General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM

Window Tinting

Greetings All,

I was wondering what advice the forum could provide me about window tinting. What are good brands? what should I look out for? Affects to the attennae, if any?

Thanks in advance.

BTW I am currently leaning towards a 35% tint all around
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You get what you pay for with tint... If you get cheap then your windows will be purple. I would suggest that you go with a "metallic" tint since it is tougher and will not fade over time to purple. California laws mandate that on your front windows you can only have 70% on them but the rest you can put what ever on them. By law in Cali, you can only go down 4" on the windshield. You can not put red, blue or amber colored tint on either. I hope this helps you out a little... Do a search for Llumar tint via google and you will find out more than you probably ever wanted to know about tint.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:45 PM
大陆弟弟

Llumar and 3M are reputed to be the best.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM

dude word of advice when u get ur windows tinted get a "lifetime warranty" that way if they bubble up or go purple the shop will change it for u for free thats what i did and for percentage 20% all around is a good shade anything lower and u wont see anything at night
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM

Another Comment

Originally Posted by ScholaR?
Affects to the attennae, if any?
If you have the later style "printed on the rear window" a metallic could affect it. I live in what could be considered an FM "fringe" area (~70 miles from the xmttr) and when I got my '02 MAX I noticed that reception was definitely worse than my '95 MAX which had an electric telescoping antenna. I do not listen to the `local' stations (~15-20 miles).

Originally Posted by ScholaR?
BTW I am currently leaning towards a 35% tint all around
Hopefully the installer will be up to date on DMV regs. Some states have regulations about minimum transmission so they can observe a car's occupants, even when it is nighttime.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
wants the ads to die

Originally Posted by thebear
If you have the later style "printed on the rear window" a metallic could affect it. I live in what could be considered an FM "fringe" area (~70 miles from the xmttr) and when I got my '02 MAX I noticed that reception was definitely worse than my '95 MAX which had an electric telescoping antenna. I do not listen to the `local' stations (~15-20 miles).

Hopefully the installer will be up to date on DMV regs. Some states have regulations about minimum transmission so they can observe a car's occupants, even when it is nighttime.
This is why I'm getting mine done again... darker...
Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had 50% on all windows besides windshield and it wasnt even noticeble, i didnt know the car was tinted when i bought it. The only reason why i know it was 50% is because there was film on the window and because the tint guy told me its already tinted. I asked him to put a film of 35% on the front 2 windows and 20% on the back 3 windows. Im telling you man, this combo is PERFECT. It looks very classy, and the 35/20(which is probably 30/15 because of the 50% film already on there) is not too dark and not too light. Its basically dark enough to look great but not dark enough to get you in trouble with the cops. The fading effect of 35/20 also looks good i think. Of course 20 all around will probably look a little better, but what i have now is great. I got it done for $140 with lifetime warranty. I don't know what kind of film it is, but its "smoked".
Old 08-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Mass_Media™

Go with two layers of 5% you don't have to worry about people seeing in....but you do have to worry about seeing out during the day, cops, black cars, backing up, turning left or right, pedestrians and thats about it....other than that it looks great
Old 08-22-2005, 05:39 PM
大陆弟弟

Wow that's dark, too bad that something that dark will get in so much trouble here in the East Coast.