General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MAACO Auto paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 07:15 PM

Hey guys and gals,

What do you think of MAACO paint jobs? Any personal experience? I guess it's kinda late to ask seeing that I already left my car with them but just wanted to hear everyone's opinions. Thanks
Old 05-21-2001, 07:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kingston,
I was wondering about this my self. Their prices seem almost too good to be true. I find it hard to believe that they can do a good job for $300 or so.

BTW, what package did you order. I hope you'll let us know how it turned out. My '95 has definitely lost some of its luster, particularly on the bumpers. WAs thinking about Maaco repaint in the same color.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hope you don't mind them not repairing the door dings. It's hard enough getting just the paint for $300. Expect it to last a year.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:03 PM

well i have a 92 GXE. It's been in a major accident before my cousin gave it to me. Some dumbass in a Dodge Ram backed into me. I got some money for the accident and ended up changing the fender myself. I don't have any dings around my car except for a little one that i sort of popped out from the fender i got from the junkyard.

I'm painting my car midnight blue and I will be picking it up tomorrow . Anyhow, I got the Ultra-Erethane paint with Prep Plus and Poly Lok. changing color from pearl white to midnight blue and they are painting the doorjambs and underhood and trunk. total is $615. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. See y'all later
Old 05-21-2001, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Rutnick
hope you don't mind them not repairing the door dings. It's hard enough getting just the paint for $300. Expect it to last a year.
its sort of like painting ur car with water colors... just waterproof..somewhat

they only use like 2 or 3 layers of paint and like one clear coat..not to mention what they dont paint. i dont know what every thing is called so i'll make it simple... they only paint what can be seen from the exterior.. if you open the door, the side and inside of the door will be ur original color....

my friend had it done there and by 6-7 months, we were all sitting outside picking the paint off his car with our fingernails...

btw, he paind around $400 for it all...probably not what kingston got, i hope not...

good luck!
Old 05-21-2001, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kingston
Hey guys and gals,

What do you think of MAACO paint jobs? Any personal experience? I guess it's kinda late to ask seeing that I already left my car with them but just wanted to hear everyone's opinions. Thanks
Don't do it. My cousin had his car painted there. They never sanded the paint off his bumpers and the paint peeled off within a year. They sure took his money tho.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:13 PM

THEY SUCK

Maco gives people good prices to make the offer seem more appealing. To them like for everyone else time is money so they do a ****y job sanding the cars before they paint them.
They average about 4 hours of sanding per car and that is not enough time to do a good job on one hood alone.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:23 PM

well i get a 4 year warranty so at least i have that to fall back on if something gets messed up
Old 05-21-2001, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maaco is very bad quality paint and work. I got my car painted there after a minor ding and now I have 2 clearly different colors. The front bumper is now a distinct darker shade than the rest of the car. Also, when I was looking behind the bumper, they clearly did not mask anything off, and paint was sprayed everywhere. Every time I look at the bumper I regret having gone to Maaco. If you care about the way your car looks, do not take it there.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:05 AM
MILLENIUM MAX

so are there any other big name paint shops that do good paint jobs for a reasonable price?

Old 05-22-2001, 11:00 AM
mrdeucie

"You get what you pay for".

For a decent paint job you should be looking to spend upwards of $1500.

Old 05-22-2001, 11:33 AM

My friend had an older car painted at a MAACO in Maryland. We stopped by to check and found them painting his car OUTDOORS and found other freshly painted cars drying OUTDOORS also. (We were able to peek above a cement fence behind their shop). Anyway, we later found what we knew would appear - dust and other specks of dirt in the paint.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:52 AM
Guy with the Orange Max

I had gotten my passenger side mirror replaced and took it to Maaco to get painted. They did a crappy job, didn't clean up the edges. It's a different color white as well. Which I guess is understandable because the pearl white is a lil hard to match up, but they took like 3 days to do it as well!! It really should've only took 1 day! $40 down the drain. Shoulda looked around more. Oh well.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:35 PM

A friend of mine had his old Celica done there and it turned to dust within a year. "You get what you pay for" is pretty much it. I just had my hood re-done at the best shop in my home town and paid $468 just for the hood. Looks perfect, though. They prepped, painted and installed my body kit too.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:42 PM

We should have an anti-vendor sticky