him to be safe and get a turbo? Obviously you're not going to get the turbo without getting tempted to race. Believe me sooner or later you're going to get hurt this way. So in retrospect, neither choices are safe. Personally, I think you should save your money. YOu're 18 and getting ready to go to college (i hope) and believe me, college is not cheap. I'm not even talking about academics either. You'll find that your social life will be an expensive one to maintain. Parties, eating out, road trips, spring break it all adds up. You'll appreciate having the comfort of not worrying about money when you get there and you don't have to go about begging your folks for the extra cash you need to do things.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
if you ride defensivly and offensivly you can accomplish not being killed as easy. YOu just have to watch your back. Riding on a bike makes you a better drive cause it makes you think without 3000 pounds of metal around you. There is nothing wrong with having a bike at your age. I am just a year older than you and it was one of the best things i have ever done. Unlike most 18 - 24 year olds out there just be safe and not stupid and you will get alot further than some.
couldnt have said it better myself....
Old 06-21-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by vettefever5
take an honest look at yourself and your driving habits. do you really think you'll ride safely or do you think youre gonna be lane splitting at 130 on the highway in shorts? if you think youre gonna ride responsibly and not do some of the dumb **** that crotch rocket riders are known for then you might wanna wait on a bike til you can at least ride without wiping out because of something stupid you did. whether you spend the money on a turbo or not is your choice, it will make a difference but will it make $4k worth of difference? but regardless, i will back up what chenzarino said and take the MSF course. it teaches you how to maneuver slowly (which despite what it looks like is the hardest part of riding) and how to have eyes on the back of your head. it helps you be more aware of everyone around you to hopefully avoid someone else even if they dont see you.

i got a crotch rocket when i was 21 a yr before i got the max and i dont regret it at all. ive been riding for 2 yrs now and ive been lucky to a point so far not to crash on my own, but i have had to avoid a few people who didnt see me. it is a little unnerving to be sitting at an offramp waiting to merge onto a road and hear squealing tires and look in your rear view mirror and see a truck coming up real fast behind you.

i paid $4k for my bike. to get a stock car that will do the 1/4 mile in the 10s you prob have to shell out at least 250k+. to get the maxima to do the 1/4 in the 10s would cost a lot more than a brand new bike. you can probably get a maxima to handle like its on rails, but you'll sacrifice some ride quality. throw a good set of tires on a bike and grow some ***** and its a lot of fun. its a trip leaning off the seat in a corner and dragging peg, you cant get that in a car.

bike can hold 1 chick maxima can hold 4 chicks. true statement. in my experience the girls are definitely attracted to the bike but theyre also impressed by the max. you want 4 chicks at once take the max, you want one take the bike. that shouldnt really sway your decision.

thers always gonna be people telling you one thing or another. post this question on a car forum 99% of people without a bike will tell you youll die on a bike get a turbo. post the question on a bike forum and 99% of the people there will tell you even tho its dangerous to get a bike.

sorry for the long post. since i ride both i know both sides of the coin. im not gonna push doing either one. you know how you ride and you know how you'll probably ride on the bike. if you do get a bike make sure you take the MSF (plus in some states you get an insurance break) and wear your gear. you obviously know the risks of riding a bike and what the benefits of a turbo are. its up to you

alot of great things have been said on this post, sure theres the typical you will kill urself reply, but the above is a great explanation. if u want the company/responsibility for people with u (more than one, get the turbo)
if u want to be free and i mean completely free... get a bike there is no other feeling like it..... and i swear to u, as long as u remeber other people and take the MSF course u should be ok. DO NOT GET A HAYABUSA or any other high cc motorcycle to start on.... get a 600/750 not race spec edition either....
i recommend something like a katana, or a cbr f4i.... even if u are the best driver there are still the dreaded women in suvs... I live in a rural area to where every other vehicle i meet on the curves is a suv,minivan, driven by a women generally who is not paying attention on her cell phone... if u always look 3 seconds ahead. (be looking at the end of the curve while your just beginning the curve) u should be able to avoid any mishaps with the above stated vehicles which tend to drift into my lane regularly.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:27 AM

If you really want a turbo.... TURBO BIKE!!! slap a T3 on there and rock out
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 AM

i have a bike and a turbo car. i love them both. but i am giong to sell the bike for safety reasons. i already fell off once and only suffered a burned leg. i was lucky. i like to drive fast and with a crotch rocket, i always push its limits. i would like to get a cruiser though. smoething i can drive nice and calm and cruise.

