General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installed UDP, my opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Today I installed my UDP. Let's just say if you don't have shop manual and the proper tools, this job should not be attempted.

Install:
Breaking the crank pulley bolt was a bit of a pain, but I was able to do it with a breaker bar and arm force (sucker's been on there for over 5 1/2 years!!!). 140 ft/lbs of torque is pretty significant. Taking of the main belt (AC, alternator, idler) was easy, but the power steering belt is a "beeatch". You need to undo a lock nut, adjustment bolt, and the power steering pulley housing bolt. The space in which to work is EXTREMELY limited and being a decent sized guy (6' 2" 175lbs), the spaces were really tight for my hands. Once I got the belt off, everything went on fairly easily. I actually used the longer "alternate" sized belt (.8" longer) and the fit was extremely tight. I don't know how anyone could get the standard shorter power steering belt on.

Weight
The stock pulley weighs about 5lbs and the UDP weighs ~1.5lbs.

Performance (ie "butt-dyno")
The engine feels even smoother, very strange. Absolutely no vibration nor noises. I didn't feel much difference in steering weight nor engine braking. Throttle response is improved noticably (not dramatically). Idle to 4500 rpms in 1st and 2nd gear acceleration clearly feels stronger. After 4500 rpms or in 3rd, it's hard to truely gauge any true gain (ie it might be there, it might not). Tip-in acceleration response is improved. I laid into the throttle a few times from a 1st gear roll and was actually able to spin the tires which is something I haven't been able to do since adding my lightweight 16s. 2nd gear starts are much easier to come by with hardly any unnecessary clutch slipping or heavy rpms (I like this fact).

Overall
I like this mod and I hope it helps me get more consistent off the line and lower my 60 foots a little. For a total of $200 (belts, new crank seal, UDP), I think this is a decent mod and should be considered after the basics are done. This mod feels actually like what adding the B-pipe felt like, added low and mid-range power. My B-pipe netted me consistently .1 lower ets and added over 1mph to my trap speeds. If you don't have exactly the right tools (patience, shop manual, breaker bar, 12mm wrench, 14mm wrench, full mm long socket set, rachet, torque wrench, jackstands) this should not be attempted because the end result could be an expenisve repair.

Goodluck.

Dave
Old 05-26-2001, 11:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice right up.
Whens the next time your heading out to the track? I think some 14.6's whould be nice . But who knows with this hot weather.
Old 05-27-2001, 08:48 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Nice write up.
Old 05-27-2001, 03:52 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by emax95
Nice right up.
Whens the next time your heading out to the track? I think some 14.6's whould be nice . But who knows with this hot weather.
Last time out at the track, I was running 15.1@93mph. When it's over 90 and the humidity is high, good ets aren't gonna happen. I've ran consistently slower ever since the temps got into the 80s and 90s. My best et was done in 60 degree weather. I hope to break back into the 14s this coming Friday at the national Nissan meet here in Kansas City.

Dave
Old 05-28-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Weight
The stock pulley weighs about 5lbs and the UDP weighs ~1.5lbs.
Dave
When I weighed the pulley it was around 2.5 lbs.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:57 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

or if people have air tools juss gun the bolt off....much much easier. if not, you can resort to the starter trick, my shop does that alot. that power steering belt was pretty hard to get off tho, luckily i got small hands easier to do. hummm, maybe i should get a UDP someday.
Old 05-28-2001, 03:13 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by got rice?

When I weighed the pulley it was around 2.5 lbs.
Which pulley are you referring too? Fed-Ex listed the entire package as weighing 2lbs. If the box weighs 1.1 lbs, Fed-Ex still lists it as 2 lbs. On my scale, the stocker weighs 5lbs and the UDP weighs ~1.5lbs.

Dave
Old 05-28-2001, 03:45 PM

Dave,

Nice write-up, and I agree totally with everything you said regarding the P/S belt being a real *****, the butt dyno, and not doing it without the manual and a lot of confidence.

BUT - I thought you said you would NEVER get the UDP?!! What happened to change your opinion? You were the guy who kept insisting that the stock pulley was a harmonic damper, and you would never take a chance with your engine for such an "insignificant" mod. Not trying to start an argument or anything, and I'm glad you came to see the light - but what made you make this 180 degree turnaround?

Greg
Old 05-28-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Which pulley are you referring too? Fed-Ex listed the entire package as weighing 2lbs. If the box weighs 1.1 lbs, Fed-Ex still lists it as 2 lbs. On my scale, the stocker weighs 5lbs and the UDP weighs ~1.5lbs.

Dave
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...531&p=45164877

maybe my scale is 1/2 pound off It's showing 2-2.5 lbs. Don't go by those Fed Ex weights you see on the site when you trace the tracking #. I've see bodykits weighing only 20 lbs when it actually weighs 35.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:56 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by GregP
Dave,

Nice write-up, and I agree totally with everything you said regarding the P/S belt being a real *****, the butt dyno, and not doing it without the manual and a lot of confidence.

BUT - I thought you said you would NEVER get the UDP?!! What happened to change your opinion? You were the guy who kept insisting that the stock pulley was a harmonic damper, and you would never take a chance with your engine for such an "insignificant" mod. Not trying to start an argument or anything, and I'm glad you came to see the light - but what made you make this 180 degree turnaround?

Greg
I posted an apology to you about a month ago, but I guess you never saw it. I talked to a couple other techs and they informed me the VQ pulley is just a pulley and not a balancer. They did say the VE/VG pulleys were a certain type of harmonic balancer. Also, I was looking at the wrong picture in my Chiltons manual. I was looking at a pick of the VE pulley which they refer to as a "balancer" crank pulley.

The VQ pulley DOES have a rubber ring sandwiched between the hub and the belt line. However, this ring is just a isolater used to quiet the pulley system.

Dave
Old 05-29-2001, 05:30 AM

Thanks. I've been offline for a while. Hope that pulley gives you the extra hp you need in your 1/4 miles times!!

GP
Old 05-29-2001, 10:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OKay, I have a question about the UDP. DOes it harm the transmission or anything? I mean, with an ATX, does it put unnecessary strain on it or what-not? I am seriously considering getting one, but I need to make sure I'm not shortening the life of the vehicle.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:07 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The UPD has nothing to do with the tranny...