General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Udp Pros/cons????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 06:44 PM
Master Will

I am seriously thinking of getting the UDP from unorthodox racing... I know the positves will be more HP/TQ gains but this is my daily driver,family vacation,taking my two sons to the doctor on occasion car...will my A/C not work up to par...or get Cold" enough are there any negatives for me getting it in my situation? I want the extra HP but I cannot sacrifice my family not being comfortable driving long hours...I need more hp/tq ...any comments and suggestions are appreciated...thank you ....William---in need of "Family" safe HP.....or do I just get thet y-pipe....and free flow cat....give me a run down on good HP.....performance...t/q mods..I need to be able for my Max to pull better when we are all piled in...wife,two sons me...luggage strollers...more luggage...etc...etc...
Old 05-25-2001, 06:50 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I don't have one, but.....

as far as I know, unless you have more than a MAJOR electronic or stereo set-up you'll be fine, here is the UR UDP FAQ page it should answer your quetsions--->

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.html#pulleys
Old 05-25-2001, 06:51 PM

You will get more out of the Y and CAT... But IMHO the UDP is worth it... It will take a little longer for the AC to get COLD but not very much... Other than that I love my UDP remember it does not create HP but frees it up... Now that I think about it all of the mods other than the SC, NOS, & Turbo only free it up....

Oh and as for lights no problems... Also no added vibration or noise...
Old 05-25-2001, 09:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

hmmm

It says on the fact page that for every pound off the UPD from stock = 2.7 hp and the max's UPD is almost 6lbs. lighter, sounds like some good horsepower freed up. Remember most of the power comes from weight reduction NOT underdriving.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:39 PM

16 hp?!?

i heard udp barely helps...2.7 * 6 lbs =16.2 hp "freed" up, does that mean a 16 hp gain?
Old 05-25-2001, 09:45 PM

theoretical

I don't believe it either i'm just stating what it says on the website. If it make 10 i'd be more than happy and that's pushing it.
Old 05-25-2001, 10:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm installing mine tomorrow. I'll let you know my impressions.

Dave
Old 05-25-2001, 10:43 PM
Master Will

quote from..........

the unorthodox site
"Ultra Street Lightened Underdrive Crank Pulleys
Unorthodox Racing Ultra Street lightened
underdrive pulleys are CNC-machined from
lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum billet.
Premium 6061-T6 aluminum billet ensures
the consistency of the material's strength
and balance. Tolerances are held to within
.001", and numerous machining steps are
used to ensure the lightest possible design.
In addition to fit, finish is just as important
and each piece is representative of this.

Power Gains
Unorthodox Racing pulleys can provide gains of 5 to 12 HP and 4 to 8 ft.-lbs. on normally aspirated engines and 8 to 16 HP and 8 to 18 ft.-lbs. on forced
induction engines. These are average gains. Gains as high as 37 HP and 45 ft.-lbs. have been realized on modified forced induction engines (see third dyno). These gains are obtained in two ways. First, and most important, is
the weight loss. An average of 2.7 HP is gained from every pound lost off the crank shaft. 85% of our gains are from weight loss. The rest of the gains are from underdriving, which accounts for about 15% of the total gains. We do not push underdriving for two main reasons. Our main reason is to keep charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and
water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. Second, not much horsepower is gained from extreme underdriving. All of our underdriving is
done with the crank pulley, not the accessory pulleys. This is done so maximum weight loss can be achieved at the crank where most of the horsepower gains are found.

The Unorthodox Advantage
Our Ultra Street pulleys cover a vast array of applications. This is a major advantage since you now have a single source for all your lightened underdrive pulley needs. Ultra Street pulleys are available in black, clear, red,
and blue anodizing. Please note that on some models red and blue anodizing is a special order and will sometimes require additional time to ship your order."

sounds good to me but is it worth $235.00?

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/ultras.html
Old 05-25-2001, 11:20 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

If you really want one order it from Phuong "Gotrice". He has them MUCH cheaper. Can't remember exact price he quoted me, but it was under $200. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:44 AM

anybody got dyno proof of udp on a automatic maxima...before and after.....
Old 05-26-2001, 01:10 AM

I know this sounds funny but I got mine from Stillen for $160 and the belts from discountautoparts.com for $12...
Old 05-26-2001, 05:01 AM

ya

Originally posted by buss95max
anybody got dyno proof of udp on a automatic maxima...before and after.....
i want one too but i'll need proof before i get one with all the skeptical mods out there. i saw a UPD is 12-15 HP on a 300ZX so even half that, 6-8, wouldn't be bad.
Old 05-26-2001, 07:36 AM
Master Will

STILLEN'S SITE HAS IT FOR................