like many people have said, a bike is very dangerous. you can have a fast car with some kind of safety. a car you can drive year round also. good luck man.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 AM

Had a crotch rocket in highschool. Wrecked it within the first year I had it. Left femur, tibia, ankle shattered. Titanium rods from hip to knee and knee to ankle, screw and plate to hold the ankle together. Missed junior year of highschool, year of rehab. Still a slight limp especially after walking long distances or strenuous exercise. I was supposed to attend the Naval Academy, but could not pass the physical due to the accident. Wanted to be a police officer, but could not pass the physical due to the accident. Not saying no to the bike, but just think about it real hard.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Had a crotch rocket in highschool. Wrecked it within the first year I had it. Left femur, tibia, ankle shattered. Titanium rods from hip to knee and knee to ankle, screw and plate to hold the ankle together. Missed junior year of highschool, year of rehab. Still a slight limp especially after walking long distances or strenuous exercise. I was supposed to attend the Naval Academy, but could not pass the physical due to the accident. Wanted to be a police officer, but could not pass the physical due to the accident. Not saying no to the bike, but just think about it real hard.
damn that sucks... i feel you on the police thing.

If you do get a bike, Sprinty always said stay away from anything over 600cc for a first bike. Ur *** will get owned... also, even if you are the best driver in the world other drivers arent... accidents happen all the time... just think about what would happen to you. Turbo95max (iirc) was just crusing through traffic congestion and some guy opened his door and he flipped off his bike... prolly not even going fast.

Anyways, good luck with whatever ur choice is.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Wow, you guys missed what he said completely. Bike = GETTING pus*y, not being a pus*y.

That's classic guys... not very smooth with the ladies are we.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:00 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
i'm not saying that i can beat a bike off the line. i'm saying that i can turn faster then the bike. i'm not saying all bikes, but i have turned faster than a lot of bikes. i drive the turnpike or parkway to school everyday, so i know the road like the back of my hand n know how fast i can go on each turn, since i try to push it 1mph more each time. maybe it was the person who was driving the bike. but all i know is that i am POSSIBLE n have DONE it, turning faster than a bike.
so you race bikes on curves and beat them?... i am just going to call straigh BS on this .

unless they are unexpirienced or not even trying to race you you are full of ****...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 PM
SEdge

and i wouldn't exactly call driving the turnpike or parkway riding "turns". I'm pretty sure he went faster than the bikes because he was trying to go faster than them, and they were just riding to their destination.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SEdge
and i wouldn't exactly call driving the turnpike or parkway riding "turns". I'm pretty sure he went faster than the bikes because he was trying to go faster than them, and they were just riding to their destination.

i dont think youre beating them...i just think they trying to stay away from your death machine...i don't think you'll beat a bike at anything...except for a bigger number at the weighing scale...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
i say turbo your car for now, im not calling myself old, but you're only 18, save the crotch rocket for later.
since you are 18 save the bike for later when you get more mature (not that you're not - I don't know you) but it will be better later in life SO turbo it or save the money for a rainy day.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 PM

hrmm i didn't read through the whole thread but i say get the turbo...

18 is too young to die.. wait a few years...

i've been stuck in the same position many times and i keep ending up buying something else other than a bike, now i'm saving up again for the turbo kit.. then i'll get the bike..

hahaha...

it's not right for parents to burry their own children, just remember that.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
since you are 18 save the bike for later when you get more mature (not that you're not - I don't know you) but it will be better later in life SO turbo it or save the money for a rainy day.
nice bike man....is that a raven?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 AM

hahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha beat a bike thru curves........ maybe a in experienced rider.. did the guys u supposedly "race thru curves" actually lean during these curves???
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by PARALLEX
hahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha beat a bike thru curves........ maybe a in experienced rider.. did the guys u supposedly "race thru curves" actually lean during these curves???
4 wheels generally handle better than two.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:33 AM

yea but u can lean at more of an angle on a bike then u can lean a car... basic balancing issues
Old 06-22-2005, 09:47 AM

A bike will outhandle a car any day of the week(Except Harleys). Hell, my old 89 Katana will outhandle most new production cars even with modified suspensions. And it is definitely the rider who makes the difference.

