General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

hydrolocked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hydrolocked?

Today I was on my way to work and it was raining hard, I ended up hitting a very deep area of water and when I realized it, I pulled it out of gear and let it coast. It ended up stalling out and for some reason I tried to start it again but it got no crank, like the battery didnt have enough juice. I was not too far from work so I pushed it and then got some help to get it in the parking lot. The car acts as if the battery it close to being dead and it does not turn the starter.

I am lowered and have a place racing style cai so there is a big chance that I hydrolocked. When I went to disconnect my pipe from my maf, I noticed that the plastic adapter was cracked so maybe it sucked the air from there instead of the filter. It didnt seem like there was any water where the maf was around but there was some drips in the cai piping, but it maybe have been from the rain when removing the pipe.

Im going to go into work early and pull all the plugs, and jump it and trying starting it up. That should get rid of any water in the cylinders. It may have not hydrolocked so the batter could have shorted out. Is there anything wrong with cranking while there is no spark plugs. Any help will be great, Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:33 AM

Before cranking it over with no plugs, pull your fuel pump fuse and disconnect your injector connectors.
This is actually part of the procedure for checking engine compression.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will do that. For the cylinders on the firewall side, is there one single harness for those 3 injectors. I remember reading about that, it would be difficult to unplug the injectors under the manifold. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:10 PM

I pulled the plugs and one was wet, the others had a light green shade on them. I checked each cylinder with a flashlight and cylinder 1 (passenger side, next to firewall) had water in it. It was not enough to cover the entire cylinder, it covered about half. I am going to try to suck out much as possible and then start it up. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 AM

I got most of the water out possible and then put all the plugs in and tried cranking it, after a few cranks it started up with a terrible tapping sound
Sounds like a valve was bent and it is tapping, the tapping increases with rpm and the exhaust has a poping/missing sound. Is it the valves? I drove it 30min back home and it was fine, is it safe to drive it like this or will it just go one me sometime soon?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:19 AM

sounds like you may have bent either a rod or a valve, unlike air and fuel, water does not compress, so typically when the piston is on the compression stroke, you'll end up bending or breaking a rod. Take it to a mechanic and have him listen, but chances are if it sounds like a rapping sound or a thunk-thunk-thunk, it's ur rod hitting the side of your block, and now it's time for a VQ35 swap...
Old 07-10-2005, 09:28 AM

Ill check with my mechanic to see what he thinks it is but to me it sounds like the valve. Im trying to decide which engine to swap with, VQ35 sounds good but I do not think I will be able to get it done quick enough so I might just replace it with a low mileage engine. Can I still drive it around with a bent valve? Idle and driving around still seems to be smooth.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:57 PM

you'll be ok, but i wouldnt do it for very long, aside from no running properly, the valve could really foul up and mess up you heads.....Go with the VQ35 swap...your tires will hate you, but it's worth it every time you stomp the gas!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:03 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

there is an engine on e-bay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...985367067&rd=1
Old 07-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check out your insurance company

Hi ,

Did the self same thing about 1 1/2 ago and it was with my Merc..

The engine was a total write off and the insurance bought me a brand new replacement vehicle..

Maybe they will buy you a new engine ???

You can only ask ...