$219.00 a little cheaper than the unorthodox price....or $235.00....
Old 05-26-2001, 10:23 AM

my opinion

I have the UPD and I wish I had the Gtech to get some kind of dyno. The horsepower gains are not much, but the car sure revs faster. Engine braking also is much faster, so in my opinion, it's what I think a lightened flywheel would feel like at a cheaper price. I'm running 500 Watts RMS with two amps and there is not problems with the UPD. I've yet to install my y-pipe, b-pipe, and 5th gen muffler (possibly the GForce ECU) but once all that is in I think I'm done modding. I set out to build an efficient, classy looking, and speed-driven car. I'm moving on to accessorise my soon to be kayak.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:29 AM

Re: my opinion

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I have the UPD and I wish I had the Gtech to get some kind of dyno. The horsepower gains are not much, but the car sure revs faster. Engine braking also is much faster, so in my opinion, it's what I think a lightened flywheel would feel like at a cheaper price. I'm running 500 Watts RMS with two amps and there is not problems with the UPD. I've yet to install my y-pipe, b-pipe, and 5th gen muffler (possibly the GForce ECU) but once all that is in I think I'm done modding. I set out to build an efficient, classy looking, and speed-driven car. I'm moving on to accessorise my soon to be kayak.

so it helps out the low end, i really need low end, mine is pothetic and will only get worse will cat-back.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Engine braking

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Engine braking also is much faster, so in my opinion, it's what I think a lightened flywheel would feel like at a cheaper price.
Interesting comment. I was wondering if the UDP would tend to let the engine decelerate more quickly. This is a real issue with 5th Gens. Our ECMs are designed to maintain rpms between shifts in order to reduce hydrocarbon output. This is sometimes referred to as the "hung throttle" effect. Anything to counteract or reduce this effect would be a plus. I suspect the flywheel option would probably produce the best results, but it's extremely expensive. The UDP sounds like a better way to go.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Whats the big concern about....

UDPs causing the engine to mess up?? I've heard since the UR UDPs don't have harmonic balancers there is a chance that things can go wrong..... whats the deal on that?
Old 05-26-2001, 01:09 PM

Re: Whats the big concern about....

Originally posted by DA-MAX
UDPs causing the engine to mess up?? I've heard since the UR UDPs don't have harmonic balancers there is a chance that things can go wrong..... whats the deal on that?
Use the search function to dispel the myth that the Maxima pulley acts as a harmonic balancer.
Old 05-26-2001, 01:13 PM

ya it is not a harmonic balancer, it's just a myth started by uneducated people.
Old 05-26-2001, 04:19 PM

If torque/hp and comfor is SO important to you, you should get K&N drop ins. They add 4hp. They are quiet also. UDP will not cause problems at all. At least it was designed for street cars.....

Y pipe and free flow cat will hugely sacrifice comfort.

If you really want good performance with the comfort. I highly recommend you to get Synthetic engine oil, synthetic transmission oil, and synthetic differential oil. This will make your car smoother and increase performance in certain degrees.......
Old 05-26-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick

Y pipe and free flow cat will hugely sacrifice comfort.
y pipe and free flow cat wont cause uncomfort unless u dislike loud noises.. gives me comfort. The UDP wont effect the A/C much, or not at all. And even tho it claims the few hp gain for 200+ dollars, it will be worth it because it frees up the low end we dont really have, and make our engine rev a bit faster. (as i've heard).
Old 05-26-2001, 11:24 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Something to consider here. You've got a 3rd gen. The 3rd gens crank pulley is clearly defined as a "damper" in the Chiltons and Nissan manual, therefore I recommend staying away from the pulley.

I use to think the crank pulley on the VQ was a damper because I misread my Chiltons manual and didn't notice I was reading info about the VE/VG motors. The VQ is completely balanced and sports some very fancy race-breed internals (ie balanced). Believe me, I've researched this a lot and have asked many folks about this pulley because I had always been hesitant about adding a UDP.

Dave
Old 05-26-2001, 11:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Today I installed my UDP. Let's just say if you don't have shop manual and the proper tools, this job should not be attempted.