Anyways, here's a solution to your problem: Buy a house instead.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 AM

im getting a bike 1 about 1 month we can shop for both of our bikes togeather
Old 06-22-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm planning on getting a nice old school Honda cruiser bike next year, and then maybe step up to a fast bike when I'm older. I think you should do the same, as motorcycle accidents are highly likely.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Getting a bike makes you feel superhuman, I wouldn't recommend it to young people, sense of judgment is pretty flawed until about 26+, you take more risks. My cousin got killed on a bike. Getting a turbo kinda does the same thing but at least you are safer in a car.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Getting a bike makes you feel superhuman, I wouldn't recommend it to young people, sense of judgment is pretty flawed until about 26+, you take more risks. My cousin got killed on a bike. Getting a turbo kinda does the same thing but at least you are safer in a car.

depends upon how mature u are not ur age, really come on man....

no offense, but i am 21 and i have extremely good sense of judgement.
i used to be wreckless but after having 2 kids that has all changed..
i have had my bike for over 2 years with no wrecks. i am not stupid nor do i choose to drive my bike stupidly
sorry about ur cousin but was he a responsible driver?? did he take the msf course??? or was he careless and thought he was superhuman.. Like ur above statement states that getting a bike makes u superhuman.. it should make u SUPER CAREFUL. having a bike is having responsibility for your actions, by what u do/and or are capable of, in the machine u have chosen to drive..
Old 06-24-2005, 10:29 PM

I think Mximus bought a bike..... and died?

I hope not.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:17 AM

for about $5000 you can get yourself a 10 sec crotch rocket,how much money will you have to spend for your max to do that
Old 06-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'd say get the bike. The turbo is going to be a hole in your wallet.

My two wheel toy.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Administrator

wow there are alot of ignorant bike comments in this thread..

get a bike if:

1) you plan to spend $1000 on the proper gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots)
2) you plan to buy a bike you can learn on without killing yourself
3) you plan to take an MSF http://www.msf-usa.org class to learn how to ride properly..

if not.. get a turbo
Old 06-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
i'm not saying that i can beat a bike off the line. i'm saying that i can turn faster then the bike. i'm not saying all bikes, but i have turned faster than a lot of bikes. i drive the turnpike or parkway to school everyday, so i know the road like the back of my hand n know how fast i can go on each turn, since i try to push it 1mph more each time. maybe it was the person who was driving the bike. but all i know is that i am POSSIBLE n have DONE it, turning faster than a bike.
you can turn faster than the idiot on the bike.. not the bike..

i will bet you $2000 your maxima can't go around a corner faster than i can on my bike
Old 06-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pimpmobile
hayabusa!
but keep it for the track, i dont think ya wana get smuked by an absent minded overworked mom. My max deals with enough of thoese

you are a dumbaS$ for suggesting a busa as a first bike
Old 06-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I'd say get the bike. The turbo is going to be a hole in your wallet.

My two wheel toy.
my 600 > ur two wheel toy

Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Sports Button FTW

i'm scared sh*tless of bikes but it all depends on how u gonna use it. I rather have a slow dependable classy nice looking car and a fast and great for cruising around town bike than a fast car only. Summer is just starting, you gonna see a lot of people on bikes, just chillin and its gonna strengthen your decision even more...just sucks u gotta wait an entire year. Im too impatient to make long term decisions like that, i would have rushed to the turbo just cause its closer lol.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Sports Button FTW

if your main purpose is speed, dont buy a bike, turbo the max or sell the max and invest in a very fast car with RWD or something, like a used turbo neon. I hate seeing people race on bikes, and i'm a fan of street racing...thats just instant death right there...too much can go wrong.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 AM
The original VQ...

just remeber, with a bike you must watch out for yourelf and the people around you.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:57 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Ûñç£è §Þ®ïñ†ý
my 600 > ur two wheel toy

hey man did you have to cut the fairing to get the slider on one of the sides......looking at the GSX-r fairings it looks like i have to cut alittle bit on one side.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:30 PM

get the bike, it'll make you a better driver but you gotta ride safe or else...... -50% of bike accidents involve intoxicants
Old 06-25-2005, 04:32 PM

also don't listen to what ppl tell you look up insurance quotes yourself its really pretty cheap for a 500cc motorcycle even for an 18 yr old plus you'll save money on gas and repairs on maxima plus time when your zipping through traffic
Old 06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
hey man did you have to cut the fairing to get the slider on one of the sides......looking at the GSX-r fairings it looks like i have to cut alittle bit on one side.
nope.. i bought the no cut frame sliders.. i got them off ebay

Quick Reply: What do you guys think...Turbo or Bike?