General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is the size of the Maxima Lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 09:31 PM

I'm trying to order the H&R Wheel spacers, but I need to know the shoulder size of the lug, it's either 14,15 or 12.85 according to Carparts.com Which one is it? Thanks.

Jeff
www.ap-signworks.com
Old 05-24-2001, 09:55 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't know the answer to your question, but i've heard that wheel spacers are bad for our car. I'm not sure why, but someone must know (if it's true)
Old 05-24-2001, 10:41 PM

i'm not really sure what you are asking but the actual lug size is 12.125 and if you are looking at wheaather it's a 3/4 or 13/16 it's wheather or not it will fit on the wheel i have i think 15mm spacers on my car but don't quote me on that i'll have to check at work and make sure those are the one's i grabbed i'll let chu know tommorow what size i have..
Old 05-25-2001, 04:22 AM
Master Will

Here............

12MM x 1.25",
Old 05-25-2001, 08:25 AM

Wheel spacers themselves aren't bad, it's when you use them without longer studs like I'm doing now that's bad. That's why I'm going to H&R's, they include the longer stud. Without wheel spacers, my wheels wouldn't clear my Z brakes so it's a necessary evil.

Originally posted by NickStam
I don't know the answer to your question, but i've heard that wheel spacers are bad for our car. I'm not sure why, but someone must know (if it's true)
Old 05-25-2001, 08:40 AM

Heh, I am driving on 4 studs right now on the front passenger side, damn Town Fair Tire tighten one damn lugnut too tight and it stripped when I took them off to change brakes, damn numnutz!

- ßaller
Old 05-25-2001, 05:45 PM

Wheel lug replacement instructions

Originally posted by ßaller
Heh, I am driving on 4 studs right now on the front passenger side, damn Town Fair Tire tighten one damn lugnut too tight and it stripped when I took them off to change brakes, damn numnutz!

- ßaller
This repair can be done by the home mechanic.

Buy a new wheel lug and lug nut. Note the splines on the shoulder of the lug. That's what keeps the lug seated in the hub and prevents it from turning when the lug nut is loosened or tightened.

Loosen all four remaining lug nuts one full turn. Jack the corner of the car. You won't be crawling under the car so a jackstand won't be required. Remove the wheel.

The brake caliper is fastened to the torque member with 2 bolts. Remove the lower of the two and swing the caliper up as far as it will go. Remove the brake pads.

The torque member is fastened to the steering knuckle with 2 bolts. Remove both bolts. Don't let that caliper dangle; use a piece of stiff wire to hang it from one of the strut spring coils.

Remove the rotor. No bolts, it just pulls off. Now you are looking at the hub.

Rotate the hub so that the broken lug is aligned with the cutout in the stamped steel baffle plate. The cutout is where the caliper was located before you removed it. Use a hammer and punch of suitable size to drive the broken lug inward. It will fall free of the hub.

Insert the new lug into the hole in the hub. Put some kind of spacer over the lug threads. The manual suggests 4 flat washers. Put a drop of oil on the threads and screw the lug nut backwards onto the lug. "Backwards" means to have the flat face of the lug nut bearing against the washers. Tighten the lug nut until it bottoms. That draws the lug into proper position in the hub. Remove the lug nut and washers.

Reassemble all of the removed parts. Tighten the five lug nuts to 80 foot-pounds.

This may seem like a lot of work but it really isn't. You can do this in less than an hour, without prior experience. If you've done this job before you can do it in 30 minutes.