General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

just found this on the celica board...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 06:59 AM

Former 91 GTS owner, now 2K Maxima SE owner has
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some questions about the new GTS....

First of all I loved my 91 GTS...most reliable car I've ever owned...wish I still had it but alas it got crunched a year ago and never ran the same so.....off it went...never really considered the new GTS at the time I bought my Max...so.....

What kind of problems have you guys had? Just being a lurker here I have seen the mishifts blowing trannys threads, sunroof visors staining and rattling, cd's skipping....not enough low end tourque...(did I miss anything?)

I seriously miss driving a standard but ruled out the 5 spd Max because of a pretty serious problem with the idle control valve making the car pretty much undriveable at slow speeds...

I've had the Max for since the end of June and is a pretty decent car....this sucker absolutely flys when you drop the hammer however I almost put the thing thru the guardrail trying to drive it like my GTS

Its a long story but for various reasons(mostly the really crappy build quality of Nissan) I'm contemplating dumping the car and going back to Toyota...most of the problems are minor but bothersome....way to many rattles for a 20K + car to have, and lets just say I'm going thru my 3rd set of engine mounts and ECM's..(trying to diagnose a noise)

I used to love driving my GTS just for the fun of it......is the 2K GTS that different? Seems to be.....

Well......what do you think? back to Toyota? Not sure if I can handle the drop in power

Tell me the goods and bads of your GTS's..

thanks

Grape

_____-----------------------------------

he also posts later:

And someone set me straight here...the second cam doesnt kick in until when? 6000 or 6800 rpm? How in the heck do you get the revs up that high??? I think cruising at 90 in my Max the rpms are a tick under 3k....how often to you guys get the revs that high???

---------------------------

ummmmmm forgive me if i'm wrong but 90mph @ 3k???? not in my maxima!

Robert aka biomax

Old 10-11-2000, 07:29 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Hmmmm.....Well, I can tell you that my 94 Max ->

Auto runs at 3k @90MPH. But that's the VG motor, so that's nowhere near an accurate comparison.

But, my 99 runs at around 80 at the 3k mark. That's an auto as well.

I was always under the impression that the 4th gen 5-speeds didn't "cruise" at an RPM as low as automatics, so that does sound odd.
Old 10-11-2000, 08:19 AM
The missing moderator

Remember teh guy said he had an auto.. so it's possible.

Originally posted by Biomax
Former 91 GTS owner, now 2K Maxima SE owner has
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some questions about the new GTS....

First of all I loved my 91 GTS...most reliable car I've ever owned...wish I still had it but alas it got crunched a year ago and never ran the same so.....off it went...never really considered the new GTS at the time I bought my Max...so.....

What kind of problems have you guys had? Just being a lurker here I have seen the mishifts blowing trannys threads, sunroof visors staining and rattling, cd's skipping....not enough low end tourque...(did I miss anything?)

I seriously miss driving a standard but ruled out the 5 spd Max because of a pretty serious problem with the idle control valve making the car pretty much undriveable at slow speeds...

I've had the Max for since the end of June and is a pretty decent car....this sucker absolutely flys when you drop the hammer however I almost put the thing thru the guardrail trying to drive it like my GTS

Its a long story but for various reasons(mostly the really crappy build quality of Nissan) I'm contemplating dumping the car and going back to Toyota...most of the problems are minor but bothersome....way to many rattles for a 20K + car to have, and lets just say I'm going thru my 3rd set of engine mounts and ECM's..(trying to diagnose a noise)

I used to love driving my GTS just for the fun of it......is the 2K GTS that different? Seems to be.....

Well......what do you think? back to Toyota? Not sure if I can handle the drop in power

Tell me the goods and bads of your GTS's..

thanks

Grape

_____-----------------------------------

he also posts later:

And someone set me straight here...the second cam doesnt kick in until when? 6000 or 6800 rpm? How in the heck do you get the revs up that high??? I think cruising at 90 in my Max the rpms are a tick under 3k....how often to you guys get the revs that high???

---------------------------

ummmmmm forgive me if i'm wrong but 90mph @ 3k???? not in my maxima!

Robert aka biomax
Old 10-11-2000, 01:37 PM

HA ha ha, this guy is always on th 5th gen board *****ing about his car. I dont remember his name but if you go over there you will find his posts. Damn whiner....
No rattles in my car!

Adam