Install:
Breaking the crank pulley bolt was a bit of a pain, but I was able to do it with a breaker bar and arm force (sucker's been on there for over 5 1/2 years!!!). 140 ft/lbs of torque is pretty significant. Taking of the main belt (AC, alternator, idler) was easy, but the power steering belt is a "beeatch". You need to undo a lock nut, adjustment bolt, and the power steering pulley housing bolt. The space in which to work is EXTREMELY limited and being a decent sized guy (6' 2" 175lbs), the spaces were really tight for my hands. Once I got the belt off, everything went on fairly easily. I actually used the longer "alternate" sized belt (.8" longer) and the fit was extremely tight. I don't know how anyone could get the standard shorter power steering belt on.

Weight
The stock pulley weighs about 5lbs and the UDP weighs ~1.5lbs.

Performance (ie "butt-dyno")
The engine feels even smoother, very strange. Absolutely no vibration nor noises. I didn't feel much difference in steering weight nor engine braking. Throttle response is improved noticably (not dramatically). Idle to 4500 rpms in 1st and 2nd gear acceleration clearly feels stronger. After 4500 rpms or in 3rd, it's hard to truely gauge any true gain (ie it might be there, it might not). Tip-in acceleration response is improved. I laid into the throttle a few times from a 1st gear roll and was actually able to spin the tires which is something I haven't been able to do since adding my lightweight 16s. 2nd gear starts are much easier to come by with hardly any unnecessary clutch slipping or heavy rpms (I like this fact).

Overall
I like this mod and I hope it helps me get more consistent off the line and lower my 60 foots a little. For a total of $200 (belts, new crank seal, UDP), I think this is a decent mod and should be considered after the basics are done. This mod feels actually like what adding the B-pipe felt like, added low and mid-range power. My B-pipe netted me consistently .1 lower ets and added over 1mph to my trap speeds. If you don't have exactly the right tools (patience, shop manual, breaker bar, 12mm wrench, 14mm wrench, full mm long socket set, rachet, torque wrench, jackstands) this should not be attempted because the end result could be an expenisve repair.

Goodluck.

Dave
Old 05-27-2001, 03:04 AM
Master Will

so it is worth....it.....

I think I will get one...but I not "that" mechanically inclined(tools,know how)I will let my dealer put it on.....
so it is settled...getting an udp can help in low end power and free up some HP....
GRRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave where did you get yours?

$$$$$$
Old 05-27-2001, 04:15 AM

Re: so it is worth....it.....

Originally posted by metallic97gxe
I think I will get one...but I not "that" mechanically inclined(tools,know how)I will let my dealer put it on.....
so it is settled...getting an udp can help in low end power and free up some HP....
GRRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave where did you get yours?

$$$$$$
dave B is a 5spd...5spds always get the best outta mods.

im sure an auto wouldnt get the same results.(if any)
Old 05-27-2001, 05:18 AM
Master Will

Re: Re: so it is worth....it.....

Originally posted by buss95max

dave B is a 5spd...5spds always get the best outta mods.

im sure an auto wouldnt get the same results.(if any)

I have any AUTO so ALL AUTO owners WILL NOT GET ANY GOOD results from getting an UDP...only 5SPEEED OWNERS?

I'M CONFUSED....I know there is an advantage of 5SPEED OWNERS OVER AUTO...WHERE IS DON????? He can help.....
Old 05-27-2001, 05:44 AM
Master Will

The MegaMax WebSite...

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/

UDP Article

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/UDP.html
Old 05-27-2001, 09:47 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

UDP for sale,
silver, plus both belts needed.
$150
email me if interested
Old 05-27-2001, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
UDP for sale,
silver, plus both belts needed.
$150
email me if interested
You've got mail.
Old 05-27-2001, 02:14 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

I understand when you say "family hp"

When I installed my UDP on my auto I didn't feel any noticeable hp gain from the butt. The A/C was affected a little while driving in stop and go city traffic, but unaffected cruising on hwy. My car windows aren't tinted so maybe this has a little to do with my A/C characteristics. I also did a before and after charging system check and no difference there. Until you go "force" all other mods will only free up hp and it's all different from 5spd to auto. The numbers that they show on their website are probably from mild to heavy moded N/A and force cars.
Old 05-27-2001, 04:01 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

William-

Get the y-pipe first and then get a B-pipe if you already don't have one and then get the UDP. The gains from the Y-pipe and B-pipe are much more substainl than the UDP.

A 5 speed will find a slightly bigger gain from the UDP because the drivetrain is a bit more efficent.

I don't think any Nissan dealer will install the UDP for you simply because it isn't factory equipment. You could go to a performance shop and have it installed, but you'll probably spend $150 on the install. Spending $350+ for everything (I've heard some that have paid $400+) doesn't sound like a particularily cost effective mod. I think I'd get the Y-pipe first.

Dave